Notices

The thing about a 'relapse'

Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The thing about a 'relapse'

you didn't 'relapse', you 'drank'.

I think the word 'relapse' can give people the unfortunate idea that the CHOICE they consciously made was something other than the bad decision to drink alcohol. I can understand using the word if you've been sober for years and then succumbed to the pressures and drank, causing a return to past behaviors, but to use the term after not drinking for a few days, weeks, even months is, imho, a way of making excuses for the choice you've made. I'm not trying to be combative here, just warning people that maybe the words you've heard or have used are playing against your best interests.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've known of people who relapse a few times per month....dude, you're just drinking...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, and it's kind of insulting to those of us who are making a serious effort at quitting.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's funny what bugs us and what doesn't, eh? Use of the word 'relapse' doesn't bother me, but for some reason I don't like the phrase 'fell off the wagon'. Makes it sound like you were just minding your own business and liquor got poured down your throat accidentally. If you're off 'the wagon', you jumped off, you didn't fall.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you feel insulted by the word avocado but... it's just a word.

Whether you accept the premise or not, it's pretty obviously closely tied to the idea of alcoholism as a disease.

I think we need to be careful not to univeralise our personal opinions.

I don't believe that use of the word relapse (or even 'slip') necessarily means people are any less 'serious' than anyone else.

People deal with drinking again in various ways - if someone's disgusted with themselves, and one word makes them feel slightly less like going out and getting drunk or high again than another word might, I say have at it?

D
Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i relapse on a race track and slip on ice.
if i call it anything, its a premeditated drunk. got pretty po'ed when i was told i was on one, but by the grace of God, when the thought of,"screw this, im gettin drunk" and before gettin to the store, i took a shower. thats when it all hit me: it all started a few months before that thought came up.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I completely agree. I've never relapsed - I've chosen to drink.

However, for some people that come here, especially newcomers that have never experienced the words or phrases linked to addiction - they will say I've relapsed on day 4.

That is their understanding of the word as how they see it - a relapse.

It's just jargon. Horse for courses.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by avocado View Post
you didn't 'relapse', you 'drank'.

I think the word 'relapse' can give people the unfortunate idea that the CHOICE they consciously made was something other than the bad decision to drink alcohol. I can understand using the word if you've been sober for years and then succumbed to the pressures and drank, causing a return to past behaviors, but to use the term after not drinking for a few days, weeks, even months is, imho, a way of making excuses for the choice you've made. I'm not trying to be combative here, just warning people that maybe the words you've heard or have used are playing against your best interests.
I'd have to disagree, based on your premise If I am sober for a few weeks, then replapse I have actually just chosen to drink... However if I'm sober for a few years, then replapse it somehow was't my choice to drink?

It's always a choice. Relapse (IMO) is a word used to describe binge drinking after a period of sobriety when one has made the choice to try to be sober. A slip is having a few drinks (or many) on a single night after an extended period of sobriety, when someone knows that even a single drink could send them into a relapse.

These are my definations, but they are not the same for everyone, and there really is no reason they should be. I think everyone has their own type of relapse and their own slips. To feel like you have to earn a relapse cheapens the idea of hope for many newcommers to sobriety. I think we all know we choose to drink.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used the words `fell off the wagon` this morning, if I didn`t feel like I was responsible for that I wouldn`t have felt so gutted and disgusted with myslef. All my friends and family are out tonight drinking. I`m in and sober here because I`m deadly serious about arresting my alcoholism.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I used the words `fell off the wagon` this morning, if I didn`t feel like I was responsible for that I wouldn`t have felt so gutted and disgusted with myslef. All my friends and family are out tonight drinking. I`m in and sober here because I`m deadly serious about arresting my alcoholism.
YAY FOR SOBER AT HOME!!!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

With all do respect to everyone who posted here, I have to admit reading this post and some of the comments made me feel pretty bad about myself. Im a newcomer and I slip up all the time but I do feel I am trying really hard to obtain sobriety. I even used the word, 'relapse' and felt like it may have been inappropriate but thats how it felt for me at the time.

I understand how frustrating it may be for folks who have a few years of sobriety under their belt or get annoyed with people like me who come on here every other day whining about how they slipped up and are back at day 1 but try to remember how hard it was for you when you first started.

Idk, I guess I shouldn't let this bother me the way that I am letting it but it really did make me feel embarassed and that maybe I shouldn't post as often as I do. I know thats silly and I will continue to post but maybe cut us newbies a little slack when we say something in the wrong context.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just go by the strictest definitions. Relapse means to return to a prior activity after a period of abstinence. If someone is a daily drinker, and they manage to stay 6 days sober, then get drunk... they've relapsed.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

maybe I shouldn't post as often as I do.
definitely don't do that.
SR is for people who are trying to stay clean and sober.

You belong here

D
Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really didn't mean to make anyone feel bad or attack anyone. My point isn't that you're 'bad' for using the word, but that maybe the word isn't your friend. Maybe it's a 'bad' word to even use to describe what you've done. It seems like a way to excuse behvior, to distance one's self from the choice that was made to cause that 'relapse'. What made me think of this was purely my own thoughts. I sat there thinking that maybe I want to drink some beer, that I can now have one beer and it won't be a big deal, at worst I will just 'relapse' and then I realized how dangerous that is to think that way. Fundamentally it is my choice. The term 'relapse' seems to defer responsibility for that choice.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Newhope, I agree with Dee 100% - if people like you (and me, back on day one again) felt we couldn't come here to SR to tell our story, then I suspect the membership would be cut in half immediately!

I believe it's important to be able to 'get it out', i.e. put words to the whole experience of quitting, staying quit, and - yes - relapsing / slipping / choosing to drink (I tend to use the terms interchangeably).

It's when we can speak our truths to others, as unpleasant as those truths often are, that we can hear back from others a bit of their own 'experience, strength and hope'. That's GOLD - especially for social isolates like me.

So, yeah please DO keep on posting! Doesn't matter if it sounds like whining! People who don't want to hear it can simply shut their ears / read another post.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by avocado View Post
I think the word 'relapse' can give people the unfortunate idea that the CHOICE they consciously made was something other than the bad decision to drink alcohol. I can understand using the word if you've been sober for years and then succumbed to the pressures and drank, causing a return to past behaviors, but to use the term after not drinking for a few days, weeks, even months is, imho, a way of making excuses for the choice you've made.
I think this is almost an elitist attitude. The way your quote came across to me, and you might not have meant it this way, is:

"Hi everyone... You didn't have the strength to refrain from drinking alcohol. Because you haven't been sober for a lengthy period of time... you don't deserve to use the term relapsed. It should be reserved for only those who have achieved "success...." over a long timeframe. As someone newly seeking sobriety you can't call it anything except consciously choosing to fail."

I have been logging into SR since December. I have struggled to put together longer than 14 days sober. But I have a strong desire to quit drinking. I just relapsed after several weeks. (according to my sponsor and physician).

If I go one day or God willing 40 years then stumble... it is what it is. A relapse, falling off the wagon, loosing sobriety, temporarily slipping up...

I just don't quite understand the purpose of your post and found it pretty discouraging.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It makes no difference what words we choose - it is the courage to come here, among supportive people, that matters.

Over the years I've "relapsed, drank, not drank, had a sip, had one, had none, slipped, fell off the wagon, jumped off the wagon, plugged the jug"...you get my point. MY bottom line is I choose to live a sober life and it ain't easy but I'm doing it for almost 7 months now. And how I define my personal journey is up to no one but ME.

I hope no one reads this thread and becomes discouraged. Sometimes, as alcoholics, we get hung up on things - classic behavior trait and I actually believe it makes us pretty interesting people. I've seen people hung up on day counts, whether the vanilla in the cupcake they ate "counted" as "slip" or "relapse"...the list could go on for pages.

Everyone here has a desire to not drink and most are fighting like hell to achieve that each and every day. Focusing on semantics for too long just distracts from our primary purpose - to help each other.

Respectfully and just my 2cents (which are worth the same as everyone else's!)
Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I "relapsed" and "fell of the wagon" for about 42 years. I don't know any other way to put it.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

that relapse means we drank again...yes. of course.
that drinking again means relapse, or slip, or mistake, or wobble, or tumbling off wagons and carts...not my words, and some of those words might minimize more than others.
in my own decades of drinking, i thought of it simply in terms of "oh ****!"
after i got sober, i described it as having had a gazillion tries and relapses in my past.
after i'd been sober longer, i saw that the gazillion relapses and tries had in fact been my pattern; a way of trying for control and not managing.
a way of thinking my choice was free and clear. it wasn't. it was captive to addiction/alcoholism.

none of this takes away from my attempts being genuine and desperate each time.

the people who keep posting here and keep coming back have my admiration. when i was bouncing around in my "gazillion relapses", i never had the guts to post and talk with ANYONE. all hidden and secret. takes guts to come here and speak about drinking again, no matter what you call it.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, lets us remember why we are here and forgive each other for any misunderstandings that may have been unintentionally expressed. I appreciate how open it is here to share our thoughts and opinions as it allows us to communicate honestly about ourselves and with each other.

@avocado thanks for sharing the thought process you were having over the term 'relapse' when you were considering having a beer. It is powerful how some words can make or break our commitments and I will try to be more vigiliant to what my AV is telling me next time I consider drinking.