Notices

Help!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~ Gypsy Wa**ior~

Help!

Hello! I'm hoping to get some wisdom through this site. I am 19 years old, live with my boyfriend in a nice 1 bedroom apartment. Recently my sister (22) has been in contact with me. This usually happens with she is in trouble. Long story short she went back to heroine for the 5th or 6th time (been in rehab many many times) but now wants to get off again. I told her she could detox at my place... I just wanted her safe again.

Now she is through the detox and today is her birthday. Now I am realizing what I may have gotten myself into. She is a total slob, has no motivation, no resources she is like a child. I really want her to get a job and be motivated but she has no interest.. all she does is talk about drugs watch Breaking Bad (about meth dealers) and eats junk.

I am going to lay the rules down for her (get a job, clean up) but I dont want her to run again. She has no friends other than the druggies and her boyfriend is in rehab. What am I to do??!!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. That's a lot on the plate for anyone. I think it's probably best that you set limits - it's your place. You can't let her addiction make you crazy.

You might get more responses in the family and friends section. Lots of good advice there.

I wish you well.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that it works out for you and that your sister is ready to get well.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You have to realize you're powerless over her choices. Your home, your rules, and if you need her to move on, so be it. You can't force her to make good choices, just like you can't force her to get a job or not be such a slob. Maybe you could help her find a job and a place to live, otherwise she'll have to figure it out on her own. You can't live her life for her, no matter how much she worries you.

Your house, your rules, and with only one bedroom it must be crowded in there. I'd set boundaries, give her a time limit to find her own place. You don't want to wreck your own peace of mind and your relationship with your bf.

to the family! Ask your questions in this forum for more insight.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information