Notices

I have settled on one method to stay sober.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have settled on one method to stay sober.

Hi. 72 hours sober, happy but not 'great'. I have had acute insomnia since I went cold turkey on Tuesday (I would always self medicate my anxiety and sleeplessness with beer). I finally got into the doctor today, brand new GP for me, first time having insurance in years. I was a shaky mess, lightheaded, high blood pressure, the works.

It was actually a great experience. He was an awesome guy. His nurse is hilarious and comforting. They calmed me down, got some blood tests, and got me some Librium to help with anxiety and get me to sleep. Even the pharmacist was very compassionate as she read the 'withdrawal' diagnosis. I go back in 6 weeks for a follow up.

Here's the thing: I'm gonna knock their f****** socks off. 6 weeks? If I stay sober, that's enough time for me to lose a few pounds, get my blood pressure in check, and have a better mental outlook. I look forward to building a working relationship with this medical team, and I want to impress the **** out of them at my 6 week turnaround. Alcohol will only RUIN that goal.

72 hours sober, and fully intending to stay that way. Good luck all, and thanks for listening.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post, very positive.

Welcome to SR, which has for me been an absolute lifeline.

I wish you all the best on your journey of recovery and hope to see you around the forum
Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great, and your post is full of hope. I love that!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back, Matt!

Congratulations on three days! What is the method you have settled on this time?

Your post reminds me of my attitude when I quit--143 days ago!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you!

In six weeks you will look different and feel different.
How fantastic to have a supportive doctor and nurse, I am happy for you!
Make sure you eat lots of good food and drink plenty of water so you are bright eyed and bushy tailed!

Take care
xxxx
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for kind words!

@Coldfusion - I meant the whole concept of impressing the doctors as a sobriety method. To force myself to realize how disappointed they would be if I relapse within 6 weeks. But I also plan to get into a meeting soon, if not AA then something that will work for me.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Vastreaction, don't be a stranger around these parts--let us know how your recovery is going.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Going strong, just over 3 days in! (81 hours :P)

I still have the insomnia, but the meds the doctor gave me have reduced the related anxiety to a totally manageable level. He cleared me for a little time off work, so I'm not overly concerned about the insomnia. I know that I will get a solid amount of sleep eventually, and it be be utterly FANTASTIC.

Thanks for the interest, this site is really keeping me going. I'm much more active than I was at my initial sobriety / vicious relapse back in 2011. I only made a few brief posts and then took a flying LEAP off the wagon. Glad I climbed back on.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you came back and are giving it another go.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vastreaction View Post
Here's the thing: I'm gonna knock their f****** socks off. 6 weeks? If I stay sober, that's enough time for me to lose a few pounds, get my blood pressure in check, and have a better mental outlook. I look forward to building a working relationship with this medical team, and I want to impress the **** out of them at my 6 week turnaround. Alcohol will only RUIN that goal.

72 hours sober, and fully intending to stay that way. Good luck all, and thanks for listening.
Go for it. It is really worth it from physical and mental point of view.

I was a few mths dry and got some great compliments. Lost a lot of weight. Hair, skin, eyes all chnged for the better. Waking up with the "sweats"...thats gone too.

At about 5 months one person at work stopped me on the corridor just to say 'you look amazing, really good'....it really swelled my ego. She is about 20 years younger than me. It made me think how alcohol beats you up and changes you so much ( we cannot see it but other people do)

Since I stopped I have really started to look after myself physically and mentally.