Notices

Hello

Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi. I'm new, and thought I should introduce myself.

I'm in my mid twenties, been drinking since my teens. Both my parents were alcoholics so there were no problems with it. For the past 3 years, my routine was to work in the morning, and drink in the evening. I'm a teacher...I absolutely love my job and I've never, ever been drunk in front of my students, but I have been hungover more times than I'd like to admit.

A few months ago after one of my old friends realized how much I drank and was extremely concerned. She made me see the extent of my problem, and so I decided to get sober. Withdrawals were hell but I managed, and stayed sober for almost four months-but then I relapsed. I put myself in a situation I shouldn't have and pretty much drank for a week straight, skipped work and everything. I've now been sober for 2 days and hope to stay that way. It's surprising though how hard it is.

Apologies for the novel! I hope everyone has some wisdom for me!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hi and welcome!

I don't have much advice, but I can tell you that I think your experience is pretty normal... I'm on day 39 right now, but I quit earlier this year, too. That time I made it for a couple of weeks and then fell hard. I know that many other folks around here had relapses before they reached their goal. I'm hoping that I won't have any more, but I think the one I had earlier in the year was necessary. It showed me how easy it is to get back into it even when I feel confident. I'm the type of person who needs to try things out for myself before I believe them, so I think it was important for me to have that experience. It sounds like you learned from yours, as well!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ab588 welcome to SR!

Firstly congratulations on your 2 days!

Have a look round the forum and keep in touch. You may be interested in the class of March 2013 thread, it is a group of people who have quit in March who provide daily support and advice (as well as fantastic nonsense :p) as we're all going through the early stages of sobriety (again or for the first time).

Again welcome, glad you have decided to join us
Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to the class, and pull up a chair. We're all students here!

My wife and I are sober 145 days. I went to detox, then AA meetings for ninety days. SoberRecovery helps too!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome AB588
to me there's two main factors to successful recovery - change, and support.

Don ;t be afraid to make changes in your life - especially if your old life centered heavily on drinking...and don;t be afraid to reach out and as for help - this can be a tough journey some days - we can all use a little support sometimes

good to have you join us

D
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR AB588

Although I was always concerned about how much I drank it was never really a massive problem until I tried to quit. It ain't easy. But If I knew how much I was covering up by drinking and how freeing being sober is I would have attempted it much sooner. I was a mess in my mid twenties and am just starting to pull things together in my thirties. Glad you are tackling this now x
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family AB588. I'm sure you'll be right at home here. We all understand what you're coping with.

It's good that you saw the warning signs and took heed. I wish I had. I once drank only on weekends, then every night. In the end I never drew a sober breath - went to work with a stash, too. I can't believe how dependent I was on it. I can't even remember the last time it was fun. You'll be avoiding all that drama and chaos! Congratulations for making this wise decision to reclaim your life.