Notices

This is not a line...My friend is looking for a meeting...

Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is not a line...My friend is looking for a meeting...

My best friend lives in the middle of nowhereish and just told me that she might need help. All indicators point toward yes in my understanding of my disease. I want to find a way for her to attend a meeting. She has an idea that she can find recovery on her own, without a meeting. We now that this doesn't work. She is so far away, a plane ride and a long drive, that I can't go get her. Any recommendations?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JennDow View Post
My best friend lives in the middle of nowhereish and just told me that she might need help. All indicators point toward yes in my understanding of my disease. I want to find a way for her to attend a meeting. She has an idea that she can find recovery on her own, without a meeting. We now that this doesn't work. She is so far away, a plane ride and a long drive, that I can't go get her. Any recommendations?

Where is she at? Google AA meetings in her area.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is possible for people to quit on their own. In fact, more people probably quit without meetings than those who do. It's really up to her to decide, but you can always try to make it simple for her by looking at meetings as deeker said. There are also alternatives to AA. SMART recovery is one, but there are others. No everyone feels comfortable with meetings. The important thing is she doesn't drink and finds a way to help her doing that.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Well first things first, she has to want to get sober.. And if she thinks she can do it on her own, then you may just may have to let her try.. And not drinking is not getting sober.

So thats what getting to the meetings would help her do.. Is to truly get sober..

but if she wants it, she can call her local AA office, and explain things to them and they will help her get to a meeting.

And have her join here, because those of us that have gotten some decent amount of sobriety do know it is very very hard to do it alone.. It doesn't have to be AA, but trying to do it alone, Fact doesn't have good outcomes..