Notices

Feeling miserable on the 4th day.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling miserable on the 4th day.

So I have not been drinking as often or as much as some people here. I've been about 2 years, getting myself pretty drunk 3-4 times a week, a few benders lasting 7 or 10 days straight though.

My most recent outing was about 7 days straight, each night about 8-10 beers. I decided I wanted to make a change... AGAIN. You know this story.

Well that was Sunday and here I am day 4 and I just feel awful. I want to skip class, I feel lazy, I'm not focused, and while I'm not craving drinking TOO bad. I just want to do almost nothing. Though I already can feel myself saying "Why not just skip class and have a few drinks, you deserve it, you got soooo much done the last 3 days" And I did get so much done, so in a way I'm thinking... no harm right? I know there is... that's why I'm here!

I know this happens to 'normal people' (I also have some depression issues), but the thing is the last 3 days I felt AMAZING! I got so much done, exercised, felt great about not drinking. I hadn't felt that good in months.

This has happened everytime in the last year I try to stop drinking, I don't know if it is the weekend coming up (I always force myself to stop on a Sunday or Monday), or if I just hit some 4th or 5th day lull.

Anyone been there? Can anyone explain it? I'm assuming there might be biological factors to play as well.

Thanks for the support, I'm new!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't know if anyone can explain it, but it happens to everyone from time to time. I'm about 3 months in and I still have bad days. But overall, even the bad days are better than the alternative. Just know it will get better. Make sure you are doing all the normal things to help ( plenty of rest, eating well, excersise if you can ). Seeing a doctor doesn't hurt either if you haven't yet. At worst you get the peace of mind knowing that you have been checked over for any physical problems.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
newcomer

Yes I have. Ive tried to quit before and at first I felt great..I never drank too much..maybe 3 times a week. But after the first few days I would get the craving and not feel as good...but that goes away soon just gotta push trough it!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i'm on day 7 today and feeling the same way...got so much done this week, each & every day it's not even funny but today i'm feeling it...just a few, it'll be fine, is popping into my head...not good! back to square one has never been a good feeling emotionally for me. stay focused, get busy & find something, anything to do but drink. i am trying to boil it down for myself & i guess i am feeling lonely today. my partner flew to NY last night and i am alone for the week while she is amongst a boatload of family (celebrating easter & her birthday) while i have a daughter & a dog (and yes i am grateful for that). for today, i need to "change my thinking so that i won't be drinking" and stay strong...what comes to mind when you "boil it all down"...start there
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome!

The two theories I have come across so far to explain this phenomenon can be found if you Google "hedonic set point" and "incentive sensitization". Have fun with that reading.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Four days is early. Just roll with it, as it will likely pass. Treat yourself with something. See a movie. Don't pressure yourself to "feel" great. You've quit drinking. That's wonderful. But it's a journey. And you are just on a detour.

No reason to resume drinking. It only starts the cycle all over again.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 4 for me was yesterday. I had a full blown meltdown at my SO at 5 o'clock, the usual time I would be sitting down to start on a 12 pack and a pack of smokes. I begged him to go get me beer, when he said no I said I'd do it myself. I went to the bedroom to get shoes and sat down on the bed and cried. I cried because I wanted my evening drunk back, I cried because I was crying over stupid beer, I cried for the years I've lost being smashed every other night...I cried because I was angry. I sat there and just cried, then breathed until I couldn't anymore. For a while I felt spacey and tired, so I grabbed a big glass of water and some fruit. Once it passed I felt better again, the way I'd felt all day (and the way I feel today, which is good). This is the longest I've gone (without being forced to by an illness or a broken bone!) and today I took a walk, took pictures of stuff I saw....listened to British 80s music on my phone...picked up trash, then worked in my yard. Now I'm making a cake (I'm not usually a perky cake maker, but had a craving....and as someone once told me, while you're going through withdrawal, indulging a food craving to pamper yourself can help). So I hope somehow this helps....walk, drink water, get out of your routine and the space you're normally in every day. It helps. I made it to day 5. You can too!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it was easy...everyone would be sober...or something like that.

There is a saying in AA...keep coming back until the MIRACLE happens.
There is a passage in the AA Big Book where Bill W describes his newfound experience to be like 'standing on a mountaintop, with a cool breeze blowing through'.

These were elusive experiences to identify with, while I was black & blue & bloody (in spirit), and struggling to walk upright in the face of enormous condemnation, guilt, shame, and the constant clamoring of my addiction 'Screaming Bloody Murder' for a drink.

I kept working my program, going to meetings, reading my recovery literature, desperately hanging on to this website, and praying. I stumbled, slipped, and fell on my face. I stood back up, and walked upright with people spitting at me and railing accusations at me...and justifiably so... It was a VERY DARK time.....times...and half a time again.... It was excruciatingly difficult to endure.

Then, through SURRENDER, prayer, honestly working a program, admitting my faults to myself and my creator, an absolute miracle did happen. It did not come from me, but it DID come TO me...and it WILL for you too.

It may not sound easy, and it has certainly not been for me, but my advice is to SURRENDER and ENDURE. The change in MY life has proven worth it.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome! You're doing great, just stick with it--things will get easier.

I am weak. I couldn't handle it. I went to detox. And I suggest all the time here that people do that, but apparently I was lucky to get in right away. If you think what you are trying right now is not going to work, maybe this is a good time to start seeking detox or rehab and get on the waiting list.

Most of what I learned at detox was from the other patients--living with others who were in total despair. Mostly kids on heroin and alkies like us, but also one very respectful looking older woman who just couldn't get off pain pills. You can also learn a lot here at SoberRecovery, by going to meetings, or if you really want to immerse yourself volunteer at a help center. Also, at detox I was introduced to AA and NA meetings. This has been an essential part of our recovery.

My wife quit at the same time I did--do you have a supportive partner?

I went to some of the best schools in the country, and thanks to alcohol didn't accomplish anything great in life. I knew there was a solution to my problems--my step daughter and her husband are alcoholics, although they have done better at life than I because they jopined AA at an early age. So here I am 50 years old, broke, out of work, and happy to be sober 148 days with a happy sober wife who just got a job at the convenience store (YAY!!). If you are at a large college, there is probably an AA group on campus.

SoberRecovery is awesome! Here is another story about someone who is struggling. Read the long post on this page, and be sure to read my post (near the bottom). http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-i-cut-23.html

Aloha!

∞CF
Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Four days is early. Just roll with it, as it will likely pass. Treat yourself with something. See a movie. Don't pressure yourself to "feel" great. You've quit drinking. That's wonderful. But it's a journey. And you are just on a detour.

No reason to resume drinking. It only starts the cycle all over again.
What Carl said, just roll with it. Think back to when you never drank. You had bad days then too. People who have never had a drink in their life have bad days. It's just a part of life. Granted, when quitting, the biological effects are probably more pronounced than a typical "bad-day" for a non-drinker/user, but the solution is the same--you just have to try and suck it up, get your mind on something else, etc.

Can you find time to get some exercise today? That would probably help.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome EngineeringGirl

It would be great if recovery was a stright lijne and the further we got away from our last drink the better we felt - sadly, it doesn't work like that, and I think maybe the reason why a lot of people drink again is they're unprepared for just how hard early recovery can be.

the good news is tho - you're not alone...and it will definitely, absolutely and for sure get better

glad to have you here

D
Old 03-28-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have depression issues too, I take it thats the reason you drink?

I'm quite impressed you can stop drinking for days and get stuff done. I'm the same if I don't drink I get stuff done and it feels great, we need to remember the feeling of achievement!!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Four days is very early. Give yourself time to heal. Treat yourself well: good food, plenty of rest, and moderate exercise if you can. It will get better.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My daughter only 22 years old is an alcoholic. She quit drinking cold turkey the night she got her first and only DUI..at least so far. I know there can be stumbles, and I pray she don't have one. I went with her to her first AA meeting, and it was a tremendous help. All the ppl there were supportive, and her story wasn't new. She had a rough 5 days, but then started feeling better..alot better. she was so drunk when they pulled her over she blew a .45 over 5 hours after getting arrested. They didn't give her the number she blew at the scene. she had been drinking 2 weeks non-stop. I didn't know how bad it was bc she didn't live with us. However, I knew she was an alcoholic. She was on her way to being sober for over 3 months when she decided she could have a drink a couple of weeks ago. I'm scared for her. I know where this leads. I hope the best for you. Hope it helps to know she had 5-6 days of drinking tons of black coffee with alot of sugar, and brushing her teeth many times a day to get the alcohol taste out of her mouth. But, after about a week and half she was feeling very well. I just hate she thinks one drink won't lead to binge drinking with her..bc it will. Good luck. stick with it...u can do it.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stopaddiction View Post
My daughter only 22 years old is an alcoholic. She quit drinking cold turkey the night she got her first and only DUI..at least so far. I know there can be stumbles, and I pray she don't have one. I went with her to her first AA meeting, and it was a tremendous help. All the ppl there were supportive, and her story wasn't new. She had a rough 5 days, but then started feeling better..alot better. she was so drunk when they pulled her over she blew a .45 over 5 hours after getting arrested. They didn't give her the number she blew at the scene. she had been drinking 2 weeks non-stop. I didn't know how bad it was bc she didn't live with us. However, I knew she was an alcoholic. She was on her way to being sober for over 3 months when she decided she could have a drink a couple of weeks ago. I'm scared for her. I know where this leads. I hope the best for you. Hope it helps to know she had 5-6 days of drinking tons of black coffee with alot of sugar, and brushing her teeth many times a day to get the alcohol taste out of her mouth. But, after about a week and half she was feeling very well. I just hate she thinks one drink won't lead to binge drinking with her..bc it will. Good luck. stick with it...u can do it.
Look after her as much as you can, because she's young and won't always take the best advice, I'm 25 and gave my gran keys to my flat to check up on me.