Notices

My First Post - One Month Free From Alcohol

Old 03-26-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Post - One Month Free From Alcohol

Hello all, I have been following these forums religiously for the last month helping myself to get sober. This is my first post as I have been somewhat scared to get involved thus far. I wrote something for myself earlier today, which I have decided to share. Thank you for reading.

Monday March 25, 2013

People in our society love to celebrate holidays and special events. It may be a birthday, an anniversary, a wedding, or a long weekend due to a statutory holiday. These events are relatively easy to celebrate as we already know what to expect and how to go about preparing for them. Today however I am faced with a celebration I don’t quite know how to handle, as I have never experienced it before. Today I am celebrating one month of sobriety.

This past month has been full of ups and downs, trials and tribulations, and a lot of self-discovery. I have been an alcoholic for the majority of my adult life, and at the age of 27 I feel that I am really starting to discover myself for the first time.

On average I was consuming a case of beer a day, and when I made the conscious decision to stop, I spent the first week of sobriety going through severe withdrawal both physically and mentally. Anyone who has legitimately gone through withdrawal from a substance knows that this is an anguish one cannot easily describe. I was committed to the process of change though, with a goal of one month in mind. Taking life day by day, I only asked for the support of my roommate and my sister.

I have been so focused on alcohol for so long, that it became all that mattered to me, and I lost sight of what it means to truly live a fulfilling life. I had given up on my hopes and dreams, my career aspirations, my hobbies, my friends, and essentially had given up on life entirely. It is now however, at one month, that I am beginning to see these long lost ideas re-enter my mind with intensity.

I am at a stage where I am ready to develop both short and long term plans for myself. I am ready to look at my past not with regret, but as something I had to go through to get me to where I am today. I am ready to look at today as an opportunity to create something of value and enjoyment. Lastly, I am ready to look at the future with optimism and anticipation.

The one thing that I know is that I want to create value for others. This may be through a business venture, through the sharing of knowledge and experiences, or through volunteering and service. I don’t know yet, but I am starting to realise it is just as important to go through the process of discovery, as it is to come up with an end result.

So to celebrate one month of sobriety I am not having a party, or even having a social gathering. This accomplishment is one that I will be celebrating silently, with a smile and the knowledge that I am now committed to a better lifestyle. I have done something that one month ago I did not think I could ever do.

-Sabin
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love this, thank you
Old 03-26-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wonderful post, thank you. Congratulations.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

congrats! What an awesome post and gives hope to those that are starting out!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well done sabin,,you are very very awesome,,keep on keeping on there xxx
congrats on yr sobriety xxx
x lv cleo xxx
Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one month sober! And here's to many more sober months.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sabin,

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Congrats on your 1 month, and congrats on regaining your hopes and dreams.
I wish you continued success and please keep us updated.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done Saben. Keep at it and thanks for sharing. It helps those of us who are starting out.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Thank you Sabin, that was a wonderfully inspiring post. I have tears of joy in my eyes...
Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the warm wishes and positive feedback everyone. I really appreciate all of you for the kind replies!