Notices

I'm having a new problem

Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
We cannot buy Melatonin in the UK and Scotland.
Its a prescription only medicine over here and very rarely used.
Just to save you the bother of looking for it.
Really??? It's weird sometimes what you can get in one country but not in another! What is their reasoning?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm not sure to be honest Lady.

Its never prescribed either by GP's.It is marketed by a drug company over here but for something to do with Parkinson's in the elderly, not general sleep problems. So really narrow licence

The only way we can get hold of it is if someone brings it back from the States.
I don't even think you can get it in Europe either. This might make Bigsombero smile when he reads it!.

If we complain of sleeplessness we tend to get a prescription strength anti-histamine or zopiclone or the other one beginning with Z.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just looked on the internet.
Only available on prescription for over 55 years old.

The reason it is not used is there is not enough data to demonstrate its effectiveness and more long term safety studies are required.

I don't know then why they think its okay to give it to the over 55's then !!!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A bit off topic, but tart cherries are an excellent source of melatonin..
.i take 6mg. Of melatonin per night (i'm the poster child for insomnia). As you age your body manufactures less melatonin.
Its a common supplement here for sleep, along with valarian. I did realize it was regulated elsewhere.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

My mom use to take valarian. That stuff smelled nasty LOL.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Fantail brings up a great point. Ask yourself the question. "What is the worst thing that could happen if you don't drink" ? Well, I can tell you a couple of things. You will be a better parent, friend, employee, citizen and may be able to help out another person who is struggling. It does not take long for other people to notice the positive changes that happens when we get sober. Keep it up it only gets better.

If you do drink. Your just keeping the cycle going. Remember alcoholism is a progressive disease. It only gets worse. You will lose your job, your relationships, and your health one drink at a time. Take the first option and don't drink. I promise you it's the only and best choice.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~sb

You could do a search on Foods That Help You Sleep.

Sleep will happen, but alcohol disrupts the normal sleep cycle and the slow wave sleep, so you aren't sleeping well when you use alcohol to sleep.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Chamomile tea helps me when I need to get a good nites sleep. If I really want to go to bed early, I'll change my eating schedule and eat a large baked potato or mashed potatoes for a late dinner. Always makes me drowsy.