Notices

Sober snacks and virgin drinks: share your recipes!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Crunchy roasted chickpeas? Sounds fantastic!! Thanks, fantail!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
360 shoes...is that a pot of cioppino in you avatar? My favorite. Almost made a batch this weekend.

Pistachio bark with dark chocolate. For drinks, lots of green tea, decaf over ice, and hot caf. Also switched to selzer water, flavored and non. Was doing pellegrino and perrier before, but they lower body ph so switched to the selzer. Fruits are back in the diet too. And lots of eggs.
Paella...my friend made it and it was a work of art. I wish I could do that!

I have always thought the real beauty in life can just be the small details. I also love putting fresh raspberries, blueberries etc in a ice cube tray. Makes the refreshing beverage look special.

Yep, this is getting printed...such great ideas!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oops with water too. Cute little ice cubes in other words.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I do not like flying because the seats are so cramped. I only fly first class, and instead of booze I order club soda mixed with orange juice.

Since we quit drinking, we drink huge amounts of club soda--straight up from the bottle in the yard, on the rocks with lime, mixed with cranberry juice.....
Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I also love putting fresh raspberries, blueberries etc in a ice cube tray. Makes the refreshing beverage look special.
Great idea, I'll definitely try it
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Love the ice cube and berry idea!!!

And glad to see I'm not the only one obsessed with kale chips lol
Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
now's the time

OK, munching on my first kale chips. Soooo good! Thank you Phebe and others who shared the idea!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Why is this thread just making me think that my dietary habits add up to an epic fail?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

Sorry, Phebe and everyone else, I don't read all of the post before I post.

Kale chips are too cool!

There is a Health and Nutrition Forum if you scroll down with lots of interesting things to read!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

First of all, some of your snack are more elaborate than most of my meals! Anyway, here's a recipe I have from my mom. It's delicious (when she makes it).

Take a baguette (thick baguette works best), cut thick slices of it and empty out some of the inside so as to make little bread bowls.

In a separate bowl, break an egg and beat it as though you were making an omelet, grate cheese into it (cheddar or kashkaval-type works best, mozzarella is okay) and add whatever seasonings you like (oregano is good, vegeta if you can find it, whatever).

The egg-to-cheese ratio depends on taste. There should be enough cheese for the overall consistency to be gooey rather than liquid with bits of cheese in it, but the egg should still be the basis.

Pour the mix into the bread bowls, put in the oven (400-425, preheated while you made the sandwiches) for 10-15 minutes depending on how firm you want it to be. Enjoy.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sugarbear... never a problem. I like to see the different temps and times and spices we all use to make the same thing!

Hey Avacado! I had Plantanos tonight with salsa!! Woot!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Someguy23;3881661]First of all, some of your snack are more elaborate than most of my meals! Anyway, here's a recipe I have from my mom. It's delicious (when she makes it).

The best recipes always come from Moms. Thank you Someguy, I'm giving it a try.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Found these Vitamin Water Recipes in a blog!! They sound AMAZING!!

1) The Classical : Lemon/Cucumber:
Mix in a pitcher: 10 cups of water + 1 cucumber and a lemon, thinly sliced + 1/4 cup fresh finely chopped basil leaf + 1/3 of finely chopped fresh mint leaves. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

2) The Granite : Strawberry/Lime or Raspberry/Lime
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 6 strawberries / 0r Raspberries and one thinly sliced lime + 12 finely chopped fresh mint leaves. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

3) The Digestive : Fennel/Citrus
First: infuse 1 to 3 grams of dried and crushed fennel in 150 ml of boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Allow to cool.
Mix in a pitcher: 10 cups of water + lemon juice (put the leftover lemon in the mix) + a small thinly sliced orange + 12 fresh chopped mint leaves + the infusion of fennel seeds. Leave in refrigerator overnight before serving.

4) The AntiOX : Blackberry/Sage
Note that a part from the berries, sage leafs is the herb that has the highest antioxidant content.
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of blackberries that have been very slightly crushed + 3-4 sage leaves. Leave in refrigerator overnight before serving.

5) WATERmelon : Watermelon/Rosemary
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of watermelon cut into cubes + 2 rosemary stems. Leave in refrigerator overnight before serving.

6) The Exotic : Pineapple/Mint
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of pineapple cut into cubes + 12 fresh mint leaves finely chopped. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

7) The Traditional : Apple/Cinnamon
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of apple cut into cubes + 2 cinnamon sticks + 2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

8.) The Zingibir : Ginger/tea
In advance: heat 1 teaspoon of ginger in two cups of tea, let it cool down.

Mix in a pitcher: 10 cups of water with two cups of the ginger tea + 4-5 pieces of fresh ginger cut into cubes. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have never had kale chips. To be honest it sounds terrible...we're talking about kale, right? Isn't kale a vegetable like lettuce? Are you saying you brush olive oil on some lettuce and bake them into chips?

My "must-have" is sparkling water and go through a ton of it. I always have fresh lemons or limes to squeeze in over an iced glass. I read that the small bit of fiber from the lemons and limes also help your body absorb the water better. Tastes great, way better than a soda with all that sugar!

My favorite breakfast is beans & rice. I know it sounds like a "bachelor special" but it's really not. I worked as a line cook and grill cook in the past so I can come up with fancy stuff but this dish is more realistic and more of a staple. Simply get a saucepan and saute some onion and a bit of garlic in olive oil. Add a can of red beans, half can of diced tomatoes, season with pepper, cayenne, sriacha sauce, chili powder, and thyme. Or just look in your spice rack and take artistic license with whatever. Put some over warm rice, and if you're feeling cheeky put a fried egg on the side. If you have fresh parsley you can use that for garnish. I also like a bowl of fresh fruit on the side.

Pour yourself a cup of coffee, watch the sun come up, and imagine you are starting your day in the mountains of Central America.

It's filling, full of fiber and vitamins, inexpensive, and non-fat. Have a great day all!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I have never had kale chips. To be honest it sounds terrible...we're talking about kale, right? Isn't kale a vegetable like lettuce? Are you saying you brush olive oil on some lettuce and bake them into chips?
Rabbit snack food.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

yep, we are saying brush olive oil (and salt!) on these 'lettuce leaves' that have been torn into bite size pieces and Bake.

They come out crispy and salty and very very tasty.

Don't knock it till you try it Mr. 'beans and rice for breakfast' ! lol