Notices

Withdrawal - Day 2

Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal - Day 2

Hi. I'm new to this site and so grateful I found it!

I'm in my mid thirties and have been abusing alcohol for approximately 12 years. I'm a 2 bottle (regular bottles, not 1.5) of wine girl. I also come from a family of alcoholics who are in denial. I am not. I know I'm an alcoholic.

I am so overwhelmed. Wine has been my "friend" for such a long time and I am scared to death to lose my friend. But I made the decision last night - after many attempts before - to quit for 30 days and see how I feel and then reevaluate my life. To think of "forever" right now is just too much.

Yesterday was my day 1 by accident. I happened to spend the entire day with a friend who does not drink. By the time I got home, the liquor stores were closed (I made a conscious decision not to keep wine in the house anymore). So I was left with no option but to go to bed sober. As a side note, my hands had been shaking during the day.

I barely slept. Hot and cold, clammy, restless. I spent most of the night on the internet and am now scared to death of having a seizure. Several websites say that going cold turkey from alcohol is highly dangerous. I have diazepam from my doctor (for panic attacks) and am taking multivitamins and drinking plenty of fluids.

I am not asking for medical expertise. I am just wondering if I am being unnecessarily freaked out by what I'm reading on the internet. I know everyone's experience is different. I also just really felt like I needed to introduce myself and finally face my reality.

Thanks for listening.
xoxo
Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Welcome
Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I try not to diagnose myself with info from the internet. It freaks me out and makes me paranoid. Yes, alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous so seek medical help if you get to feeling too bad. You can do this!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Reading on the Internet about any health issues can freak you out, even if you aren't going through withdrawal. Having said that, the only way to be sure of your health is to visit a doctor and be honest about your drinking and that you have quit. Withdrawal can be very dangerous, but it doesn't have to be with help.

Congrats on your decision to quit, and stay with us here. We can't give medical advice but lots of support and resources are here 24/7
Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome...very important 1st day....try not to be alone...give your friend a call and hang out
Old 03-24-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Ostrich,

Welcome to SR. The booze was my friend too. I didn't know how I would cope in life without it. But I can and you will beable to too.

Don't think forever as all that is required is just to get thur each day. I'm 8 months sober and I still get thru each day at a time. Do it a minute at a time if you have to.

I have peace and contentment that I never thought possible without the booze!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome....this website has really helped a lot as far as maintaining my sobriety! Seek medical attention if necessary...you are worth it!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You all are making me cry! So much love and support within minutes of posting (which was a huge step for me in the first place). Thank you all so much! I feel like this website and you wonderful people are literally saving my life.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ostrich123 View Post
Hi. I'm new to this site and so grateful I found it!

I'm in my mid thirties and have been abusing alcohol for approximately 12 years. I'm a 2 bottle (regular bottles, not 1.5) of wine girl. I also come from a family of alcoholics who are in denial. I am not. I know I'm an alcoholic.

I am so overwhelmed. Wine has been my "friend" for such a long time and I am scared to death to lose my friend. But I made the decision last night - after many attempts before - to quit for 30 days and see how I feel and then reevaluate my life. To think of "forever" right now is just too much.

Yesterday was my day 1 by accident. I happened to spend the entire day with a friend who does not drink. By the time I got home, the liquor stores were closed (I made a conscious decision not to keep wine in the house anymore). So I was left with no option but to go to bed sober. As a side note, my hands had been shaking during the day.

I barely slept. Hot and cold, clammy, restless. I spent most of the night on the internet and am now scared to death of having a seizure. Several websites say that going cold turkey from alcohol is highly dangerous. I have diazepam from my doctor (for panic attacks) and am taking multivitamins and drinking plenty of fluids.

I am not asking for medical expertise. I am just wondering if I am being unnecessarily freaked out by what I'm reading on the internet. I know everyone's experience is different. I also just really felt like I needed to introduce myself and finally face my reality.

Thanks for listening.
xoxo
Hi ostrich!

I too was a 2 bottle of wine a night girl!
I am on 3 days sober and can honestly say it is purely because of this site. The people here are full of advice, support and encouragement at any time of day. My only regret is not finding them sooner. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you and we'll all be right behind you.

So glad you that you have joined us and I wish you all the best on your road to recovery. Hope to see you around the forum
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Welcome Ostrich!

I am so happy you joined and shared your experience with us this morning... It makes me feel I'm not alone!!

I was a red wine girl also. Right now I am on day 15 of my recovery. I can not believe how much better, in just 2 weeks, my body is feeling!!!!!

It is a gift.

Before this, I was having liver pain and anxiety for the last 2 years. It started mild, but it was there. The last 6 months I could say were a crisis. The liver pain intensified, I had about 3 horrible episodes that scared the life out of me.

I had to stop.

My day 2, like you, and what followed were days of anxiety, insomnia, pains. I had no idea I was going thru withdrawals till I found this site and read here. By that time I was thru the worst of it and just dealing with remnants. At least I knew what it was....

There were a couple times I should probably have gone to ER and was this close to calling someone to take me. But I didn't know.

I would say keep a close moderation on your self the next week and like the others suggest, seek medical attention if necessary!!!

Love,
Phebe
Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone, especially my fellow former wine girls! I don't feel alone anymore!!! Yippee!!!

I'm single and, in a way, wine was my boyfriend. Does that make sense? Gotta kick that man to the curb! lol

Phebe tank you for sharing. I will definitely monitor myself closely. I am so glad nothing awful happened to you! Sounds extremely scary. Which leads me to wonder... why don't more people know about the dangers of quitting CT? Like a public service announcement or something along those lines. I consider myself a very well educated person and I NEVER knew that WD could get worse than the hand trembles and discomfort.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Ostrich123 View Post
I'm single and, in a way, wine was my boyfriend. Does that make sense? Gotta kick that man to the curb! lol

Totally makes sense. Go to this thread to see goodbye letters to alcohol.

They remind me of letters to bad boyfriends/girlfriends!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/..._________.html
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Omg, Wine was totally my boyfriend!!!! lol

I am in a much healthier relationship now.. me and my Beau have been together 5 months, and as irony would have it, he is in recovery too!!!!!!!!

Fate.

The Universe Rocks.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not sure what to think...

I'm still on day 2. Have been sweaty all day with very mild body tremors. My friend told me about when she tried to quit cold turkey she had hallucinations, etc. I am scared to death of having a seizure. So I had a glass of wine with dinner tonight. Ugh. I feel worse than I did before drinking it. It wasn't such a good idea, but what's done is done. At least I stopped at one glass. Tomorrow is another day... and the reality is it's MUCH less than I ordinarily drink, so maybe it's a little victory in a way. I don't know. I suppose I'll count tomorrow as day 1 again...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you, Ostrich - I'm so glad you found us. Not being alone anymore really lessened my anxiety.

I drank all my life and was so afraid to let go of it. It was making me miserable in the end, though. It wasn't fun or relaxing the way it once was. I finally gave up the idea that I could ever just have a few like I could years ago - willpower never worked for me.

You will begin to feel better, and you never have to go back to that awful place again. Congratulations for seeing what alcohol was doing to your life - you'll never regret taking action.