Notices

Well, I went

Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, I went

Hey everyone,
I went to my first AA meeting in over 29 years. I was really nervous. I was much more nervous this time. Last time, I went with a friend. This time, I went by myself. Kind of proud of myself for that! I didn't say anything. I just listened. There were a lot of people there. I felt self-conscious. Reality was, they weren't paying any attention to me. I'm thinking I'll go back next Thursday or maybe attend a few in the middle of the week. We'll see.
Mama2Many
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Good for you Ma. Just wait till you tell um you're new. Then the good times are gonna roll.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you had a good experience at the meeting.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mama2Many,

I'm attending my first ever AA meeting on Saturday and I am absolutely petrified, reading your post made me feel a little bit better about it. Like you, I'm just going to sit and listen and see what happens, as it's all very new to me.

Glad your meeting went well!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to my first one last night! I was SO nervous I must have looked like I had bad withdrawals as was shaking so much! But it was amazing. I am so glad I did not walk straight passed the door which I very nearly did.
Everyone was incredibly welcoming and although I didn't speak hearing people's stories was a revelation.
It was like, Oh, I'm not just a crazy freak who says and does mad things and gets more drunk than everyone else! I'm actually an alcoholic! (I haven't said that out loud yet but I think I will at the next meeting)
Its always nice to sit in a room full of people that you identify with....even when it is an AA meeting!
Of course everyone's experience with alcohol was different and some more 'extreme' than others but I can honestly say that I could identify with something that everyone said, I had felt that shame and misery and next day DREAD that they had....and the other utterly binding thing we all had in common was that we ALL wanted to STOP doing it to ourselves...we never wanted to feel like that again. I found it uplifting and I'm going again Saturday (I'm a binge drinker so weekends are the tricky times for me)
One thing I would say though is, today I am feeling a bit teary and shell shocked. The last 12 years make a hell of a lot more sense to me and overall I am feeling positive but sad too....Go for it guys it is going to be worth it x x x
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flicker31 View Post
I went to my first one last night! I was SO nervous I must have looked like I had bad withdrawals as was shaking so much! But it was amazing. I am so glad I did not walk straight passed the door which I very nearly did.
Everyone was incredibly welcoming and although I didn't speak hearing people's stories was a revelation.
It was like, Oh, I'm not just a crazy freak who says and does mad things and gets more drunk than everyone else! I'm actually an alcoholic! (I haven't said that out loud yet but I think I will at the next meeting)
Its always nice to sit in a room full of people that you identify with....even when it is an AA meeting!
Of course everyone's experience with alcohol was different and some more 'extreme' than others but I can honestly say that I could identify with something that everyone said, I had felt that shame and misery and next day DREAD that they had....and the other utterly binding thing we all had in common was that we ALL wanted to STOP doing it to ourselves...we never wanted to feel like that again. I found it uplifting and I'm going again Saturday (I'm a binge drinker so weekends are the tricky times for me)
One thing I would say though is, today I am feeling a bit teary and shell shocked. The last 12 years make a hell of a lot more sense to me and overall I am feeling positive but sad too....Go for it guys it is going to be worth it x x x
Thanks so much for sharing your experience Flicker, that's give me a big kick and motivation to go. I'm going to try my utmost to make it to the meeting and get myself over that threshold!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just get in there. Freedom is in that room.

and remember, you may think everyone is thinking about you and they arent, they are too busy thinking about themselves, lol
Old 03-22-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Hi Mama2Many,

I'm attending my first ever AA meeting on Saturday and I am absolutely petrified, reading your post made me feel a little bit better about it. Like you, I'm just going to sit and listen and see what happens, as it's all very new to me.

Glad your meeting went well!
Panache, You will be ok. Those people have been where you are and at one time it was all very new to them too. Thank you for your post and for reading mine.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Good for you Ma. Just wait till you tell um you're new. Then the good times are gonna roll.
awuh1, I would have last night but I was a bit late for that part. Next time, maybe.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flicker31 View Post
I am glad you went, Flicker. It is nerve wracking. It sounds like you had a very positive experience. That is very encouraging to hear. It gives you motive to go back again. Good for you! It was very brave of you and showed a lot of courage and strength.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
just get in there. Freedom is in that room.

and remember, you may think everyone is thinking about you and they arent, they are too busy thinking about themselves, lol
Freedom is something that is difficult for me to visualize, right now, much less embrace. I find it to be a bit intimidating and a lot frightening. I don't know what it's like to be "healthy" and it scares me if that makes any sense at all. But, I guess I'll find out, huh?
I used to tell my daughter, when she would say the whole school would know something about her, exactly what you said. They weren't worried about her, they were too busy thinking about themselves. I got the rolling eyes over that one. lol!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great to hear positive experiences about meetings. It can be intimidating no doubt. Sometimes it is good to just listen until you feel comfortable. Listening and reflecting is a good thing , and trust me when I say the people in those meetings have been through what we have....some more , some less but they get it.

And yes..everyone feels self conscious at first like they are all thinking about me but someone said it..not really to much thinking about you more thinking about themselves hee.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had a good experience at the meeting.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So happy for you.. Progress not prefection! Keep going back! Check out different meetings in your area... Be honest with yourself! I wasn't.. I can't drink like a normal person, the stuff is serious and will kill you.. I choose life.. Whiskyman mentioned "Freedom" I want to be free from this insanity.. Wishing you the best.. I'm glad I'm part of the fellowship.. I have a long road in front of me but knowing I'm not alone in this journey is very powerful to me!