Notices

Replacing my Addiction

Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Replacing my Addiction

Thankfully I have finally reached day 2 again and tonight is going to be a test for me because although I am firm in my resolve for an alcohol free life, tonight after work I will be tempted like every other Friday. And I'm pretty sure its going to be bad.

But something I have been focusing on a great deal is running again. I have always wanted to complete an Iron Man and know that if I keep drinking that will never happen. So, I signed up for a half marathon next Sunday and it will be my first attempt at an organized race. I have faith that I can do it so as long as I quit drinking and continue to run instead.

Im finding that nothing else seems to get me more excited right now than running and it makes me feel a whole lot better than drinking. I want to make running my focus and am starting to think that I am replacing addictions. I certainly do experience a runner's high occasionally and I do know that addicts will sometimes jump from addiction to addiction. So, I guess this is what I am replacing alcohol with and in a way it kind of concerns me but right now Ill focus on anything to stay out of the bottle. In my head, running is better than drinking. Right?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
newcomer

Good for you
Running is tons better than drinking. That's a good way to do it, by replacing the alcohol addiction with a healthy one.

We are here for you! Best of luck!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Running is definitely better for you than drinking, assuming it's not to the extreme of causing physical harm. Perhaps you could find a trainer or someone else who has experience with triathlons locally and plan out a healthy/reasonable training plan for the months/days/weeks leading up to the race.

I used to run a lot in my younger days. Not sure how much training you've had, but have you ever run a half-marathon before? ( 13.1 miles ). If not maybe a 5k or 10k would be a better place to start.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I quit smoking, I got really in to running. Then, I somehow replaced running with drinking. I gradually lost the desire to run. I was too hungover to run in the mornings, and running in the evenings cut in to my drinking time.

I think I'll go for a run this evening. Tomorrow morning too.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Don't throw the addiction term around too freely. Addictions make our lives unmanagable. If running makes your life unmanagable, quit.

Have you been running enough to tackle a 13.1 race? You don't need a heart attack your first week of recovery. Don't they usually have a 5K walk/run at these races too, for the beginners?

PS
I see now that Scott has the same concerns. Running isn't an addiction, but wanting to overdue something...that's an alcoholic characteristic. Be careful.

Last edited by doggonecarl; 03-29-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Added postscript
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love running and find myself running a lot more 7 days out from my last drink. It's a release... I don't think it's an addictive behavior. I think it clears your mind and offers solitude and moments of clarity.

That said... I have a friend that runs ultramarathons. It completely absorbs him. He literally runs halfs and full marathons daily with 30+ milers on the weekends... spending hours and hours training. We've all agreed there's something a little "off" with him... =)

I'm assuming if you're looking to tackle a half that quickly you already have quite a bit of training. I'm a regular (when sober) 5 - 7 mile/day... it's been a half as a goal for two years. Maybe this summer... But, if Al Roker can run a full...

Best of luck.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I am sober (which I have logged more sober days than drunk days and my alcohol intake has dropped dramatically), I log about 3-5miles a day and about 15-25miles a week. I'm going to try and slowly increase it each week until I reach 13.1 miles. But, no I have never competed in an organized bonafide race. Ive also come to realize that I don't need to be the fastest just need to work on my endurance. There was a while there when I was pushing myself way too hard to make certain time goals but I've realized that's ridiculous and destructive. Besides, slow and steady wins the race right?

Im thinking that I have a little under a month to train for it (its on 4/21/13), and if I can't complete it what real harm has been done? I can only try and I feel confident that even if I don't complete it (I have 3.5 hrs) than I will come pretty close and that's not too bad either. Besides, it was super cheap to sign up for too.

@doggonecarl: You're right I shouldn't throw the term addiction around. I guess it just kind of raised a red flag because I tend to overdo things and running could very well lead me to starting a new obsession or hurting myself. But, I am finding it as a good distraction from alcohol and it kept me straight last night and Im hoping this trend continues.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you can totally do it in a month. Good luck!

Invest the money you'd spend on booze in some really good shoes. That makes a HUGE difference.... The day I stopped in our local running store and bought $115 Mizunos after a fitting as opposed to the $50 Nikes at a box mall store... changed my running.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by soopy99 View Post
I think I'll go for a run this evening. Tomorrow morning too.
That's my goal too.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I replaced my addiction with running, guitar, house work. In fact, I run any time I feel anxiety coming on. I find it very helpful therapeutically.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like a really good goal and that you have a good plan.

I hope you keep us posted on how it's going.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There is no substitution for excercise. It helped me tremendously when I got sober a couple years ago. Since my relapse and my schedule therapy, meetings and the horrible winter I haven't excercised enough lately and I need to get back to it. My cravings always subside when I excercise.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

@Anna: I will definately keep everyone updated!

@Flyernation: I agree with you about excercise killing cravings. I found that when a craving comes, its better to hit the gym than the bottle. I tell myself that after the workout, if I still want to drink than I can. So far, the decision after a good run is always no to drinking.

Now I just have to stick to my training plan (which includes zero alcohol) and I think I should be able to do this. Thanks for all the support everyone!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes newhope

D
Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Was able to stick to my running schedule and ran 3.10 miles yesterday but the rain has come out and ruined my hiking and running plans.

So, I guess off to the treadmill I go. Hope everyone had a great Friday night and enjoying their Saturday afternoon.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I say embrace the elements! Oh how I use to love to run in the rain!

I use to be a runner. I remember how great that felt; like you could fly! Gawd, I miss that.

Also I remember how running would help me not to drink. I couldn't drink before a run (obviously, or it would make me sick). I couldn't drink when I was running - (and if you are out for a good long run, that can be a substantial amount of time). And I couldn't drink after I ran because that would make me feel horrible too.

So if you run often enough, that unavailable time to drink can really add up.

Good for you!!!!

(btw, I have a BIL who runs those "ultra ironman" things (50 mile runs, etc . . .). Honestly he is one of the MOST emotionally unhealthy people I know. He's completely addicted, and using running to avoid his real responsibilities, and to feed his ego. He craves all those "you're so impressive", "wow, you're an inspiration!" stuff he gets from others. Blah, blah, blah. Yea, running CAN be an addiction. The truth is he's a complete narcissistic @ss who thinks his children were born to stand at the finish line with signs saying "GO DADDY". He would never, ever, ever go to one of THEIR athletic events, 'cause . . . ya know . . . what's that got to do with or for HIM!)