Notices

Today is really hard.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is really hard.

Had a bad day yesterday. Nothing too terrible, but enough that I started convincing myself that now might not be the time to give up drinking. I'm sure you can relate, as this isn't that uncommon.

It's 8am, and I'm already thinking about getting a bottle of something for this evening. (I don't want to.... but I want to... ya'know)

... Usually these early morning hours are the easy ones... not today
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DON"T DO IT!! NOOOOOOOO! But seriously, you will have bad days and this is the time you call your inner strength and logic to shut that AV monster up!

I also had a horrid day last Friday and came VERY close to caving, but I didn't, well when I got up the next day, the pain had subsided and I was clear headed to be able to look at the situation from a non-personal stand point.

Give yourself time to learn coping techniques and always know that you will have some bad days. Most importantly DO NOT let that pesky AV try to sway you - it only wants to bring harm to you.

Take care and be well!!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Don't throw your sobertime away.

You said in another post that you see a lot of patterns that you relate to? Well you don't want to find out you relate to all the guilt and despair that follows a relapse.

We all had to push through those feelings of giving in. You can too.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Dib!!! Don't do it. There is a reason you want to stop. It's hard, but giving in and drinking will be harder. Here's a big ol' hug. (((((HUG))))))
Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words and support, everyone. I'm going to do my best to stay strong and not cave. Today is just particularly hard.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Check in here often, especially on difficult days...don't drink today
Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today is a very short period of time where it is hard. Very soon the hard part will be over and you'll be fine again. Just go through it without booze and you'll be happy you did.

Again, stay sober. The hard part will be over before you know it. You can do it.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bloss View Post
Check in here often, especially on difficult days...don't drink today
That's my plan...
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dib42 I'm with you 100% today; work's busting my balls, family's burning my cap and I know it's easier to pick up a drink, but when I'm in this frame of mind I kind of just think I'm too tired/pissed off to fight it off.

Sh*t, sh*te and corruption.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Dib42 I'm with you 100% today; work's busting my balls, family's burning my cap and I know it's easier to pick up a drink, but when I'm in this frame of mind I kind of just think I'm too tired/pissed off to fight it off.

Sh*t, sh*te and corruption.
Yeah, that sums it up pretty well.

In my mind I can rationalize that days like this happen to everyone, and many people just push through it.

But also, there is that voice inside that is saying "So what if you make it through this? They'll just be more days like this."

Don't get me wrong, my goal is to not give in. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that the temptation and justification are doing the best they can to make their case.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay strong. YOu can get thru this sober and come out feeling better on the other side.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Btw Dib, would you mind reporting back after the difficult phase and tell us how you look back on it once you're feeling better? It might be helpful for others in your situation.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Do it one hour at a time if you have to. Please don't drink. It is not going to change your crappy day.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally3127 View Post
It is not going to change your crappy day.
100% true every time.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
Yeah, that sums it up pretty well.

In my mind I can rationalize that days like this happen to everyone, and many people just push through it.

But also, there is that voice inside that is saying "So what if you make it through this? They'll just be more days like this."

Don't get me wrong, my goal is to not give in. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that the temptation and justification are doing the best they can to make their case.
And still those days are better than being drunk.

Also, yeah, maybe there will be more days like this one. There will also be a lot where you feel great. Sometimes you might have a hard time, but it's not constant.

From a position of feeling miserable it is hard to judge and see the whole picture. Wait until you feel ok again and then look at it all.

And I would really love to hear how you look at things once this phase is over.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I had way too many days where there was always another reason, another excuse to continue to drink......

Life got horrible. I thought it was bad in the beginning, but it got so much more worse!

Stay stopped again today, you'll feel better about it in the long run!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TotalFreedom View Post
Btw Dib, would you mind reporting back after the difficult phase and tell us how you look back on it once you're feeling better? It might be helpful for others in your situation.
I planned on reporting back, mostly to see if that'll assist in the not drinking process.

I think its 3-4hours since i posted that today is really hard... and right now I am doing better. Thanks everyone...

I've decided to ride this out... I'll report back periodically as things get better or worse..
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You can keep riding it out... I had a bad morning and want so bad to buy a bottle of wine when I get home. But I will not be doing it. I had a really important meeting today at work, and my partner spent the early morning yelling at me and I got to work shaking and in tears. If I can get through today I know there is hope for me to stay sober permanently.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dib... Dryroast said it ..Coping Skills .. I really needed to work on that. My one and only coping skill was..drink!!! In looking back I see how we'll that worked out. NOT! Hello disaster..

Nothing got better.. Just foggy.. It was all still there plus the guilt, remorse , feeling sick etc. that list is a mile long.

Hang in
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Have you tried AA? for me me NA and AA are good source to remind me of the bad times of drinking and drugging.. it can be really easy to get caught up in cravings like that.