Notices

Changed my goal to total sobriety

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changed my goal to total sobriety

Hi all,

At first when I started this journey, my goal was moderation. But now that I'm through the worst of the physical withdrawal, something interesting has happened.

I would be totally fine with moderation, but something changed.

Now that the physical withdrawal is almost over, alcohol has become disgusting to me. The thought of ingesting anything that has alcohol in it is like the thought of eating a piece of heavily molded bread which has been dipped in feces. Even the thought of alcohol makes me feel a sense of disgust.

Good thing, if you ask me.

So I figured that I might as well put it out of my mind and move on with my life. No more alcohol. Ever.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good for you Total. Just remember that the drinking mind plays trick on you and that someday it might tell you that alcohol sounds good again. So while currently your disgust may keep you from drinking, don't rely on it as your sole mechanism of staying sober. Rely on us here, and try to find local resources that work for you too. Great decision you've made, congrats!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How do you plan on fulfilling that goal ? ....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you!

I have always had worries about being a teetotaler. I used to think of people who didn't drink as goody-two-shoes sticks in the mud, and I never wanted to be one. I wanted to be "normal".

Now I realize that not drinking is totally normal. You order an iced tea and life goes on...
Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
How do you plan on fulfilling that goal ? ....

All the best.

Bob R
Good question. I plan to do positive, meaningful things instead. I plan to have alcohol fade away and enjoy life sober. I have noticed how much more beautiful the world is sober today.

I plan, in general, to move towards positive goals and move away from negative stuff. It's not just about alcohol, it's a whole attitude towards life that is beginning to develop.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Originally Posted by TotalFreedom View Post
I plan, in general, to move towards positive goals and move away from negative stuff. It's not just about alcohol, it's a whole attitude towards life that is beginning to develop.
Perfect, love this, it's exactly how I'm feeling too!!

Thanks for sharing
Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberKnitter View Post
Good for you!

I have always had worries about being a teetotaler. I used to think of people who didn't drink as goody-two-shoes sticks in the mud, and I never wanted to be one. I wanted to be "normal".

Now I realize that not drinking is totally normal. You order an iced tea and life goes on...
It was a bit of a shock to me when I realized clerks are uncomfortable when you go shopping completely wasted.

It still is a bit odd to me how many people who aren't recovering alcoholics that also choose not to drink.

I'm learning though...
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TotalFreedom View Post
Love this
Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you!