Notices

Easter made me feel like I'm the problem again

Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You're doing so good. Don't let yourself think you're the abnormal one. Your girlfriend isn't interested in sobriety or supporting you, which is painful I'm sure. But you have to keep the focus on your own recovery. If you can't change your friends, change your friends.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that your girlfriend does not respect you. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be in a relationship with someone who is a heavy drinker while your trying to stay sober. I have been lucky that my husband is not a drinker, he used to enjoy a couple with me...as I went on to have many more, but he saw how it wasn't fun anymore, and stopped. For a whole there I thought he was the "boring" one. That he was too serious and judged me too much, until I woke up an realized I have the problem. I would reevaluate your relationship. You have a new look on life it seems and she is still stuck back where you used to be.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In early sobriety it's crucial to have an escape plan. That often means having a separate form of travel to events, such as bringing your own car, or enough cash for a taxi, or money/tickets for mass transit. And, being prepared to leave when the situation feels uncomfortable.
They all broke their promise to you: so that was a deal-breaker: leaving politely saying you "aren't ready to be around a lot of drinking" would have been totally acceptable.
Or less honesty: feign a headache or a fever coming on.
Nothing is more precious than our sobriety and lots of us found that we had to have a complete ban on being at drinking events.

I have a few years of sobriety now and I can handle being around drinkers and alcohol. But in early sobriety, I was too fragile for that and I did not accept most invitations. And had my escape plans, which I used on more than one occasion.