Notices

Day number two

Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I'm 19 months sober .
Being thankful for today and waking up sober are always the blessings i count before i get out of bed . Remembering that yuckky, dehydrated , cranky shakeyness makes me appreciate today .
For me staying sober was one thing , learning how to deal with life and it's up's and down's without turning to drink for comfort was another set of skills i'm learning .

You new people rock, sticking with it, as it is worse at the beggining and it gets easier with time in my experience ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I really hope and pray that one day I'll be the one posting my experience as an exdrinker. If I stay here at SR, I feel I can get the support I need.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

@RaggedyMan- I told my husband this morning and he wants to be supportive about being on SR and not drinking anymore. Sorry to hear about your wife's father dying from smoking and drinking. I want to be angry at my dad for wasting his life (he's only 59), but everytime I see his bony, sick body, all I can do is feel sorry for him.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopefulme View Post
I want to be angry at my dad for wasting his life (he's only 59), but everytime I see his bony, sick body, all I can do is feel sorry for him.
Almost to the word these were my wife's feelings. Her father was 59 when he died. You are making a different and positive choice right now so hang on to it.

Glad your other half is going to try to be supportive, I relying on that if/when the time comes.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome hopefulme

I found support really helped - why not join our Class of March support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-7-a-13.html

D
Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

@Nicholi-That was one way I would try to distract myself from drinking before bed. I watched TV series on my ipod in bed instead of on the couch. It kept me from getting the midnight munchies too :-) On most days, I would drink during the day by myself. I'm afraid I'm not gona be as productive with housework without drinking, because you gota admit, vacuuming, laundry and cooking can be so boring. A glass or two would take away the humdrum away. Still, that is no excuse to drink. I would feel guilty and physically worn out by the time my older kids came home from school. I'm sure they could smell it on my breath too. I cringe everytime I think about drinking infront of my kids, sometimes getting emotional or mad for silly stuff. I would forget things they told me and they would say, "Mom i just told you that lastnight!" Ugh...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I'm 19 months sober .
Being thankful for today and waking up sober are always the blessings i count before i get out of bed . Remembering that yuckky, dehydrated , cranky shakeyness makes me appreciate today .
For me staying sober was one thing , learning how to deal with life and it's up's and down's without turning to drink for comfort was another set of skills i'm learning .

You new people rock, sticking with it, as it is worse at the beggining and it gets easier with time in my experience ,

Bestwishes, M
Yes, that's going to be a huge challenge for me too...dealing with life's ups and downs. Congrats on 19 months of sobriety!:-)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3girls1husband View Post
Hopeful, I can relate pretty closely (our girls are 3,4,16) my husband however works from home but is busy much of the week (closes his den door). I work but I do 12 shifts 3 nights a week, that leaves me with 4 days off a week....therein is my opportunity to drink.
I am on day 4 and feeling great waking up sober and clear headed (for the exception of some allergies right now).
You can do it, I stayed close to the SR site when I felt I needed to or just for comfort this week and it has completely made all the difference for me.

Keep coming back!!! You can do it!
Thanks for posting! It's funny cuz I'm suffering from allergies too. Tis the season, but am so glad to see the sun. The weather affects my mood, and where I live, the summers are short, and winter never ends.
One day at a time right? I know soon we will be counting our sobriety by weeks, then months, and years :-)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Here comes a test...hubby is going out tomorrow night to a Scotch tasting sleepover. I know he has been looking forward to this for a couple of weeks, but why now? He just told me this morning that he will no longer drink at home, but now he's already had 2 beers. Is it wrong of me to be upset? Afterall, he's not the one with a drinking problem. I'm just hurt because he said he would not drink infront of me...
Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So hubby's at the Scotch tasting and I managed to not drink! I'm downstairs in my room, avoiding going upstairs because my hubby's beer is up there in the frige. Not gona go there! I wish the temptation would go away. I kept trying to think of excuses to go to the grocery store so I can walk by the wine aisle. Didn't do it but man, what is tough! Day number 3...
Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Stick at it - hope you got thru the evening okay and are starting another day with a clear head!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

So inspired to hear of you going through your first few days, but still motivated. Keep it up, you will be so glad you did.
I am nearly 12 months sober and I remember starting with lots of determination and hope. All best, don't give up!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I made it! This is day number 4 wih a clear head. Except my allergies are bugging me. I got a text from hubby at 5:30 am saying he's going to sleep. He may be nursing a pretty bad hangover :^< Sux to be him, lol! I don't miss those days...
Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon Hopefulme, and congratulations on your decision. Yes, hang in there... It is very worth it... As far as keeping the mind off... first thing that comes to mind is "exercising." the physical efforts release endorphins, the neurotransmitters that make you feel good!!! Anyway, Congrats again!!!!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanx, deadlydame. It's awesome to not be hungover. Even with all the issues in my life right now, I feel positive. I have hope that everything will work out. I workout regularly, so that is another positive thing about not drinking. I get a much more productive exercise session without a hangover. Can you believe I used to put vodka in my waterbottle? I would do drunk Turbofire, lol! That way when my kids would ask me why my cheeks are red, i can tell them it was from my workout. Makes me cringe.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

One more thing...no matter how much I worked out, I couldn't get rid of he cellulite on my upper abdomen. All that visceral fat-yuck!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

What do you guys do to keep your minds off the stuff?!
There are some great motivational AA speakers on you tube. You can kill a few hours right there. There is a AA Big Book online just google. There are other recovery routes you could look into. SMART. AVRT etc. I don't know if it will keep your mind off the stuff but it may make you think twice about picking up just for today. All we have is today right? It's always today cuz when tomorrow comes it will be today.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Help! Going to stay at a hotel with hubby and baby tonight and saw him put two beers in our suitcase. I want some wine to join him~. We would always drink together whenever we would go out as a celebration to be away from home.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Help! Going to stay at a hotel with hubby and baby tonight and saw him put two beers in our suitcase. I want some wine to join him~. We would always drink together whenever we would go out as a celebration to be away from home.
Do whatever it takes not to join him, Hopeful. Here are some ideas:
- Grab a large softdrink early as soon as you arrive and drink that with him
- Ask him not to drink the beer
- Go for a walk with the baby while he's having his drink

Remember it's only force of habit. Don't let it affect you; make your plans to take control of the situation early and firmly.

Let us know how you go.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks, FeelingGreat. Everything went well. It was tempting when he asked me if i wanted wine, but when I reluctantly said no, he decided not to have his beer :-) I was on this site every chance I got and that helped. Reading about how people felt he next morning after saying "no". Because I was able to resist, I had a great run on the treadmill the next morning while hubby watched the baby. I just have to hold onto that. The morning after. No. Hang. Over!!