Notices

Sober snacks and virgin drinks: share your recipes!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
now's the time

Sober snacks and virgin drinks: share your recipes!

So like many of you early in recovery, I am rediscovering the fact that human beings, when not surviving purely off of booze, need to eat surprisingly frequently. I am snacking like crazy!

I've discovered the need for both interesting snacks and tasty non-alcoholic beverages.

I thought it might be useful if we shared!

Here are a few of mine:

Crunchy roasted chickpeas

Preheat over to 400 degrees (fahrenheit).
Take two cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Lay out on the counter between two towels and massage to get excess water out (skins may come off as well, that's fine).
Place in bowl, coat with olive oil (flavored if you'd like) and your choice of spices. I like a good berber or ras al hanout mix, but it can be anything. Chili, lemon, etc.
Bake until as crispy as you'd like. 20 - 30 min. Store in tupperware. Good salty snack that's also a good source of protein.

Greek yogurt with fruit and honey

That's it! Greek yogurt, cover with favorite granola. Then put honey on top of that and top the whole thing off with pieces of your favorite fruit. Sweet and filling.

Basil sparkling lemonade

In a small saucepan heat a sprig of basil with a couple spoons of honey and some water until the honey is completely dissolved to make a simple syrup. Squeeze fresh lemon juice. I like to make a drink that's about 1/3 sparkling water, 1/3 lemon juice, and 1/3 simple syrup over ice. Also good with mint if you're not into basil.

Sparkling cranberry lemonade

For this one I substitute sweetened cranberry juice for the simple syrup in the drink above.

What are you guys snacking on? I'd love ideas!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like frying up some overly ripe plantains in olive oil and then eating them with a bit of salsa. It's a nutritious solution for craving sweets. With some black beans it's an entire meal. If I'm feeling like it, I'll make a plantains and black beans burrito, often with avocado.

as far as drinks, I like to drink fresh lemon and ginger root tea every night. It's good for you and it satisfies my urge to have a drink to sip on that's not just a normal glass of water or iced tea.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cranberry and Gingerale.

Chocolate Chex Turtle Mix.

Not together of course.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Coca-Cola and fresh lime.

It's not very sophisticated but then neither am I!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Oh my goodness.... I love this thread!!!

I was mentioning my need to have fun n/a drinks, and in putting thought into it, I've realized there is quite a few things I can make or order when out and about..

Oh, I just LOVE your recipe for Basil Sparkling Lemonade!!! I happened to have just picked up a live basil plant at the market today, sparkling water and plenty of lemons... I am so going to make this!!

Right now the 'cocktail' I'm doing at home is Pomegranate juice and seltzer with a squeeze of lemon.

I also got some organic veggie juice at the market that I also plan to enjoy with a squeeze of lemon and maybe even a celery stalk!

As for snacks, right now my favorite snack is Kale Chips! I found baby kale in the market which I think works best:

Preheat oven to 350
Toss baby kale or torn pieces of kale in EVO (extra virgin olive oil)
Spread out in one layer (as best you can) on a baking sheet
Sprinkle on a nice layer of sea salt... I'm pretty generous!
If you like, you can also sprinkle parm cheese or chili powder or whatever other spice you desire.
Bake for 6 or 7 - 10 minutes. I found it really varies depending on the age of the kale and how much olive oil you use. If the kale got saturated in oil, it will need more time to cook. I just start checking at 6 minutes, remove if ready, or toss a bit and roast more if needed.

I can eat a whole 'bag' of these things before my dinner is ready with my juice drink... I just love them!!!!!

And what a great idea with the chic peas! I'm going to make a batch of those too!!! Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Avacado, I love plaintains!! But I like the under ripe ones made into 'platanos'... awesome with fresh guac or salsa.... Thanks for the reminder!!

Oooo, this would be a great snack with a 'mock sangria' (I'm thinking grape juice, simple syrup, fresh sliced lemons, limes and or oranges and pineapple, dash of selzer)...

Yeah! I'm on a roll!!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love this thread too!

Martha Stewart has lots of great non alcohol drink recipes and I love the Pink Grapefruit Margarita. You can't mess it up but it has pink grapefruit juice, a couple of tablespoons of pomegranate syrup or you can use grenadine and some squeezed lime. Sugar the rim with a pretty colored sugar.

For me it's fun being creative making non alcoholic concoctions. I buy fizzy water by the cases and just play with all sorts of juices, fruits, and flavors. In my opinion, these ingredients were always the tastiest part of drinks. Straight alcohol is horrible tasting. It tastes like rubbing alcohol! This also helps me not feel like I'm deprived in any way. I get to have every yummy ingredient ever used to cover up and make that poison palatable! I get to drink a million ingredient options in a million different ways but I'm only giving up one...the garbage tasting poison one.

Another thing I do is always use a pretty glass and garnishes. I like pretty glasses so I'm using them! Especially vintage ones. Even when I go out I will ask the server to put my sparkly water in a wine glass and garnish with mint or lemons or anything. That may not work for everyone but it doesn't bother me to use any type of glass. Same as the pink grapefruit margarita, doesn't bother me to use a margarita glass but it may for some...either way it's a very pretty drink in any glass.

This is awesome!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
All is Change

I'm glad someone started a thread on food.
I'm inclined to a simple diet. I'd like to get back to making my own muesli but for now I find a bowl of that with no sugar and with fresh orange juice or water starts the day off nicely. I let the fluid soak in for half an hour or so before eating. In the evenings I like a selection of fresh fruit, water and maybe yoghurt (greek is best imo) to mix that into.
One day I might branch out into some more complex meals. Occasionally I do a steak and a fresh salad.
Sprouts are easy to grow and nice to add.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not crazy about the platanos, though occasionally I'll have them out sopmewhere. I've never tried making my own Kale chips. I think I'll try it tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

kale chips

make sure they are really dry, toss in olive oil, bake in a single layer 250 F for about 10-15 minutes

sprinkle sea salt with powdered garlic on top, but not too much!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wonderful idea for a thread fantail! This is definitely the area that I've been focusing on and it's helped immensely in my recovery. My main go-to drink is just sparkling water with a few drops of cranberry juice. I love it and drink it all day and evening. For a healthy, crunchy and easy snack I like to slice up small, raw zucchini and sprinkle with salt. My other favorite is baked, sweet potato fries. Just slice into large wedges, toss with light olive oil and sea salt, and bake at 425 for 15 mins and then turn and bake another 10 on the other side.

Also, I went out with a friend a few weekends ago and was hesitant about dinner and avoiding drinks. To my pleasant surprise she also has quit drinking alcohol. She told me that she orders iced tea and you get free refills the rest of the entire meal. The iced tea really does taste so much more refreshing too.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Edamame...with a little sea salt. I can eat a huge bowl like popcorn!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I freeze medjool dates. It's like eating toffee! I also make sweet potato fried and kale chips.

My favourite drink is coconut water.

Great thread Fantail!

S x
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sweet potato wedges: chop sweet potato into wedges, mix with olive oil and paprika, bake at 200 for 30 minutes. Also works for regular potatoes, carrots, and parsnips

Hummus and harrissa pizzas: Spread generous amounts of hummous and then harrissa over a (shop-bought in my case) pizza base. Cover with all the magical ingredients you can think of. Oven at 220 for 10 minutes. Delicious and healthy!

Also: fruit, fruit, fruit. I've been a fruit fiend since quitting. It's a great natural sugar replacement, and the variety means you never get bored.

Drinkwise: apart from fruit juice and tons of water, I'm been having hazelnut milk, chocolate rice milk, and fruit and herbal teas. My body is really thanking me for all this attention and variety.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
now's the time

All of these ideas are so wonderful! I'm going to have to print this out to take with me to the grocery store! Thanks for sharing everyone, really good stuff.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Chop fresh fruit into a jug, fill with soda water leave in fridge to soak then pour over ice-yummy
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Cranberry and Gingerale.
My new fave!

Also, tea, tea and more tea.

I like the 85% cacao chocolate.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

bacon
Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

360 shoes...is that a pot of cioppino in you avatar? My favorite. Almost made a batch this weekend.

Pistachio bark with dark chocolate. For drinks, lots of green tea, decaf over ice, and hot caf. Also switched to selzer water, flavored and non. Was doing pellegrino and perrier before, but they lower body ph so switched to the selzer. Fruits are back in the diet too. And lots of eggs.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
kale chips

make sure they are really dry, toss in olive oil, bake in a single layer 250 F for about 10-15 minutes

sprinkle sea salt with powdered garlic on top, but not too much!
I love Kale Chips! My wife uses sea salt but in summer she’ll through a little dash of Old Bay on there! Heavenly.

I’m usually so beat at night that I don’t have a ton of time to prepare a snack so I go with the a saltine loaded with a heap of prepared horseradish. They are only 10 calories each so I’ll make anywhere from 5-10 for evening sports viewing. They really hit the spot and I love the kick from the horseradish.