Notices

I'm lost

Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I'm lost

Hey guys, i decided to post here because im desperate and down. I have 5 months clean from an opiate and alcohol addiction. and this past week i feel as if i will relapse any moment now. i have the means to, and im scared. ive been driving new comers to meetings, taking commitments, calling my sponsor etc, but i just cant shake this feeling that i want to get out of myself. I was wondering what any of you guys did when you felt like nothing could make you feel better but drugs. i would apreciate it soo much. thank you.

Mere
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello. I think that posting here is very smart. These are the moments when we need help the most. How about a jog? Exercise? Hot cup of tea? Staying on this site is very helpful. Talking it out. DO you have a lot of stress right now in your life?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a very similar feeling at about the 2 month mark. And it lasted for about 2 weeks. But I held fast to my recovery program and just kept talking about it in meetings, with my sponser and here. It WILL pass. My sponser said, "If it didn't get easier do you think I'd still be sober?" She has 8 years. Exercise helps with cravings a lot. I have found that even a nice leisurely walk will do. You said you want to get out of yourself. To me it sounds like growth because you are uncomfortable. Try to figure out what area you are growing in and even if you can't just ride the wave and know that things will change. Nothing is permanent, good or bad!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have no experience with opiates, but i have been staying abstinent from alcohol (only for two days) by trying to think about the aftermath of my drinking. Withdrawals, the embarrassment of what i may have said/done on my blacked out binge, the guilt from all the lies I'll have to tell whiIe recover.
Thinking of that misery makes me less inclined to go grab that first drink. I wish you good luck and hope you can stay sober!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! I know I had to cling to every bit of support when those feelings came up, including spending a LOT of time on SR. I also had to remind myself of why I quit using, and am lucky to remember my relapse and how really bad it was.

I can also tell you that, at over 6 years in recovery, I've NEVER regretted getting clean. Did I struggle? Yes. However, getting through the struggles and not using just made me stronger and today...when life seems to turn upside down, all I can think of is reaching out for SR and others who are supportive of my recovery. Using just isn't an option and hasn't been for quite a while

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by meremeow View Post
Hey guys, i decided to post here because im desperate and down. I have 5 months clean from an opiate and alcohol addiction. and this past week i feel as if i will relapse any moment now.
Mere
Hi Mere, I need you right now! So tell me how you did it. How did you stay clean? What would you suggest, I could use your support. There are some other people in here just starting out, could you tell us how you managed to stay sober 5 months? If you go back out who's gonna help me? You have something many of us want.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome meremeow

I think everyone struggles at some point - it's your addiction telling you that only drugs will make you feel better.

You and I both know thats nothing but a lie.

I'm glad you're reaching out

I think support's very important - especially when we feel vulnerable - and you'll find a lot of that here

D
Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks soo much guys! it's nice knowing that people are here to listen. i stayed sober by remembering everything i had went through, and i'm only 18 so i know it will get worse if i keep using. thanks so so so much!!