Notices

I don't ever want to forget.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
If you can accomplish this it should be a big help. Our brains are wired to remember that we want alcohol and forget the pain. Reversing that process would be enormous. I wish you success!
Totally off topic but everytime I see your posts I want bacon really bad! There should be a law against bacon avatars!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by T4texas View Post
I have a scar on my neck that is from being shot while drunk.
Scary stuff. Glad the outcome wasn't worse. I've been in some bad situations with bad people while drinking (and many weren't just bad; many exhibited irrational behavior because of substance abuse), so there for the grace of God go I.

I don't care to play the odds in that regard any longer; staying sober will keep me out of those situations.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have a journal I've written in over the past few years and its full of entries about being drunk feeling like a slave to the bottle ect. Every now and then I'll flip to those entries me comparing them to the ones I've written the past 5months sober. What a huge difference
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JBird100 View Post
I am looking for ideas on how not to forget the misery of drinking. It seems like the farther away I get from my last relapse the more fearful I am that I could have a lapse in judgment. How do you always remember the train wreck? What are some things you do?
I've got it JBird, Cut and paste and print out and carry it around or put it on your bathroom mirror and look at it every time you go in there.

Why I am glad I don't drink anymore!

Not feeling ashamed and embarassed all the time .

Not worrying about who I fell down in front of .

Not sweating profusely all the time .

Eating and enjoying food again, (not going entire days without eating and dry heaving at the sight of food .

Being able to keep my word. (And even wanting to.)

Being able to remember where I was last night .

Seeing my personality come back to life, laughing again .Feeling like "me" again .

Having the freedom to think about things other than alcohol .

No more anxiety .

Not being obsessed about either 'I can't wait to drink. what will I drink. Do I have enough
in the house? etc.' or ,

Being able to see more than the back of my eye lids .

How can I get through this night without a drink?'

Waking up in the morning and looking forward to the day instead of trying to remember if I did anything stupid the night before .

No more waking up with that panicked feeling thinking "who did I talk to on the phone last night? .

Being able to brush my teeth in the morning without vomiting .

No hangovers .

No more calling in sick and making excuses .

No more throwing up on the side of the road .

No more pregnancy scares .

No more laziness and pure weakness .

No more "where did that bruise/injury come from?"

No more fear of getting pulled over for a DUI .

No more wondering why my wallet is empty .

No more spending money that I don't have .

No more broken promises .

My freedom today .

No More jails .(I had 7)No more psych wards(5).No more treatment centers (4) .No more detoxes (5)

Stiil forget why you don't drink anymore?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

JBird, let that fear of relasping help keep you from going back out and using. Play the tape all the way through on some of your worst morning afters. Rootin for ya.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I can relate to what you are saying. I have had many months of sobriety only to forget what is was, or rationalize my behaviors thinking that i now have it under control. 8 months into sobriety and i relapsed, 1 year into sobriety and i relapsed....3 months and a relapse. With each relapse the situations that i found myself in were getting worse and worse. This last episode caused so much damage that I can not and will not forget the situation. It proved to me, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I am an alcoholic and can not drink.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have been wearing my hospital bracelet from the ER when I went in for withdrawal symptoms for about a week. I want to wear it forever, to remind me that I never ever ever want to go back to that. I didn't think I could ever become that person.

I kind of know I will have to take it off at some point, but I'm definitely keeping it forever. Maybe find a normal bracelet similar to it to wear.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post
I have been wearing my hospital bracelet from the ER when I went in for withdrawal symptoms for about a week. I want to wear it forever, to remind me that I never ever ever want to go back to that. I didn't think I could ever become that person.

I kind of know I will have to take it off at some point, but I'm definitely keeping it forever. Maybe find a normal bracelet similar to it to wear.
Are you doing AA TS? Pick up a white chip, the sign of surrender and carry with it you everywhere.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Starting an intensive outpatient program, which includes AA and how to get started in AA/ find a sponsor.

I didn't know about the white chip, though. Thanks for the idea! I think carrying something around at all times would help.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

When I was in treatment, we were assigned a 4-digit code in order to open up our lockers so we could store personal valuables in there.

When I got out of treatment, I made that code my Debit Card ATM password. Every time I get money from an ATM machine or use my card at a grocery store, I have to enter that same code again.

I never plan on buying alcohol ever again, but if I ever did I'd probably have to face paying for it by using a code I was assigned in treatment...how'd that be for karma?