Notices

Long sober weekend thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
People must really love bacon.
It's because they served bacon at the Last Supper. Pretty sure that's in the Bible.

You know you hate studying when you're willing to mow the lawn as a study avoidance tool. (Which I did yesterday late afternoon.) I did manage to get a little study in, though. Hopefully it will be enough to pass the test this morning.

Since I only mowed the front I get to do the back this afternoon! Then, back to work on my deck. But first, I must break my fast on some applewood-smoked-rashers-of-Holy-delight.

Let's keep it going, Sobrietists!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Woke up fresh this morning! Feeling positive and a new bloody-minded determination to sobbornly stay sober for good :-). Hitting the beach for a walk in a bit. Hope everyone has a great day :-)
Old 03-30-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

...That should be stubbornly stay sober lol-I need to put my glasses on! :-D
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I am finding that once I achieved separation between my addiction and me, being stubborn was a good quality to have in the fight to stay sober.

Enjoy the beach!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Be proud nonsensical, i've got a sausage and bacon sandwich on the go, and none of that streaky American bacon either! The proper british stuff
Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
The proper british stuff
It pains me to admit that our independence from the crown resulted in inferior bacon - but alas, it is true. American bacon is delicious, but I've had enough breakfasts at Heathrow to know the difference.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
It pains me to admit that our independence from the crown resulted in inferior bacon - but alas, it is true. American bacon is delicious, but I've had enough breakfasts at Heathrow to know the difference.
We should start an international petition. 'we the people, declare that all citizens should have the right to proper bacon' etc... I'd gladly open up trade negotiations to swap for some of your delicious root beer.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

We should start an international petition. 'we the people, declare that all citizens should have the right to proper bacon' etc... I'd gladly open up trade negotiations to swap for some of your delicious root beer.
Smoked or unsmoked?

UNSMOKED hands down man.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Smoked or unsmoked?

UNSMOKED hands down man.
I have to say I like both. If I had to choose, i'd go smoked, but this is all irrelevant if the colour of the sauce is not brown.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I have to say I like both. If I had to choose, i'd go smoked, but this is all irrelevant if the colour of the sauce is not brown.
If you put ketchup on a bacon butty, you need to have a word with yourself. HP sauce for the win!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ham with steak sauce and y'all call it "bacon".

Y'all need pork tutelage.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Morning Weekenders!

So much planned I will report on what actually gets done later! Enjoy this wonerful saturday!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Took my time reflecting in bed this morning before I got up how wonderful it is to wake up sober on Saturday. So too many hungover Saturday mornings let to nothing good or productive. While I am anoyed I have to deal with my ex-husband for a short bit this morning at some point, I am delighted that it will be 55 (!) degrees in Vermont and I can fritter my day away as I please. Off to enjoy another cup of coffee and some quiet reflective time after a very busy week behind me! Enjoy your Saturday sober weekenders!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
All is Change

Sorted part of my ridiculously huge collection of literature today. I tend to buy books in bulk. Maybe philately is a more sensible pursuit. Buying in bulk (I mean sometimes in the many hundreds) is a good way to get some really interesting stuff. I've started to collect together all the books on addiction and books on the mind. One interesting one (unfortunately, given the subject matter, not properly sourced) is on brain plasticity. Another one I'm glancing at with some trepidation is ''The Creative Brain'' by Ned Hermann. The blurb on the dust jacket seems to be supportive of it being a book well worth reading. It's thick though. At the moment I'm into light reading. I'm reading 'Rumpole of the Bailey- The Golden Thread' by Mortimer at the moment. It's funny.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Grymt
Maybe philately is a more sensible pursuit.
You can do that legally in Austailia?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
All is Change

S***, I hope so.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
All is Change

I mean, I spent all that money on boozing, so why not a soft investment, quite apart from a love of books in general through having grown up in a house full of books with parents who grew up with a love of books as well. My kids really appreciate books too. I bought a thousand or so recently and amongst them was one that paid for the lot and one that is ridiculously valuable. That's going to my kids.
Stamps is probably a better thing as I age though.
Still, my mum at 90 still reads voraciously.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, that was worth every minute it took.

Slow cooked grits with real bacon in them. Best cheese omelet I've made in a long time with a touch of jalapeno Tabasco. V-8, coffee. Aaaaaah.

Now, to clean! Charge!

What's that? Finish my coffee? Relax a few? Not a bad idea.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Good Morning Sober Weekend Riders!!! *Ring Ring*
Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Like2hike - I am also a kayak fisherman and love the sight fishing for reds in the Big Bend of Fl. Perfect weather for it this weekend but I don't think I will get out. Lots of chores around the house.

My plans today are to put on some good tunes and clean out and arrange the garage. Sunday I am looking forward to some more NCAA basketball tourney, especially since the Florida Gators have made it to the final 8 in the tournament.

There are still times I think of wanting a drink but with Gods help I have put those thoughts aside and followed through with my decision to be a non drinker. I have some struggles but no regrets.