Notices

24 hours down and feel like hell...

Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24 hours down and feel like hell...

Hi everyone- you may have read some of my drunk cries for help this week. You, my hubby, my sisters, some friends and some lovely strangers from aa... So I have just made 24hrs, I feel awful- it's 4am and have not slept at all. Anxious, heart pounding, fearing major panic attacks (I get them anyway), been crying on the phone half the night to my husband who is away with work. I'm a mess. My google sessions before stopping keep haunting the recesses of my mind; and in my sleep deprived, anxious state I keep thinking; could I die from this? I really have lost all desire to drink. Beyond belief. I am just praying I can get through these awful sensations in one piece. If anyone has any uplifting words I may find solace in; I would be very grateful xxx
Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

COngrats on your 24 hours

The first few days are rough but it really does get better. I drank water and sports drinks plus soups and hung around SR Maybe see your doc too.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi and well done on 24 hours. I suffer from anxiety too, but its alot better since I gave up alcohol, I hope you feel better soon... you will find that after a few days things will even themselves out. Still best to see your doctor even if its about your anxiety... best thing I ever did
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks RAL... Good advice and just nice to know someone is out there that understands. It's a Saturday here so my usual dr not working but may see if somewhere nearby is open. Feeling pretty wired, desperately want to sleep but can't seem to switch off.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Zee- I do take Effexor at a low dose, recently started, and anxiety was what made problem drinking so easy (seemed like a good idea at the time until I hit a bottle of wine a night) and yet I also know it's what inspired me to stop.
I will try to see someone today
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First day is very hard but you can do this. Welcome and just know we are all here for the same reason and all want you to be well. Good luck getting some rest. Even if you don't sleep, try taking deep breaths and try to stay calm.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first few days can be rough going but with time it gets better. Whatever you do, don't drink!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I bet if you read a book they do have the Big Book on line for AA, that will make you sleep...LOL No serious..it does get better. I don't sleep much, but I still have energy to do things and keeping busy instead of just hanging out passes the time. 24hrs good for you. Australia? awesome been there once in Alice Springs
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are doing awesome!!! This is my day 1 and all I keep thinking about is how I want to drink but I keep reminding myself how much better sober feels then drunk! I used to drink to calm my anxiety but I found once I was completly sober I didnt have anxiety at all and the alcohol is what was causing it. The day after drinking alot I would get the worst panic attacks....so I would drink more to calm them. Now after just one day of not drinking I feel great and not anxious. If you are worried about withdraws maybe you should call a dr so they can monitor you maybe give you some meds??
Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It gets better. I remember many times when I got sober and then after a week or so thought, "it really wasn't that bad, maybe if I only do x differently, I can drink." Then I was back to starting the cycle again.

Stick around SR, this place can really help.