Notices

What helps you to get centered?

Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What helps you to get centered?

Yet another case of the anxious Saturday nights...

All of my friends are doing something in which alcohol is involved so its just me with myself tonight. I went hiking today, but might go for an evening run still to release energy. Other than that, I'm planning to read, maybe rent a movie, and clean up a bit. I'm feeling a bit envious tonight of everyone with their plans, even though I know I shouldn't. I know what alcohol has brought me in the past, and that things aren't always what they seem with all the "fun" everyone has out. Just trying to get centered and find a place of inner peace.

Does anyone else have any good suggestions for getting centered when feeling off?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats a different thing for all of us Janie.
For me it's probably music - listening or playing.

I know it's not fun being at home when you don;t necessarily want to be tho - do you have any friends who don't drink, or wouldn't if you did something non alcohol-related?

I think it's important to realise that sobriety is not about becoming a monk or a hermit - unless that's what you want, it's likely to wear on you a little...

D
Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Lots of people meditate. I never have, but some folks on here whose opinion I respect have recommended it. I might give it a try one of these off nights.

Good Luck tonight!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reading, definitely - Walking and Music, always.

Spending time with my grandchildren, of course.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like to think of some food I like that I've never made myself and then make it. Between the trip to the store to buy everything, preparing and eating the meal, it's a lot of time killed which I've spent focusing on something other than everything that's going on in my head.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I focus on my dogs and cat. I give them lots of attention and enjoy being with them and marvelling at the wonders they are. I put my energy into being a good mom to my furkids. It pays off too, I have happy pets and I'm happy.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
Yet another case of the anxious Saturday nights...

All of my friends are doing something in which alcohol is involved so its just me with myself tonight. I went hiking today, but might go for an evening run still to release energy. Other than that, I'm planning to read, maybe rent a movie, and clean up a bit. I'm feeling a bit envious tonight of everyone with their plans, even though I know I shouldn't. I know what alcohol has brought me in the past, and that things aren't always what they seem with all the "fun" everyone has out. Just trying to get centered and find a place of inner peace.

Does anyone else have any good suggestions for getting centered when feeling off?
Prayer and Meditation helps me. I follow the AA program. Writing inventory helps me. I see the truth. I face and am rid of what's blocking me, and I get back on track. I can start my day over at any time.

I can ask forgiveness and go forward.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exercise helps me alot... And then movies... I love watching a good movie...

AA meetings and focusing on other people help alot.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

A book and a movie sound nice. Music helps me a ton. Prayer and meditation. Sober dialing a bunch of people in my phone. A nice meal plus some coffee or tea. Taking a long hot shower or bath. I like going on a long drive in the country too.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know it's not fun being at home when you don;t necessarily want to be tho - do you have any friends who don't drink, or wouldn't if you did something non alcohol-related?

I think it's important to realise that sobriety is not about becoming a monk or a hermit - unless that's what you want, it's likely to wear on you a little...

D
I did go to a get together at a friend's place last night where none of my friends were drinking. That was nice and relaxed but tonight all of my friends seem to be going to events that are at bars (band, birthday party). It crossed my mind to go and not drink, but I know better by now...I'm unpredictable even to myself when it comes to being in a bar.

I would prefer to get out.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A nice long brisk walk. So simple, but very effective.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Find somewhere fantastic to watch the moon come up!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you prefer to get out, how about a movie, or a little shopping?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

The daily practice of gratitude really helps me. Your post implies you do value things other than "fun" with alcohol. Gratitude helps me to reinforce that.

Those saturday nights commonly got ugly for me. Alcohol made me more isolated, not more social. Sundays were a disaster zone. I now value my weekend morning time- they are the best part of the week in many respects.

Funnily enough I now like monday mornings(LOL)
Old 03-30-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Last night I went to a coffee bar that serves alcohol and everyone around me was drinking. I ordered a few coffees and hot chocolates and sat out front smoking and people watching. I know it can be tempting to be in a bar around drinkers but I find it a good experiment. I didn't have "fun" but I still talked to some people and satisfied the part of my brain that wants to get out and mingle. I am on my 8th day of sobriety. Hope all stays well.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LDT

Yoga never fails me.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, my dog keeps me centered but if you don't have one... I would suggest: Exercising: Can't go wrong with it: From Yoga to Kickboxing... Doesn't matter... A good conversation with a good friend... Maybe write in a diary, watch a good movie... A meeting with other recovering addicts (NA or other types of meetings...) But it sounds like you already have some good ideas and most importantly staying open and in a good space... Congratulations on staying strong!!!