Notices

I decided to quit smoking today

Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I decided to quit smoking today

Hi Guys,
I'm on Day 25 here and decided to quit smoking again today. I made all of October 2012 without a cigarette (while still drinking) but eventually went back to it (the drinking certainly didn't help stay quit). I decided I'm done today. Had my last smoke and trashed the rest of the pack. Have patches/gum to help if need be and will stock up on gum, oj, oranges, and health food. I know many say that you shouldn't quit smoking while trying to quit drinking, but I think that if I stop smoking now it's only more of a reason to never drink again. I am scared of this fight, almost more so than alcohol, but very excited to live a healthier life. Best wishes to you all and any advice on ways to fight is always appreciated.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish you all the luck and hope to join you in the near future.....
-Sunder
Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have a smoking forum. Check it out.

Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

RiverFriend, I just quit almost a week ago, based on scare tactics from my dentist. It's actually gone more smoothly than I would have thought. I can use all the tools that are stopping me from drinking in this as well. I did pick up one of those electronic cigs for now. It's a crutch, but it works. Good luck! It's not easy, but I bet we'll feel the health benefits really quickly!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all and I didn't realize there was a smoking forum so I'll check that out for sure! Freefall, I hope that this goes smoothly as well. When I quit in October I was using the full dose patches, nicotine gum and the e-cigs and am surprised I didn't nicotine OD haha. This time I've decided to not use the E-cig because after a few weeks it made me want a smoke more but it certainly did help a lot at times. Good luck to everyone else quitting or thinking about quitting.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I made the same descision as you today.
No nicotine-replacements for me.
Let's see if I can stick with the pain of detox.
Lollipops, sugartabs, herbal tea.
We're in the same wagon lol.

yeehaw
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am sick to death of smoking as well. And want to join you on the road to healthy living. I awake every morning with the tight chest, and my thoughts become morbid immediately. I just don't need the negative thoughts associated with smoking any more. Good luck to you.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Coming Clean - Congrats to you!!!! I checked out the Nicotine/Smoking forum that Least suggested and just posted in there asking if anyone wants to create some kind of "Class of April" for those of us quitting smoking as additional support. Feel free to check it out and chime in, heck maybe I'll just start that thread now.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do it Shaun!! Yes this morning I was smoking and throwing out a cigarette on my driveway. We live in the country and spend a ton of time doing small scale organic farming and I looked around at the cig butts and over to the lush natural garden and thought, it's time to do this. The morbid thoughts are on my mind more and more about this habit.

I hear it makes many attempts and this will be my second in 6 months but am committed and hopeful. I wrote down reasons why I want/need to stop and set a few goals like running a 5k this fall and being alive for my wife and infant son to see them grow older. And of course, I would prefer not to go out on an oxy tank....some guys at meetings I go to are on them and it seems like a tough way to live. Accepting the things I can't change (smoking 20 years) and praying for courage to change the things I can (quitting today). Even if you're not into AA, the serenity prayer is encouraging for us all.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes River Friend

D
Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dang it, I didn't make it. Just found out some really sad news and smoked.....it's going to be harder to not drink over this one. Perhaps a meeting tonight or tomorrow. I know that if I drink it's not because of this sad news rather because I'm an alcoholic, always want to drink, and can easily use this to justify me doing so. I will not drink today....God it's hard to even type that.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I will join the class..