Notices

I'm back, round 2

Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back, round 2

Hi all, well I'm back again. About 1.5 years ago, with the help of a very good book and SR, I completed 60 days sober. Unfortunately, at that time, I decided that perhaps I can be one of the extremely few individuals who can control my drinking to reasonable levels. Well, big surprise, it lasted all of about 1-2 weeks. At which time I just fell back into my old habits.

A little about myself. I’m 45 years old. I have a good marriage and two great kids!! I’ve been drinking pretty heavy for about 27 years. I exercise somewhat regularly and most of the time eat pretty well. I have a good job, never miss work and never drink in the AM. I probably drink 3-4 times per week. On the days I do drink, it can be anywhere from 4-5 drinks on a weekday to 10-14 drinks (wine, beer, booze) on a weekend night.

My wife is the social drinker I wish I could be. She has 1-2 glasses of wine at a social event, and that’s about it. She can go 2 weeks with nothing and not think anything of it. No one in my family, nor my doctor is telling me I need to quit drinking. So I’m not aware of any serious problems due to drinking..yet! However, I know that its going to kill me!! Maybe not this year, or the next five years, but if I keep this up I will die from it at a young age. It makes me tired, nauseas, lazy and in some occasions embarrassed. I’m sick of feeling like crap! I know I will be a better husband, father, employee, friend and overall person if I quit!!

So here I am, and I am going to take another shot at being sober. I listened to a great audiobook called “Alcohol Lied to Me” by Craig Beck. Its somewhat similar in concept to Allen Carr’s “Easy Way to Quit Drinking”. These were two very motivating books. Right now, Im about two weeks sober and just got through a family event yesterday where everyone drank. So far so good!! Thanks for listening....and happy Easter to those who celebrate!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I noticed that be we both live in NJ, but the real reason I am responding to you is that I know we can both do this. We can all do this together and thank goodness this website exists! I am a young professional and started drinking around age 22, mainly to "handle" my anxiety issues. Yes, alcohol lied to me too! 10+ years later, I just found this website last week and gave detox a try with the help of my doc and meds. I was ok (withdrawal symptoms aside) for a week and was SO completely proud of myself I wanted to run down the street screaming "I can do this!!" Well, then Good Friday I had off from work. I live alone and a little voice in my head said "hey, you didn't feel alone when you drinking.. Remember?" Again, it was alcohol lying to me. Next thing I know I'm at the liquor store and the rest of the day is a blur. I woke up on Saturday completely embarrassed, ashamed of myself. Frantically checking my phone to see how much of an ass I had made of myself...

So, yesterday was another day 1 for me. So, if today your day is day 1 or 2 too, with the help of the amazing people on this website, let's get through the next few days sober together. Baby steps. I can't even handle the thought of forever right now.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Ostrich! When I quit smoking cigarettes 23 years ago, I had tried maybe about 5-7 times unsuccessfully before I finally was able to quit for good. Some of the most successful people in the world failed on their first several attempts at whatever it is they tried to do. Eventually they succeeded! Im just going to try to always keep fresh in my brain how crappy I feel the day after drinking. Its always awful!! Waking up sober the day has so many possibilities!! Waking up hung over means one thing for me..lazy, unproductive day feeling like garbage!! With the help of each other and all the other good people on this site, I'm sure we will both get to where we want to be!!! I definitely suggest checking out either of those books I mentioned in my previous post. They really helped me a lot!!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome Betterlife! I was like you, I haven't had the bad stuff happen yet. And I have a partner who can drink just one or two drinks (what is even the point? I think).

I'll look up those books, I like reading recovery books... I'm currently reading Flying Drunk, someone here recommended it and also One Breathe at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Even though I slept like crap (withdrawal), I am awake and sober and just for that alone I feel 1000% better than I did yesterday
Old 03-31-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Betterlife1,

I sent you a couple of links that float around Sober Recovery. It is in a Private Message which is under User CP, at the top left of the command bar (or whatever it is called).

RDBplus3
Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

WElcome back! Here's to your success this time.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome!

I did the same thing and have been struggling to stop the progression if the occasional glass and turning back into habit. I had some wine yesterday, just poured out the remainder and my husband bought wine to bring to Easter toda, we will be bringing and leaving it at my MILs house.

I have been sticking with exercise, but need to start reading again and checking in here daily. Glad you are feeling well today. I need to go back to work tomorrow, and plan on doing so with a clear head!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LDT

Happy Easter to you, Better....glad you are back. I also exercised when I was drinking. I thought that would counteract the negative effects of the alcohol......it didn't. Believe it or not, Easter use to be a big wine drinking weekend in our family ( ???) But this is my 3rd sober Easter and I couldn't be happier.

Best Wishes!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Betterlife and congrats on 2 weeks!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good to see you again Betterlife1:

I tried everything to get that "Easy way to quit drinking". I had to go to AA ....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey BL..another Jersey person here...You recognize the signs....you can stop it NOW...before things get worse. (go rutgers)! lol

I'm glad you are here asking questions.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back

D