Notices

today is my day 2

Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up today is my day 2

With this site I am feeling more hopeful that I can do this then I ever have. Today is my second day being sober. This is the first time I can say that in 6 months. Felt really yucky last night and had trouble falling asleep. This morning is a little better with the exception of a massive headache Yet I am so proud of myself that I am really doing this. I know that it will get worse before it gets better. I know alot might not agree but I can't seem to let go of the 12 pack sitting in the hall right yet. It motivates me. Everytime I walk by it, I get angry with it, and what I let it do to me.
I talked to my husband last night and he let me vent. He never seemed to have any real problem with my drinking only saying on the occasion he wished I would cut down and worried about the financial part of it.After our conversation he actually expressed that he was glad I'm cutting alcohol out completley, and that when I had told him the night before that I was gona quit he didn't believe me. (I've said it many many many times before.)
I have my appt with my therapist today, and I am not gona fabricate anything this time. I am going to tell the truth
I will also be telling my mom and dad who have been telling me for months that I need to quit drinking. I know they probably won't believe me either but just as I will prove I can do this to myself, I can prove it to them that I mean it this time also. As off as I feel, it's really weird to have this sort of peace that comes with the certainty of knowing I'm done. That even though my AV wants one, I don't. Wondering if anyone has experianced that?
Sorry for rambling... seems like I have a million thoughts going on in my head right now.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey! I'm glad you made it to day 2. This is my day 1. I also told my partner this morning it was my day 1 of being sober and he didn't believe me either. We will just have to prove them wrong now won't we?!? I've learned it does me no good to talk about it I just have to BE about it!! I also have alcohol in my house still bc my boyfriend drinks it...he doesnt have a problem like I do with it and he has told me he isn't going to stop. I accept that and I know I have to do this for ME! but anyways congratulations on day 2...each day it has to get easier!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and every day will get better and better
Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats! I am on my Day 2 as well, and it seems like the weekend might bring up a bit of trouble for me. With the help of this board and some perseverance, we can both make it through. Best of luck and congrats on making it this far, and believing in yourself even if others doubt you.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on making it to day number two.

Originally Posted by rhpudgey3 View Post
...but I can't seem to let go of the 12 pack sitting in the hall right yet. It motivates me. Everytime I walk by it, I get angry with it, and what I let it do to me.
You might give serious thought to getting rid of the twelve pack. It might have worked for getting through one night. Don't count on it working as a recovery method.

If I was hanging on to alcohol, it would be because I planned to drink it at sometime in the future. When your mind starts telling you, "You don't really have a problem with alcohol," you aren't going to want that beer so handy.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With this site I am feeling more hopeful that I can do this then I ever have. Today is my second day being sober. This is the first time I can say that in 6 months. Felt really yucky last night and had trouble falling asleep. This morning is a little better with the exception of a massive headache Yet I am so proud of myself that I am really doing this. I know that it will get worse before it gets better. I know alot might not agree but I can't seem to let go of the 12 pack sitting in the hall right yet. It motivates me. Everytime I walk by it, I get angry with it, and what I let it do to me..
I did that same sort of thing awhile back. The funny(sad?) part is I'd buy a bottle of liquor and stare at my "I'm angry at liquor and won't touch this bottle" bottle and get hammered and think I was fine because I didn't break into my angry bottle.
Eventually I buzzed and couldn't drive into town, but wasn't done drinking, and drank the bottle...

actually this sort of thing happened quite a few times, before I decided to just quit having liquor around that wasn't intended to be drunk. I'm only on day 4 of sobriety, so I am by no means any sort of authority on whether or not you should keep it around, but It never worked for me.

If the idea of wasting money by dumping it out is too much to bare (often my reason) give it to a neighbor or a friend etc.

Good luck and hang in there, Day 2 to Day 3 is really tough, but it can definately be done.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
I did that same sort of thing awhile back. The funny(sad?) part is I'd buy a bottle of liquor and stare at my "I'm angry at liquor and won't touch this bottle" bottle and get hammered and think I was fine because I didn't break into my angry bottle.
Eventually I buzzed and couldn't drive into town, but wasn't done drinking, and drank the bottle...

actually this sort of thing happened quite a few times, before I decided to just quit having liquor around that wasn't intended to be drunk. I'm only on day 4 of sobriety, so I am by no means any sort of authority on whether or not you should keep it around, but It never worked for me.

If the idea of wasting money by dumping it out is too much to bare (often my reason) give it to a neighbor or a friend etc.

Good luck and hang in there, Day 2 to Day 3 is really tough, but it can definately be done.
I actually thought about giving
It to someone else, and maybe that is a good idea... I'm having a rough time this afternoon. Not sick just a headache still and emotional, but the craving is really getting to me this afternoon. I know I can make it through but dang it's tough.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really hope your husband and family start showing more support. you are going to need someone strong to help you. it will be much more difficult if they are skeptical. Hopefully as time goes by they will have faith in you and your decision. Come here for that strong support you need for the moment.

I kind of understand the idea of angry booze sitting around. I have the last bottle I drank still sitting on my dining room table where I polished it off. I thought about tossing it in the recycling bin yesterday, but could not bring myself to do that just yet. I personally am only on day 3. Still going strong, but I know it will get hard. Being sober it would be easy to give into my addict brain and drive up to the store. Having that bottle is a visual of what I do not want to do. I also understand to the point that my BIL lives in my basement. He has a full bottle of apple vodka and two small bottles of California red wine sitting on his shelf collecting dust. I am not a thief and have no intention of taking it, but I do know it is there. Thankfully it is not something I see often. Out of sight, out of mind (crossing fingers- I haven't told him I quit, but may ask him to remove or hide them. Don't want to do that because I don't want him to think I would violate his privacy for my addiction-because I won't, I would rather drive to the store. and knowing it's there will hopefully teach me restraint. I acknowledge that I cannot hide from alcohol forever and am working on training myself to say no)

For me, it is easier at first. Last time I went two weeks before I caved. If you feel the urge is too strong, ask your husband to remove the beer. Dig through your recycling or trash and take out an empty can to be mad at. The beer sitting in the full can has done nothing wrong, it is the empty can, that fueled your addiction, that you should be mad at. The empty one left you feeling hopeless and dependent. I would advise you get rid of the 12 pack. It will be easier not to cave if it is not easily accessible.

Best Wishes rhpudgey!!! We are all pulling for you!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I actually thought about giving
It to someone else, and maybe that is a good idea... I'm having a rough time this afternoon. Not sick just a headache still and emotional, but the craving is really getting to me this afternoon. I know I can make it through but dang it's tough.
Hang in there and keep posting here, keep yourself busy to try and keep your mind off the craving. Read, go for a walk, clean/orginize the house, whatever it takes.

I kept about half a twelve pack around my house for the first couple weeks when I quit as an "emergency" resource if I started having really bad withdrawal, etc.. I even had it in my car during the day in case i had a probelm at work, totally irrational but then again nothing about alcohlolism is! It probably wasn't the smartest idea but i didn't drink any of it and ended up dumping it in the dumpster at work after about 3 weeks - kind of felt symbolic to finally pitch it in the trash.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I saw my therapist and told the truth. It kinda felt good to tell the truth. He gave me something to help me sleep if I start having issues and put me back on my anti depressants and ordered labs. That part kinda sucked but better safe then sorry I guess.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

just joined this site and hour ago & trying to get through my first day ALL OVER AGAIN...as i threw out my 3 empty coors light 12 packs (i really needed the 18 pack but would buy the 12's just fooling myself...i said out loud "goodbye poison, i hope to never see you in my house again"...popped a xanax (that has helped me in the past for initial withdrawals and found this site...hoping to connect with others like myself
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

also, had a talk with my daughter (18) about quitting & i know she was thinking "oh right, i've heard that before" but instead, she just asked why? i told her i was much happier and peaceful when i don't drink...will start my zoloft after a clean week of no beer and i feel good right now at this moment...i will not be sharing this attempt with anyone other than my partner later this evening and eventually those around me will just notice the difference...
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by insocal View Post
also, had a talk with my daughter (18) about quitting & i know she was thinking "oh right, i've heard that before" but instead, she just asked why? i told her i was much happier and peaceful when i don't drink...will start my zoloft after a clean week of no beer and i feel good right now at this moment...i will not be sharing this attempt with anyone other than my partner later this evening and eventually those around me will just notice the difference...
this sounds like my life right now exactly.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

this sounds like my life right now exactly.
I've lurked on this forum periodically for the last year and always thought how interesting it was that so many of the stories sound just like mine.