Notices

Day 8 feels great

Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 feels great

Hi everyone--Just want to update that I've passed the one-week mark and am now on my 8th consecutive day without alcohol! I feel so much better about what I'm doing than I ever have before.

My addiction is strong, though, and I had a rough time sharing a dinner table with my family while they all drank wine last night. I had to endure that voice in my head telling me "I was missing out" and "I would be having so much more fun if I had a drink in my hand." I've listened to that voice for years now and I feel like I'm finally starting to be able to detach myself from it. I got out of there and indulged in ice-cream instead.

This past week I spent a lot of time reading, exercising, and drinking a LOT of coffee (I've been slamming cups of decaf coffee at night. I don't quite understand it. I guess its a replacement for alcohol but it's decaf for christ sake!) I feel like I have a ton of free time, so it has been a battle with boredom some days.

Anyway, this forum has been tremendously helpful to me. I mostly just read but I felt like I should share today. I don't want to sound too confident about the streak I'm having. I've made it to the 8 day mark several times before. I'm good at quitting for a short time, but now I want to push myself to stay sober long term. I've heard about people who have had radical transformations in their life after quitting alcohol and I'm really curious to see what my life would look like 6 months sober, 2 years sober, etc.

I've rambled longer than I thought. I'll end this with one of those smiley things.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Well done! I have one of those pesky voices in my head too. He's a liar that one is. Bad joojoo.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Congratulations on 8 days sober.

You are doing great by recognizing that nasty addict voice. It's not you and you don't have to listen to it. And, you're right that you do need to make changes in your life as your recovery continues.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations!! It sounds like you're doing wonderfully and have your eyes on the prize.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to hear the good news, BeanSkillet! After awhile, my voice gave up on me.