SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Anyone else get REALLY hungry in early recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/288478-anyone-else-get-really-hungry-early-recovery.html)

Vastreaction 03-22-2013 10:47 PM

Anyone else get REALLY hungry in early recovery?

During my first three days of shaky, sweaty withrawals, I grudgingly and miserably ate 2 cans of soup, and some eggs. I couldn't keep anything else down. I purged some of it.

72 hour mark was at Noon today, precisely three days. In the following 8 hours, I've eaten like 3 full meals and drank so much water, gatorade, and fruit juice. I'm just ravenous. It feels fantastic, actually.

Just wondered if this was a common occurrence?

SoberKnitter 03-22-2013 10:49 PM

I'm a week in, and I still have no appetite. I'm not nauseous anymore, but food just tastes icky.

avocado 03-22-2013 10:50 PM

Yeah. I made a decision at that time to eat whatever and whenever I wanted. I figured I'd indulge in that as a distraction and replacement for drinking. I remember I was drinking a lot of chocolate milk - like a half gallon a day for a little bit. I had a major appetite but that went back to normal after a couple weeks or so.

Coldfusion 03-22-2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by SoberKnitter (Post 3876488)
I'm a week in, and I still have no appetite. I'm not nauseous anymore, but food just tastes icky.

It's good to see a doctor before, during, and or after you detox especially if you have symptoms.

I'm glad I went to a detox program. The food wasn't that great, but I got medical supervision and introduction to AA.

Vastreaction 03-22-2013 11:09 PM

I don't even feel like I'm indulging, I just feel like I'm "catching up" I guess. I didn't eat much when i was binging, or for the withdrawal period.

I'm 6' tall, 206 pounds (probably need to lose about 20-25 for ideal weight) so I think it might just be natural hunger kicking back in

daisy1 03-22-2013 11:18 PM

I am a couple of weeks in and my appetite is normalising now, but yes I ate everything in sight at first - like you I thought I might as well give in and just do it, and it did feel good :-)

Vastreaction 03-23-2013 12:19 AM

I am eating relatively healthy foods though, so that's a good sign. I'm only 29 and I already have high blood pressure, and my latest binge/withdrawal caused it to spike like mad. I need to exercise more and alter my diet. This will be a good experience.

TotalFreedom 03-23-2013 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Vastreaction (Post 3876483)
During my first three days of shaky, sweaty withrawals, I grudgingly and miserably ate 2 cans of soup, and some eggs. I couldn't keep anything else down. I purged some of it.

72 hour mark was at Noon today, precisely three days. In the following 8 hours, I've eaten like 3 full meals and drank so much water, gatorade, and fruit juice. I'm just ravenous. It feels fantastic, actually.

Just wondered if this was a common occurrence?

This is normal. I hear this all the time from people who have been sick (not from withdrawal, but the flu for example) for a few days as well. Your body needs a good dose of food for the nutrients and energy to recover from the physical withdrawal.

As long as it passes as a phase as well, I'd go with it until your eating has normalized. Actually, after this phase, it would be a great moment to start eating the recommended healthy diet. And to start exercising as well. Your body will love it and it feels great!