Notices

Newcomer.....day 5

Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer.....day 5

Hi, I have been a drinker for about 25 years. Heavier some years than others. I have quit many times before but it never sticks. One time ii quit drinking and smoking cigarettes for a full 9 months, and did the exercise and diet thing and looked and felt really good but I let a certain person bring me down because this person thought I was acting like I was too good for everyone. well eventually, i let this person break my spirit and i gave in to my nagging soul to have a drink. my own fault, i was weak! a couple of years of drinking after that i had a anxiety attack which i thought i was having a stroke, i was prescribed ativan for my anxiety and quit drinking for a very short period and realized i can take the ativan the next morning after drinking to control the anxiety. that worked for a little while but i know i cant take a pill and drink because I am already killing my liver as it is, so i quit the ativan, i never really abused the ativan i would only take one or 2 a day, but alcohol was and is my drug of choice so i went back to alcohol and learned to deal with my anxiety without my ativan and still drink alcohol. today i am 5 days sober and have very minimal anxiety which is making me look forward to having more sober days a head. All I can say is I am just taking it one day at a time, and keep telling the part of my brain that wants alcohol or even thinks about alcohol which seems like a million times a day is "I DON'T DRINK ANYMORE!! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for any support and letting me be here.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

That is great! Congratulations and welcome to SR!

I'm still pretty early on so the only advice I really have is to prepare yourself for the first time you feel anxious while sober. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but if you do have a day where the anxiety is very strong, have a plan in place for how you're going to handle it without drinking. I think that was one of the first big challenges for me.

You're doing awesome!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raykay View Post
. I have quit many times before but it never sticks. .
Well done Raykay. You are on the right path. Have you considered ,how are you going to replace the void and fill for the time, which is going to be available to you now as you no more drink ? While, you can keep reminding yourselves that " I DON'T DRINK ANYMORE " , it is equally important to get engaged in some activities to start feeling natural relaxation. It could be any thing. Sports, Adventures, Exercise, hobby, performing arts, helping others, volunteering works or anything.

I had the similar experience like you and I used to relapse because I was trying very hard to remain sober and not drink. Last time, I changed that and started some exciting activities. I filled the void with something , I always wanted do since my child hood. It seems to be working and now I am so occupied that , the thoughts around alcohol do not come to my mind , for days.. I also keep reading and posting at SR. It helps me a lot.

Keep at it and you will really enjoy sober life.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family and congrats on five days sober! That's a great start. I agree that you need a plan for how you'll handle anxiety and stress without drinking. Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome. Congrats on 5 days sober!
Originally Posted by Raykay View Post
and keep telling the part of my brain that wants alcohol or even thinks about alcohol which seems like a million times a day is "I DON'T DRINK ANYMORE!!
Achieving this separation between the part of my brain that craves alcohol and the part of my brain that is me was a huge step in improving my ability to withstand the cravings and urges. I don't know if you've read about AVRT, but you are essentially practicing it. There's more info about it over in the Secular Recovery section of the forums if you're interested.

Stay Strong!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR RayKay

I found that surrounding myself by people who support my decision to be sober pretty important, even if that is mainly online! Being here is like having your own personal cheering squad, especially if you join a 'Class of..' thread. Oh and I had hideous anxiety when I was drinking which has pretty much disappeared. It makes life a lot easier x
Old 03-31-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Ray

D
Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome RayKay! This is a great place to talk things over with people who really understand. I had no one in my life who got what I went through - until I came here. I drank for 30 yrs. & now have 5 sober. It can be done, and you can do it.