SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Week Six! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/289249-week-six.html)

Ptcapote 03-28-2013 08:03 PM

Week Six!

Well, I have made it six weeks now, thanks in no small part to all of you. It was six weeks ago tonight I reached out to you all from a hotel room in Africa where I had managed to destroy my first six weeks with a binge. Thank heavens SR and this whole family was there that night or I don't have a lot of faith I would be writing these words now. Thank you.

Mostly doing well. AA is helping a lot although these days I am doing a split between AA and CDA (Chemically Dependent) meetings. I have only ever had problems with alcohol but the CDA meeting is large and cheerful and focuses mostly on stories of personal triumph over chemical dependence. So I get the small group focus and lots and lots of direct face time in my (smallish) AA meetings and then the ability to just sit back and listen in the CDA meetings. That combo seems to work for me. Plus I have an awesome sponsor.

Anyway, just wanted to check in and I will be around on the wonderful weekend sobriety thread over the next few days.

Also got my assignment last week for my next field trip and lo and behold I will be returning to the same locale and same space I was in when I screwed up last time so I will definitely be asking for help/support in the coming weeks before departure (and hopefully while there if I have connectivity).

Big hugs and many thanks to you all! Love being part of this awesome family...thank you for making me feel so welcome and giving me the support to make six weeks!

fantail 03-28-2013 11:05 PM

Congratulations! I just hit six weeks, too. High five. :)

The bright side of your field placement is that you have the chance to rewrite your memories of the place... So it can have a positive place in your life.

LadyinBC 03-28-2013 11:10 PM

Congrats on six weeks Ptcapote! :You_Rock_

Coldfusion 03-28-2013 11:18 PM

Good going, PT and Fantail!

:scoregood

ReadyAtLast 03-29-2013 01:03 AM

Congrats on 6 weeks ptcapote:You_Rock_

Seiceps 03-29-2013 02:05 AM

Super impressive dude.!!!! Sorry I've been AWOL too. Long letter coming. You know I've had those lines on my fridge for about ten years !! Big hugs xxxxx

least 03-29-2013 02:08 AM

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Congrats on six weeks sober! You are indeed the Master of your fate.:)

Icandothis2013 03-29-2013 02:26 AM

Hi, I can totally relate to where you are coming from as I too work a lot in Africa. There is nothing worse (aka more tempting) than being cooped up in a grotty hotel room with noone to be responsible to, together with the availability of lots of cheap booze and a terrible/non-existent internet connection so you are bored stiff. My solution now is to take a portable kettle and lots of tea bags, hot chocolate , powdered milk, soups etc so you can have something else to drink. I also make a point of downloading lots of films and TV programmes before I go (the internet there is likely to be so slow you can't do it ). I also take boxed sets of DVDs... so I am then quite happy spending an evening drinking tea and watching a boxed set of Homeland or similar. I tend to go to places that are a bit dodgy eg DRC so you can't really go out .. but if you can, then hang out with your colleagues, go to the craft market or beach or watch some live music... all that can be great fun ! In addition I also tend to work in Muslim countries which is a great bonus as folks then don't drink anyway ...:-)
I TOTALLY know where you are coming from but pack your bag with tea and DVDs - get the Lonely Planet or similar and find interesting trips to do at weekends, the hottest places for music etc and time will fly !
Good luck !

Zebra1275 03-29-2013 07:05 AM

Congratulations. Just keep doing what you are doing and focus on one day at a time.

Ptcapote 03-29-2013 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 (Post 3887629)
Hi, I can totally relate to where you are coming from as I too work a lot in Africa. There is nothing worse (aka more tempting) than being cooped up in a grotty hotel room with noone to be responsible to, together with the availability of lots of cheap booze and a terrible/non-existent internet connection so you are bored stiff. My solution now is to take a portable kettle and lots of tea bags, hot chocolate , powdered milk, soups etc so you can have something else to drink. I also make a point of downloading lots of films and TV programmes before I go (the internet there is likely to be so slow you can't do it ). I also take boxed sets of DVDs... so I am then quite happy spending an evening drinking tea and watching a boxed set of Homeland or similar. I tend to go to places that are a bit dodgy eg DRC so you can't really go out .. but if you can, then hang out with your colleagues, go to the craft market or beach or watch some live music... all that can be great fun ! In addition I also tend to work in Muslim countries which is a great bonus as folks then don't drink anyway ...:-)
I TOTALLY know where you are coming from but pack your bag with tea and DVDs - get the Lonely Planet or similar and find interesting trips to do at weekends, the hottest places for music etc and time will fly !
Good luck !

Thanks so much for this post! Yes, I am starting to plan exactly what I am going to bring to keep myself occupied for three weeks. I am also going to be asking for AA speaker's series recommendations from the fine folks here.

Yep, I also go to the dodgy places (Liberia in this case) and get the $300 hotel room on the way in with all the expats hanging at the bar and the super-stocked minibar. Then I get the two weeks in the jungle with NO infrastructure and too dangerous to go out except with a military convoy and/or armed guards. And yes, THEN comes the boredom and the long nights. Luckily, unless the military guys have it---which they often do--- there is little availability of booze out there so I am more "safe" that way. I used to bring it but, obviously, this time I won't be.

Funny about traveling in Muslim countries because I just put in a request to be attached to the units and programs that are detailed to Sudan and other north African countries for the lack of availability of booze. One of my advisors said, "You know drinking or possessing alcohol is punishable by death in X country, right?"

I said, "Yes! Thank God!!" (Don't think he expected THAT reaction ;) )

Anyway, thank you so much for reaching out and for the suggestions. It's nice to know I am not the only one in this rather peculiar situation.

IWillWin 03-29-2013 07:44 AM

Yay Pt! I'm so proud of you...I just came off a trip and it was a rough one. Another on the horizon in a few weeks - I pray for both of us that we maintain our strength and never stop fighting for our sobriety! I'm coming up on 7 months and although it is easier in some respects it also seems to be getting more challenging.

Keep on keepin' on and I will be doing the same...we can do it!

Take care...

Icandothis2013 03-29-2013 08:11 AM

Ask them to empty the minibar (you can- I did on a recent trip). Then you go to local supermarket (much cheaper than hotel) and fill it with nice juices etc. On my last trip i just ordered food via room service and stuck to my tea, juices etc precisely not to venture down to expat bar and a tempting G&T !! The problem with military convoys and armed guards in our line of work in Africa (sounds like we maybe do similar things) in my experience is that they are generally out of their heads too... :-( Just plan not to be bored as then the rot sets in .... !! Keep us posted !

Mizzuno 03-29-2013 09:21 AM

6 weeks? That is awesome work. Very very good!

Seiceps 03-31-2013 10:57 PM

It puts a different slant on it when the punishment for not drinking is death, rather than the self lash in the morning !!!!!
Xxx

Seiceps 03-31-2013 11:01 PM

I meant drinking. Bah !

neferkamichael 03-31-2013 11:29 PM

Ptcapote, Week Six! You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. :egypt: