Notices

Starting all over

Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting all over

I knew I was not strong enough to go to bar . I knew I should have stayed to the hotel and not go out. I hate travelling for that reason, I feel like I have to go out an get drunk to have a good time. Then I make a foul of myself and feel crappy and anxiety all over again and can't remember half the night so I worry intensely.

I'm sorry I let myself down and I really feel guilty an ashame. How to prevent that? What tool do you use to avoid these temptations?

Prion
Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Prion,
Maybe you've learned something from this experience ? Can you think of a better plan for remaining sober when you travel?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get to a local AA meeting wherever you are traveling...

Sobriety has to come first. Always.

I avoided people/places/situations that reminded me of drinking for for first 3-4 months.

It can be done... Now I travel on business all over North America, get out to great dinners, parties and ALL WITHOUT ALCOHOL ! I had many many mornings like yours back in the day....

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A very wise woman here used to say "you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink." Maybe you haven't decided yet how badly you want to be sober. Give it another try. Never give up.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I travel I will fly later on in the evening and get to the hotel and go to bed. The next day go to work and then get back on a plane and leave. I know there is a bar in the hotel but I don't need to go get a drink. I can also do work in the hotel or get ready for the next day. Next time just plan ahead all of your steps.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes i learned something, i learned that I really cant handle alcohol like a normal person do.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you have a laptop and get to the hotel read the Big Book. They have an on line copy. Take notes
Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AA helped me.

No matter where you travel there are likely several AA meetings to choose from. Go to one, and at the start of the meeting when they ask if anyone is visiting, raise your hand. You will quickly have some new friends who can help you stay sober.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I have to go out of town, I like to research the surrounding area that I will be in beforehand to examine local activities. Maybe there is a movie theater near the hotel you'll be at? Anyplace that doesn't serve alcohol, and provides some sort of entertainment, is a good place to go.

Glad you came here, and good luck on your sobriety.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If I were traveling, I would look up an NA meeting. CAUTION: There will be drug addicts at this meeting. Those folks saved my life by volunteering and coming to my detox program.