Notices

Wine Country

Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wine Country

When i quit drinking before, I counted the days that i was sober. It was a milestone with each passing day. I was amazed at how many days or months i was able to go about life without alcohol. Today, the counting has no relevance. It is not important to my newly sober life. I have been banned from the substance, like being banned from a country. I really came to know the insides and outs of Wine country. I knew its highs and lows....its Peaks and Valleys. Some of the landscape was beautiful, and most of it was a terrible storm that caused me to seek shelter, or caused me to barricade myself inside until the hurricane passed. I do have some grieving that i am processing. It seems like something is missing.....What I do not miss: the battle to control the amount that i drink, the hangovers that stopped any productivity, the slurry words, the memory lapse, the apologies that i needed to make, the awful taste in my mouth, interrupted sleep, the body aches, the guilt, the lack of energy...
So, why do I grieve the absence of such a terrible thing? Only a Alcoholic knows that answer. It has always been there. It has been a staple, like bread or olive oil. Oh well. Ciao Bella! ( I think that means goodbye and Hello, right?)
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Sometimes I miss it. I see people in TV and in movies with it, or someone a table over in a restaurant. But I miss the romantic notion of it, it tastes good, the white goes perfect with salmon, etc. but the list of cons that posted far outweighs the romantic pros that I have.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
It seems like something is missing.... ( I think that means goodbye and Hello, right?)
Miz, I believe that hole I filled with men, alcohol, food, stuff was meant to be filled with God and it wasn't until I recommited myself to him that, that hole was filled.Ask him to fill it, He will in no time.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Miz, I believe that hole I filled with men, alcohol, food, stuff was meant to be filled with God and it wasn't until I recommited myself to him that, that hole was filled.Ask him to fill it, He will in no time.
Yes, of course. God has done for me what i was not able to do for myself. I am blessed.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I keep going to my meetings to be reminded of that simple truth.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I figure I had enough wine for one life time
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"interrupted sleep, the body aches, the guilt, the lack of energy" That's what did it for me. I live in the wine country literally. But I never went to a winery, just Walmart. I was in the "case of the week club".

I got to where if I only had 1 bottle a night I was proud of myself.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bad Romance

the battle to control the amount that i drink, the hangovers that stopped any productivity, the slurry words, the memory lapse, the apologies that i needed to make, the awful taste in my mouth, interrupted sleep, the body aches, the guilt, the lack of energy...

The seductiveness society has put on wine makes it hard to say "No, thank you". Still being free from all of the above makes it worth it to say "Goodbye To You"
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lucky1s View Post
I got to where if I only had 1 bottle a night I was proud of myself.
This was me! I'd wake up, not necessarily with a bad hangover, but I'd be telling myself well done! What's all that about!?!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

like Frisky said, I've grieved bad romances too.
We deserve better - and I believe we find it

D
Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If I count days it reminds me of when I was on a 365 day deployment. It sucked so I let time go and days go by easier.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mizz. I grieved, too - but I grieved for the way it was long ago - when I first enjoyed it and it was still fun. In the end, I was totally dependent on it and had it in my system 'round the clock. My friend and comforter had turned on me. It was so hard to admit I had crossed the line, and it could never be manageable or fun again. Finally, we learn to stop romanticizing it. Sounds like you are there.

Thanks for a thought-provoking & nicely written post.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me the romanticising I think is partly me looking back with rose tinted glasses. I see all these ideals in the media, couples sharing a bottle of wine on a romantic meal, friends having a picnic with a bottle, BUT was it like that for me? Was it sh*te haha!

I think I would have loved for it to be like that, absolutely, but it can't be and the only other alternative is sharing a bottle of wine on a romantic meal with a lovely man and then waking up on the restaurant floor on my own with the bartender telling me they're closing for the night.

Nice one panache...
Old 03-23-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am surprised at how much it reminds me of when I quit smoking. I didnt expect the cravings. At this stage it seems easier than quiting smoking but I imagine the relapses are much worse.

I actually think quitting smoking gave me a grip on what to expect now that I see how similar it is.

To be honest I think the only reason I was able to quit smoking was because I statred doing vodka shots instead.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

it's very similar to quitting smoking.