Notices

Made it to one week, but back to day one...

Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it to one week, but back to day one...

I made it to a week today, but then my rationalizing self got to me. I thought I was going to do this for real... I had a less severe gambling problem which has since become easy to control, but how on earth do you beat the voices that set in at about one to two to three weeks? I just feel like I won't ever beat it given that I will eventually convince myself that I don't have a problem (which is precisely the problem...).
Old 03-24-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup, I can totally relate. Many day ones for me. There are a lot of recovery programs out there. I use AA and SR and they have helped me stay sober for longer than I ever have (only 4.5 months at this point) but still quite a feat for me! Before getting help, I was doing it alone and it just didn't work. The addictive voice will tell us anything to get us to pick up again. There are tools to beat it though and reaching out here is a great start
Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When you quit drinking you stop waiting... That's a great sentiment that I am going to try to hold onto.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If you really feel that you can't beat it, try an inpatient detox program for a few days. That will change your mind in a lot of ways!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Benrush! Sobriety can be hard...our mind tells us "it will be different this time" and we drink again. It's a sick circle that we run ourselves around in. Are you going at this alone or do you have a support system in place? It's daunting to stay sober on our own especially in the beginning. Finding a good support like AA can do wonders. We don't have to do this alone! ! Please keep coming back here and posting.

Try writing a gratitude list every day. Write down a couple things you are grateful for that you have because of sobriety. That helps me anyways.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Forgive yourself for your slip, learn from it, and start moving forward again. Never give up!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am on my 8th day, previously I was on my 18th day but I slipped. I was also very disappointed by myself especially the morning after. The voices are very hard to beat, what I found useful is to plan my day in the morning and avoid places (change supermarket if you used to buy from a particular supermarket), my problem is that I was a a main alcohol customer to every bar and supermarket that exist in my small island. Ridiculous!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Surrender. Know that you can't drink.

It takes time to fully grasp this, but you can stay stopped, too!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you beat it. I think you accept it. Then you begin to recover. I had to fully accept that drinking was no longer an option, ever. When I did that, my mind began to work in healthy ways to deal with life.

When the voice speaks to you, recognize it for what it is. Hear it and let it go. It isn't you and it doesn't control you. You can do this!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Ben-

I think you'll find a ton of really good approaches and ideas here at SR.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Forgive yourself for your slip, learn from it, and start moving forward again. Never give up!
I try to never slip the same way twice.