Notices

new kind of addiction

Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new kind of addiction

Help!! I am in the middle of a new addiction. An affair I had has left me feeling like I am addicted all over again. I have had some clean time from drugs, but now have about 60 days. So im starting over in recovery, And then I met someone. almost instantly I became addicted. Im constantly checking emails, texts, messages. it is ended after only a few weeks but I am feeling like I am obsessing. Please help me with this addiction. I cannot continue to do this to myself. My addiction has definitely taken on a new life. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi egirlcat - welcome

I think thats actually pretty common.

If it's over the best thing you can do I think is keep moving on...keep walking.
The obsession will fade.

Use all the support you have for your recovery - that needs to be your main focus for a while I think....

I'm glad you've found us

D
Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us have addictive personalities. Being aware of what you're doing and that it's not healthy is a really good step in the right direction.

Try to focus on yourself and doing things to nurture you.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for those words. I felt better just admitting that rather than keep it in. Man, addiction is cunning. I thought i knew all the tools to keep addiction at bay. But, sometimes it finds a way in. And i feel so stupid for not seeing this coming. Thanks so much for the support.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm addicting to cleaning lol. It could be worse.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by egirlcat View Post
Help!! I am in the middle of a new addiction. An affair I had has left me feeling like I am addicted all over again. I have had some clean time from drugs, but now have about 60 days. So im starting over in recovery, And then I met someone. almost instantly I became addicted. Im constantly checking emails, texts, messages. it is ended after only a few weeks but I am feeling like I am obsessing. Please help me with this addiction. I cannot continue to do this to myself. My addiction has definitely taken on a new life. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Omg I just is the same thing!! The guy was perfect and I literally scared the **** out if the poor thing. I was so clingy because he gave me a reason NOT to use. I loved being around him. I never even thought about it. Thought he was gonna save me and I scared him away to the point where he told me to leave him alone and he didn't want to talk to me anymore. I'm kinda heart broken cause this guy has wanted me since we were 14 years old.at 32 I finally fell for him back and ****** it up so bad made me feel again like I **** everything up and I went back and used cause I felt so awful. I still do but I just pray everyday that he will forgive me. He went into it knowing I had issues and still wanted to date me.. Well in the end he bailed but he did get me away from some bad situations and people so for that ill be thankful. God bless him for that.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for posting that! Yea, i totally went into potential stalker mode. For real. Ive never done this before, been totally faithful, but i fell for this guy. I knew i had a problem when i check my phone and emails over 50x a day. I am so surprised at myself for not wanting to see what i was doing. Man, it feels good to have someone relate! I am an addict, and have to open my eyes to other addictions besides drugs.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The person addicted to cleaning- i can relate. I am addicted to money,chocolate and pretty much anything that makes me feel good and different.