Notices

Questions about possible alcoholism

Old 05-04-2004, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about possible alcoholism

Hello—

This is the first time I have posted to a forum like this, and I have a few questions. First, a little background. I have always enjoyed drinking more than most people I know. Mom, probably dad, both grandfathers, and sundry uncles and cousins are/were alcoholics. I did my share of binge drinking in college, etc. When I became a Christian about 10 years ago, I stopped drinking completely and didn’t have a single drop for about 7 years. This was no problem for me at all.

About three years ago, my husband and I started going out on Friday nights for dinner and a pitcher of beer. This has progressed to the point that we go to the bar across the street with my sister- and brother-in-law. My husband and I party pretty good there. We do a few shots before we go, and a few shots with our beers while we’re there. We also drink every night at home.

At home, I drink to the point of getting a “sleepy buzz� and then go to sleep. I suffer from anxiety and depression and am taking medications for this. There have never been any family crises due to drinking, DUIs, arrests, etc. I am maintaining a 4.0 average in nursing school.

Saturday night, there was no alcohol in the house except for some old Tequila, which I despise. I had three Tequila Sunrises. The next morning, I said “hmmm..� I had been wondering about my drinking for some time, and the fact that I would drink something I hated kind of made me nervous. I decided to see if I could stop drinking. Sunday and Monday night, I didn’t have anything to drink at all. I was kind of nervous Sunday night because it would be the first night without alcohol in a while, but I suffered no physical problems at all. Even mentally, by Monday it was a piece of cake not to drink.

Our Friday night bar outings are a “tradition.� If I were to stop going, I would absolutely NEVER hear the end of it, especially from my sister-in-law (who only drinks very moderately). I would be called a fraud and a phony, trying to be “better� than her. Also, my husband and I really enjoy going there on Fridays. We have a good time and enjoy b-s’ing with our neighbors. Is there a reason why I couldn’t just go out on Fridays and not drink the rest of the week?

Sorry this is so dreadfully long, but I really would like some input/suggestions/opinions. Thank you so much!

Siouxz2
Old 05-04-2004, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Re: Questions about possible alcoholism

Hi and welcome!

First off I live by a motto of a fellow moderator"

"It's none of my business what you think of me!"

As we progress in our drinking, for some it turns to alcoholism, some heavy drinkers, some can quit and easily moderate. Point being we're all different.

You have to ask yourself what happens when you drink. Can you drink just one and walk away. Do you alway's drink for the buzz? What kind of behavior ensues when you do drink?

If you want to get a handle on your drinking, then you can do it. It's your life, your health, your future. You can go to the friday night outing, just don't drink alcohol.

If your concerned and not sure where you "fit" please read the Big Book for Alcoholics Anonymous (Can be found here in AA forum online) and "Under the Influence" . They both offer good information, stories, and discuss the physiological aspects of alcoholism.

Your the one in control of your life, what would be in YOUR best interest?

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/problem/ This may be of some help.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi Souixz2,
Even if you are not addicted to alcohol, there may be some underlying emotional issues that you are medicating. Being in a family wrought with alcoholism brings it's own set of neurosis. May I suggest that you check out the Alanon and ACoA boards. You may find that you can relate to it, and maybe get some idea of a direction you want to go. I have had many destructive behaviors that I used to cope before I decided to take a look at what was really bothering me. Although I wasn't addicted to a substance, I did use that and other things as a crutch. Good luck and welcome. Magic
Old 05-04-2004, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there , and welcome from me too!

My name is Lee, alcoholic , 6 1/2 months sober , and loving it !

I think that the fact you are asking about your drinking, means that it is worrying you, and that in itself is not a good thing .

As for the anxiety , and depression, I too, suffered from both when I was drinking, for 37 years, since I have been sober, these have more or less disappeared.

As Chy has said , it is YOUR life , and YOUR body that is involved , it is immaterial what others think of you , wether you drink or not . You could still go out on Fridays , and not drink alcohol, OR you could try ONLY drinking on Fridays and see how you go.

Another option, is not to drink ANYTHING alcoholic for 30 days , and see how you feel

Good Luck , keep posting , and let us know how you are doing

HUGX
Lee
Old 05-04-2004, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why on earth would you be interested in the opinion of anyone who, you think, would call you a fraud, a phony and say you're better than them???

Love, Anna
Old 05-04-2004, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my opinion, can you control it, or does it control you? couple drinks is ok, buuuut, if you start on friday night and don't don't stop till sunday night, it will probably escalate. pretty soon, you'll be into some serious problems i.e. crackin one Monday morning to fight off Sunday night, or maybe sunDay.
it's good your heading it off at the pass by questioning it. keep in touch
Old 05-05-2004, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HI WELCOME,
FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD ALCOHOLISM IS THOUGHT TO BE HEREDITARY.
DRINKING WHILE ON ANTI-DEPRESSANTS CAN BE FATAL.
LOTS OF GOOD INFO. SAID ALREADY.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL DRINKING ON YOUR MEDIATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GLAD YOUR HERE,KEEP POSTING.

ted :spectacle
Old 05-05-2004, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I'm an alcoholic. As ted mentioned, the medication and alcohol may not be a safe combo. Should talk to your Dr. or pharmacist to be sure with your particular med. Otherwise, judging by your history, and by what you said about drinking for that "sleepy buzz" could suggest that you may have, or could develop a problem.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Siouxz2
Hello—

snip
Our Friday night bar outings are a “tradition.� If I were to stop going, I would absolutely NEVER hear the end of it, especially from my sister-in-law (who only drinks very moderately). I would be called a fraud and a phony, trying to be “better� than her. Also, my husband and I really enjoy going there on Fridays. We have a good time and enjoy b-s’ing with our neighbors. Is there a reason why I couldn’t just go out on Fridays and not drink the rest of the week?

Sorry this is so dreadfully long, but I really would like some input/suggestions/opinions. Thank you so much!

Siouxz2
Welcome, Sioux!

So, this Friday evening drink very moderately, like your sister-in-law. And don't drink again Saturday or Sunday. Post on Sunday evening and let us know how it went. I'm not being flippant. If you're ambivalent about quitting drinking you don't have to rush into abstinence. Reducing your alcohol intake is good for you anyway, so why not start with that? Just tell them you're on a low-carb diet. Let's see-- at 150 - 300 calories per drink....

I believe we drink for any number of reasons, and part of it is that we believe drinking provides some benefits. How do you think alcohol enhances those Friday evenings? What would you be missing if you weren't drinking and others were? Would you be willing to reduce or eliminate the alcohol to find out? It would make an interesting discussion next week.

Fear of how others are going to react to our new abstinence is a very, very common concern from people who are quitting drinking. There are a lot of ways to deal with that.

BTW, like JustMe, I had anxiety and panic attacks when I was drinking. They went away when I quit. I can't promise that'll be the case for you, but it's worth a try!

Thanks for posting, Sioux. This is a great topic.

Don S
Old 05-06-2004, 04:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Souix,

Thanks for posting; you can certainly take the option Don mentioned and try this Friday to drink moderately. I personally feel though, that once we are doing so much thinking about drinking is that we are well on our way to being alcoholic. In the long run, it is so much easier to be abstinent, if for no other reason than we don't need to drink. I have had many long periods of abstinence, and every time I picked up a drink again it became a problem. (Just had one yesterday, so now I have to go through that 2-week period that I think it takes, not to get it out of my system, but to get it out of my mind.)

Glad you are here and good luck, Gianna