Notices

How do I start

Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I start

Hello, I am just starting this journey. I am a heavy drinker, and want to stop. I am afraid to go cold turkey, so does anyone have any thoughts for me. Gradual. I practice yoga daily and meditate, so have that as a support. I live in a small town, and don't have access to AA.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

See a doctor for a medically supervised detox if you are a heavy, daily drinker.

Think of how far you would sometimes go to get that drink, that is how far and more you need to go to get and stay sober. Should have AA meetings in nearest towns, I know some guys/gals would drive 1.5-2 hours to a great meeting....

Good luck, and keep posting !
Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can you see your doctor and ask for help in getting thru the first few days? Withdrawal can be dangerous and it's a good idea to have someone nearby in case you feel really bad and need medical attention.

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Check with a doctor and just be honest It's all private. It's touch but you can do it. There are a lot of heavy drinkers that have don't it but yiu have to want to quit. See you around and welcome
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I found a free detox program, it only took a few days. A doctor gave me medication to ease withdrawals. It was comfortable but minimal; in fact it was such a distraction from my normal routine that I forgot to be miserable. I met people who were going through far worse things than me--and knew some would make it and some wouldn't.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A doctor is the way to go in my opinion. They can point the way.

And check back here and let us know how you're doing.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This place is great! As others mentioned above sometimes going through a supervised medical detox is the safest bet. Best to check with your doctor...it's different for each person. If you can get to AA somehow that is what has made a huge difference for me in my recovery. I think there are online meetings you can find too. Getting a support system in place is really important. I did a month at an inpatient rehab then a few months doing an outpatient program. Now I have a sponsor & attend AA. Support is key and it lets you know that you don't have to do this alone!

Glad you are here! !!!