Notices

Another Sponsor question

Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Sponsor question

Hi folks,
I posted recently about getting a sponsor and having a hard time scheduling time with him. He called me this past Friday to schedule some time tonight after our Monday night meeting and said he was committed for tonight because if he doesn't commit it won't happen. So I also committed to tonight and was looking forward to starting these steps (whatever process that entails). Anyway, he just called to remind me about the meeting tonight and I asked him if we were still on afterwards. He said, "No, I meant to tell you that too. I have to do my taxes but am hoping my brother can watch the kids soon so you can come to my house to meet some night."

I'm frustrated by this and am going to drop him as my sponsor. I'm going to talk to him tonight at the meeting and tell him that our schedules just aren't working and I'm going to find a sponsor that has more of compatible schedule. I don't want to hurt his feelings but really, this is getting a bit ridiculous. I have several different meetings that I go to and think I can find someone else quickly. Any thoughts? In all honesty, this experience is turning me off from AA but I don't want to let one person's scheduling conflicts keep me away from the program. Anyone think I'm missing something here?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its your program. Do what you need to do. As long as you don't drink you are well on your way.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

One way to do it...

Talk to your sponsor about this before the meeting. Then, if you need to get a new sponsor, wait until the secretary asks if there are any newcomers.

Say, "Hi, I'm RiverFriend, I'm an alcoholic. I am having trouble scheduling meetings with my sponsor, so I need someone else."