Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The Jim Beam Borbon Burger

Do you miss alcohol flavored food?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I miss alcohol flavored alcohol. I don't miss what it did to my life though.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do not. Sure, it tastes good. But it seems to be a slippery slope. Like, boy this filet mignon would sure taste more refined if I added just one glass of red wine to the table...

I met a chef who was in treatment with me. He told me that as a chef, he had to drink wine with some of his meals. Because, you know, it's the law.

Right now the whole wine-pairing, beer-pairing, craft-beer, wine-flight-tasting stuff is at an all time high. But it's just a food trend, just like fad diets come and go.

I choose not to have alcohol in my life. That means no "bourbon sauce" too. If I go to a place that serves a burboun burger, I'm pretty sure they'll have plenty of other tasty items I can try instead.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I figure there is so much food I enjoy, so I don't focus on the few things I miss.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Foods cooked with alcohol have never been a problem for me. A little wine in the spaghetti sauce never made me want to go out and buy wine. Beer battered chicken never made me want to go out and buy a six pack. Do I recommend every alcoholic eat foods prepared with alcohol. Of course not, but it's never once bothered me or caused me to want to drink alcohol.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't really care if the food is made with alcohol. I don't pay attention to it. I just avoid drinking it. If I inadvertently eat a meal prepared with alcohol I don't fear it will cause a problem for me. I believe most of the alcohol burns away during cooking, anyway. That said, I'm not gonna actively seek out dishes prepared with it either. I was at a brewery pub a few weeks back with friends and everyone ordered their specialty 'beer soup'. I was intrigued but I wasn't exactly sure what it is so I passed on that particular dish with my meal.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Here is a chart on how much alcohol is left in cooked food.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

For me I just stay away from it. Safer for me!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The crazy thing, I don't like anything cooked in alcohol, especially if I can actually taste the alcohol in the food-yuck. I also do not not like to drink and eat meals together (never understood the whole beer and pizza gig). For me, it is/was always one or the other...and I usually chose liquer. Or I would eat dinner with water then let my food settle before I dove into my cocktails full swing....
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmmm I hadn't even thought about food cooked with alcohol. I would probably avoid it at this point in my sobriety. Besides whenever I bought wine to cook with it was an excuse to guzzle the bottle down, I didn't care about the food lol
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm with you Kiki. It wasn't ever about the cooking for me either. It doesn't bother me. I've eaten a pint of Haagen Das rum raisin and was more concerned that I ate a pint of Haagen Das. Everyone is different.