Notices

This forum's policy on the dangers of withdrawal

Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This forum's policy on the dangers of withdrawal

Hi,

I was wondering about something. Most of the time withdrawal is uncomfortable though harmless. In some cases it does happen that it gets dangerous and even deadly. I know that a person is perfectly capable of noticing that it's getting out of hand and can dial 911, but I'm a little concerned still.

What is the policy on this forum regarding to this? Most people will quit and be fine. But how do we make sure everyone's safety is guaranteed?

I know that in the end, it's the person's own responsibility, but this group does have an influence on people and I feel that that needs to be taken into account.

How does this generally get dealt with on here? I'm pretty new here, so I haven't been able to observe that yet.

TF
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The advice to newcomers is always to get medical advice from a doc before quitting. You just don't know if you will have a seizure or anything. Many people are not aware things are getting out of hand and call the emergency services. You just don't know. People often ask for medical advice on here but for safety reasons it can't be given. We aren't docs andyour doc is the best person to speak with
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Withdrawl from what? Withdrawl from alcohol is not harmless in fact it's more dangerous than any other substance.

Heroin, Crack pills (except Benzos) harmless. Withdrawl from alcohol is very serious and I'd hope would be treated as such on these forums.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
Withdrawl from what? Withdrawl from alcohol is not harmless in fact it's more dangerous than any other substance.

Heroin, Crack pills (except Benzos) harmless. Withdrawl from alcohol is very serious and I'd hope would be treated as such on these forums.
I agree. And yes, I was referring to alcohol but it applies to all substances that can be dangerous to go through withdrawal from.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

According to what I've read, seizure activity in withdrawal can occur up to 20 days in.....

We can't always know when to call 911.....

Seeing a doctor FIRST is the best thing one can do.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To be fair, I have never yet read a thread by anyone here talking about quitting who hasn't been pointed towards seeing a doctor first. Whether individuals chose to do so is entirely up to them but it is always recommended to them that they do so.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Total Freedom, it's against the rules to offer any kind of medical advice. I hope this answers your question.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times.
Please consult with your physician.

Here is the link to our Posting and Policy Rules.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html