Notices

New here and just starting out with recovery

Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and just starting out with recovery

Good Morning,

I'm here looking for a way to stop drinking. I've tried and tried but haven't been very successful in the past. One major obstacle is I've noticed that I have surrounded myself with friends who drink. Or I've driven away all my old normal drinking friends. Letting these people know that I've changed my evil ways is a major obstacle for me.

Thanks for being here,
Whitsail
Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What I found from when my wife was pregnant and not drinking, is that over that period she learned who her friends really were. A couple wouldn't come over, or they'd say things like "I can't wait till you're done being pregnant so we can hang out again." And we just removed those friends, the ones who came over and were supportive, or asked if it was OK if they drank while she stayed sober, or planned sober activities, those are the friends we still have.

Fortunately for me, I'm married and not allowed to have friends (bad joke sorry). LOL, but the friends I have are respectful of my decision. They will however offer me a beer, because "its rude not to" but they don't push it on me. And honestly there are times I take that beer and relapse, but at least they don't judge me for if I am drinking or not.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you tried AA?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whitsail.....I am new to the site today as well. Today is my first day of sobriety after years of telling myself that I "just need to cut back a bit". The people I usually hang with are also drinkers and that's what we do when we are together......DRINK. I am not sure what the future will hold for me, but I do know that being sober has GOT to be better than drinking all of the time, feeling like crap, and always being disappointed with myself.

Thanks for being here as well. We all need each other.
Peace and Blessings !!!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I had lots of friends in the industry I use to work in. Since I quit drinking nada. I have absolutely nothing in common with them anymore.

I have 2 goods friends and you know, they are truly real friends. They support my sobriety.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

If you want to quit drinking, and have failed, it is time to try something different because your way isn't doing it.

If you are trying this on your own, get support in the form of face-to-face support.
If you don't have a plan to get and stay sober, find a recovery program that appeals to you and work it.
If your friends drink, get new friends.