Notices

Two thoughts

Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two thoughts

Hi all,

Two things I just remembered that I wanted to share. I'll keep it quick:

1. Health. If you drink, you tend to lead an unhealthy lifestyle. Poor diet is a real problem for some people. What I did when I drank, was to take a standard multi-vitamin with 100% of the recommended daily amounts of vitamins and minerals a day.

It is in no way a substitute for a healthy diet, but you're better off with than without them if you're not eating well. A good multi-vitamin pill will do. They're safe and are cheap.

I say this because there are also expensive products with tons of ingredients, often in high doses, claiming to be much better. Though recently scientific evidence has shown that those can actually be harmful.

Preferably you eat well off-course. If you can't, at least take a regular multi a day.

2. Relapsing. Sometimes people relapse, even after having been sober for a long time. What I've heard often is that they see their whole previous period of sobriety as a failure and beat themselves up over it. They also think that this one time of drinking destroyed everything they'd been working on and they're back to square one.

In reality this isn't even factually true. The drinking was a bump in the road. The whole period of sobriety is something did achieve and you can get back to it. You're not back on square one, you just continue after an unfortunate incident.

Also, it's just a slip up. See it as such. You were doing great, made a mistake, go back to doing great. It's a much smaller incident than what people often make of it.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

And, after having on here for a short while now I can say:

Guys and Gals...

Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Milk Thistle saved years of damage to my liver. I actually came out healthy for all the drinking I did. Vitamins and Milk Thistle helped.

I agree relapsing is just part of the journey even if it doesn't have to be. Some people give up after relapsing because so much is put into sobriety time. It's important to cherish and hold sobriety times in value but it's not worth it to just give up after a stretch.

As long as we have today then that's all that counts right?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Relapsing is not a good thing. Should be avoided at all cost.

In my last while before AA each relapse was just another pull of the Russian Roulette trigger. Luckily they were "clicks" and not "BANG"s.

All the best.

bob R