Notices

Nervous about calling sponsor

Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous about calling sponsor

So after my last relapse 4 days ago I decided to do 90 NA meetings in 90 days.

I do have a sponsor, I haven't called him in like 2 weeks and I seem to have a really hard time reaching out to him because it's like, I just feel so incredibly awkward on the phone, like I have no idea how to form a relationship with another human being.. I'm going to force myself to call him today, but does anyone have any advice on how to get more comfortable with this whole sponsor thing? Because where I'm at now I really should be calling everyday.

thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do it anyway. It will likely be much easier than you think. Your sponsor is there for you. They want to help you. You can tell him or her this issue you posted about if it turns out to be necessary.

Imagine 10 days from now where you've called him or her 10 times. At that point it will be so much easier.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As hard as it is, I think if you explain your struggles to him as you did here, you will find it gets much easier. Tell him it is hard and uncomfortable, but you know its necessary.
Its those things that we feel we need to keep to ourselves that bring us the most relief when we finally share them with someone. We usually find ourselves asking "Why didn't I ever talk about that before?"
Best wishes to you!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I felt the same way. I know of many others who also felt the same way. And you aren't the first person to relapse.

The process is so important to our recovery. We learn how to have a relationship with out sponsor and then with others. We learn to have a relationship with ourselves. We learn how to be honest, humble, forgiving, and so much more!

I have called people saying things like, "I have no idea how to talk with you, but I am reaching out" and over time, I have formed friendships that are deeper than any other relationships/friendships I've had in my past.

Trust the process. It's worked for many of us!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool Not re: Sponsors, but a phone tip

"...I seem to have a really hard time reaching out...I just feel so incredibly awkward on the phone..."

This is one of the reasons my sponsor made the suggestion for me, in early recovery, to get at least two new phone numbers at every meeting, and to call three 'recovery' folks every day (answering machines/voice mails/etc. didn't count). I didn't have to have a conversation; I could simply say, "Hi, this is Noelle, and this is one of my recovery calls for the day." The theory being that when I really needed help, I would automatically start dialing; thus perhaps avoiding a relapse.

Try it; who knows; it might help; whadya got to lose......?

(o:
NoelleR
Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Will the rehab take you back? Your best chances for recovery lies in a structured in-patient program.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still have this issue and I've had my sponsor for a month and we get along. I felt like drinking on Sunday in a desperate way but never called my sponsor. One problem is he's a texter and dislikes talking on the phone.

I really need to get over this and start calling him.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
I still have this issue and I've had my sponsor for a month and we get along. I felt like drinking on Sunday in a desperate way but never called my sponsor. One problem is he's a texter and dislikes talking on the phone.

I really need to get over this and start calling him.
Can't you discuss the texting thing with your sponsor? Otherwise I suppose you could ask for a different one who does want to talk on the phone. If that's important to you, it's your right to ask for it. You deserve the right sponsor.