Notices

The Beauty of A Shower

Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Beauty of A Shower

When I was actively drinking, personal hygiene meant very little to me.

I only showered during the week because of work. And I hated it. I was always dizzy and needed to have one hand on the shower wall for balance.

Never showered on the weekends. Or brushed my teeth. Why bother? I always made sure I had enough booze to last me all weekend so I had no need to go out into the real world again until Monday. If I did run out of booze, I thought nothing of running down to the liquor store in this state.

It was downright nasty.

I suppose I've been thinking about this very thing the past few weeks because now I actually look forward to a warm, soul cleansing shower.

Sober, I can feel the warm water. I can feel my muscles relax and appreciate the steam. I can stand on my own 2 feet without help from the wall. I smell the fragrance of shampoo and soap.

I don't ever want to forget how awful showering used to be. I want to remember. Always. If I forget, I fear I will lose the gratitude of how wonderful this daily task means to me.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am there right now. I haven't showered in about 4 days. ): I am going to take a nice shower, and then a bath. I'm gonna let it wash away the worries and fears.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

A nice hot cleansing shower feels so good! A soaking bath is good too...

Having a good shower got me through the first few days. I was in a psych ward a year ago, and for some reason there was no hot water in the shower. I went to a bar as soon as I was released. When I went to detox, it was pretty basic but at least I had a comfy bed and a hot shower. I went to 90 meetings in 90 days after release, and am still sober.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LDT

Wow....SoberFallon.....I've just flashed back to those shower days when I was drinking. I only took baths because I was too thin and weak from drinking to stand up in a shower..... So grateful those days are behind me.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh!! Soberfallon that was me too. Taking a shower was so hard. Same thing felt dizzy, had to hold on or sit down. And washing my hair..forget about it.

Still sometimes now in the shower I so much appreciate that I am standing calm, not shaking , feeling the warm water , soap, shampoo. Seems so simple to me now but that was rough.

So thankful that is behind me. Yet another reason to stay the course

Thanks for the post