Notices

No recovery

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

211inProgress
I get the impression that, despite everything you say, you may be worried about drinking too much. So, instead of examining where you are you ask us to give you all sorts of reasons why you shouldn’t drink and, since you want to keep on drinking, this would give you an opportunity to prove us wrong or mistaken. We don’t even know if you’re an alcoholic. Only you can determine that, although a talk with a good doctor might help. If you are an alcoholic then all the arguments, tales of experiences, etc. would be useless unless you really want to stop. And, if it’s with you like it was with me for forty years, the only thing that will really convince you is time itself. This is because alcoholism is a progressive illness and, if an alcoholic doesn’t stop then things get worse and worse. The aging body cannot tolerate the drinking that went on earlier and starts to fall apart. Marriages, jobs, money, possessions, all tend to disappear with time. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a “nihilist” or a saint, a CEO or a gutter drunk. Alcoholism doesn’t care. The only thing out there is time, and reality. Samuel Johnson, who sometimes was worried about his earlier drinking, described reality and time very well, “Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”

W.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

One of the nice things about SR is that it's one huge round table discussion. No matter who starts a thread, the discussion includes all of us.

OP may have been sincere, or a troll, or never come back to read any of this, I have NO idea. But we are all here in on this discussion, including the many readers who aren't members or don't feel called to post.

Every reply on this thread is for ALL of us. This discussion will help all who take part and reply, it's not just for or about the initial OP. Usually any comment, thought, feeling or experience is shared by many and speaks to many. So whether or not the OP or the subject may seem worthy of time or effort on first glance, of COURSE it's worthy, because it's about all of us, and clearly this thread touched a nerve which means the subject is pertinent or it would not have drawn so many responses. Sometimes the act of responding and putting my own thoughts in order helps me...even if they don't do much for someone on the other end. No post is a waste. Ever.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Also, Id like to add into what Threshold shared.

I feel we all genuinely care for each other and don't want another human being to suffer the way we did or are. It strikes a cord or nerve because we want to help and it hurts to watch someone self-destruct the way we were/are.

There is always hope and a solution for any addicition no matter your age, creed, sexual orientation, gender, or skin color. You just have to want it.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Sounds like me and those home improvement channels.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 211inprogress View Post
I don't want to recover.. I like .. reading about how others have though.. thats dandy... as a nihilist and older then half the people here I cannot, and will not recover. But still.. Cheers.

I know the feeling....
If you're enjoying yourself... then by all means do what makes you happy (as a nihilist)

I'm just at a point in my life where its not making me happy anymore, and I'm not progressing in my life...

If you have a master slave relationship with a substance and you're the master, then I don't see the problem.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
This person comes in once, posts something negative and does not want to change, and gets 13 responses. Meanwhile there are other posts out there where people are trying to get help and cure themselves that have received far less attention. Just pointing that out (as I post response #14).
But there's a reason he came to this website in the first place... and he recognizes that he has an addiction. I say that we support him. He can do what he chooses, but I'm glad he's here. Something brought him to us.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dib42:
You wrote "If you have a master slave relationship with a substance and you're the master, then I don't see the problem."
Did you mean this ironically? Never in my experience have I ever encountered or even heard of a person who "had a master slave relationship with a substance" and was the "master", not the "slave." How could a substance be a "slave"? I must consult my numerous blood pressure pills tonight and see what they think.

W.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
This person comes in once, posts something negative and does not want to change, and gets 13 responses. Meanwhile there are other posts out there where people are trying to get help and cure themselves that have received far less attention. Just pointing that out (as I post response #14).
I see what you are saying, however, sometimes you have to reach out to people, even if they are being negative. It's no different than saying hi to the guy/girls begging for money on the street for their next drug or alcohol fix. I use to laugh and ignore these people on the way to the liquor store, thinking my **** didn't stink cause I had a job and a place to live.

Maybe just acknowlegding them might make them think that they are worth saving and that people do care about them.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

(211)Robbery in Progress,

Epistemological form? I hope you find meaning in our search for meaning! Glad you can join us all points of view help us solve the alcohol mystery.

Tonight will be a freeze warning so bring in the plants, they exist.

MyFitz
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Jeepers.. I didn't expect that many replies.. I just know that I don't really want to get better, I just want to see how long I can last, and see if thats even worth it.. I'm not big into the group hug thing, life or love.. Nihilism is nice way that I find things like genocide humorous.. But I do the standard life thing. Work Drink. Work. Cut. Drink. Stay on the left hand path etc. 211 in progress comes from my admiration for 2 men who stood against 200 in 1997. Lets just say my views are not popular. Which means to me, what matters the most is the fight. The fight to keep hurting the body as much as I can until it gives out. Yes, I know the easy solutions. Like every Texan I'm armed and know how to play with sharp things. Thats too easy though. I've been warned not to mention benzos. Thus I will not. If there are other things I'm not supposed to mention I suppose I will told about those as well. I appreciate any comments negative or positive, but in a jocular form if anybody remembers the end of the remake of the Dawn of the Dead at the very end where the security guard is overrun by zombies but uses his glock to blow things up, "Figures".. best to those who can overcome. Best to those who want to. Do know, there are some of us who just want to make the pain last.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well.....
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Have fun.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Nihilism is nice way that I find things like genocide humorous..
I find nihilists humorous.
I've been warned not to mention benzos. Thus I will not.
um, you just did.
Best to those who want to. Do know, there are some of us who just want to make the pain last.
oh, please...
I'm not big into the group hug thing, life or love..
I'm pretty sure you don't have to ward off many group hugs, do you?

Regardless of your thinly veiled attempt at complete disinterest, I do believe there is a reason you posted here. I hope you find some answers, but I will pretend like I don't think you are really looking for answers.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
I use to laugh and ignore these people on the way to the liquor store, thinking my **** didn't stink cause I had a job and a place to live.

Maybe just acknowlegding them might make them think that they are worth saving and that people do care about them.
You r my kind of people!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The problem with nihilism is that it's hard to feed the beast. The thrill wears off and you need to go bigger, harder and faster. Substitute "pain" with drama and I think we're getting warmer.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Dib22: Dib42:
P.S. to your earlier message, which I replied to on 3/25 in which you had written: "If you have a master slave relationship with a substance and you're the master, then I don't see the problem."
I've been thinking about the "slavery" characterization of addiction and what I've come up with is that the "slavery" has two aspects. The first is the slavery which we have to a substance. The substance controls us, invades our lives, occupies most of our energies, and finally undermines our health and takes away all we hold dear. The second aspect is financial. It becomes particularly acute with unlawful drugs, which, unlike alcohol, often entail great daily expense. This produces economic slavery, an addict having to borrow, beg, steal or become a dealer in order to maintain the habit. In this sense, he or she's in slavery two fold: bodily and financially a slave. A true nightmare. The only way out is to end the addiction to the substance. Easier said than done. The substance is the true master but there may be others: those from whom the substance must be obtained and, if there are trips to prison, then that involves a further loss of freedom.

W.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

211 wrote: "Do know, there are some of us who just want to make the pain last."

How does one reply to such a statement? For me, it is tomorrow "to fresh woods and pastures new".

W.