Notices

8 months down... What now!?!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 months down... What now!?!

Today I am a little over 8 months sober. I have drank alcohol for the first 11 years of adulthood regularly and heavily. I wish I had signed up for this earlier, however, I am here now. I first would like to say, wow, I have made it 8 months sober!!!! I do have an amazing support system and boyfriend all rolled into one, he will be celebrating his 2nd year sober anniversary with me over Shirley Temples tomorrow night. One of the biggest parts of this sobriety thing is what to expect around the next corner. I feel from what I have researched during these last 8 months, there is no one place that you can go to that breaks down the big phisical and emotional barriers that are happen... It would have been nice to have a heads up on the rank body odor I would be sporting for about 2 months... Or when I might want to expect an emotional roller coaster, what vitamins I need to take, etc. I know that it is part of the journey to learn this stuff, but somedays I wonder if earth is my correct destination, or did the cosmos have a mix up somewhere. I get frustrated that I clam up in social situations, I feel like my maturity level is behind where it needs to be because I drank for so long. I don't know why I sleep so much still, I can sleep 12 hrs a day everyday. I just don't know what normal is and it is scary and frustrating. What the hell happened? I just want to be ok.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Once we stop drinking we have to learn and grow. We have catching up to do and need to learn to understand our emotions. It's life.

I found the first six months very raw. I am now 22 months. It all still feels fresh but nowhere near as raw, and I can relax and go with the flow without stressing.

SR is my only support and it works for me.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 months! I can only hope I make it there myself. I hope you are proud of all you have learned these months - they are an indication of what you're going to learn in the future! You've got the benefit of having opened your eyes and seeing life through sober eyes and for that I commend you!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just keep doing what you do and live your life.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I get frustrated that I clam up in social situations, I feel like my maturity level is behind where it needs to be because I drank for so long. I don't know why I sleep so much still, I can sleep 12 hrs a day everyday. I just don't know what normal is and it is scary and frustrating.
I think sober people also feel these things , you sound perfectly normal to me maybe see the DR if you feel the sleeping or anxiety is too much .

I'm 18 months and sleep comes and goes , those other things i just accept... i'm in the right place for me, here today... compairing my insides to other peoples outsides isn't useful to my mental health ..

Kinda puts me in mind of the serenity prayer where it says "accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. "

Welcome to SR , 8 months

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go 8 months! Awesome.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You are fantastic! 8 months is fabulous, congrats!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to feeling emotionally stunted. I blew tons of money away on alcohol and partying expensively and have had to rely on my parents for a lot. I feel like I have to really exert a lot of energy in certain social situations, I'm not sure if its from relying on alcohol to help me chill out, or if its my nature and I have to just work on becoming more comfortable and outgoing in general. Either way, getting drunk isn't helping out my case. I can't be drunk 24/7 and its not the real me. I guess the more we put ourselves in uncomfortable situations, the more we'll become accustomed to them.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 8 months sober.

It is hard to get used to living without alcohol, but it sounds like you're doing well.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Karissaleigh View Post
I get frustrated that I clam up in social situations, I feel like my maturity level is behind where it needs to be because I drank for so long. I don't know why I sleep so much still, I can sleep 12 hrs a day everyday. I just don't know what normal is and it is scary and frustrating. What the hell happened? I just want to be ok.
Congrats on 8 months, that is fantastic!

I drank because I was painfully shy, I feel silly in most social situations, but I think over time that just takes care of itself.

Sleeping, oh boy, I use to live on so little sleep but now that's all I crave!

As others have said here and in other post, 8 months seems like a long time, but I know from my experience (5 months), I expect to be in a better place physically, mentally and emotionally the longer I am sober.

Hang in there, you are doing great, hope you and your BF have a great time celebrating!

Toss
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow! I have never been a part of an online community, or a recovery community, and it kinda blows my mind that there are so many people with so many words of encouragement! Thank you all and will keep posting!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Karissa, did you ever see the film, The Shawshank Redemption? There's a great quote from Morgan Freeman in the film "Get busy living or get busy dying". Well get busy "living! First of all pat yourself on the back every chance you get--you've been sober for 8 months. Take pride in that; take a few moments each day to really think about it and let it soak in.

Now figure out what you're passionate about and dive in. I'm sure there is something that interests you? Identify it and make it a part of you life. You'll figure it out, but it may take a little effort.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Congrats on sober time...just relax on the other stuff coz its all fluf! Remember the slogan that says easy does it; Celebrate how far u've come rather than be discouraged with how far u have to go
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months. I worry too about adjusting socially. Have you noticed any improvement as time goes by (with your thoughts of anxiety)? How about your bf? Is he social and able to help you adjust/catch up?

I also believe that people are too self critical. There are many people who are socially awkward who have never drank. People are people. Just do your best to surround yourself with non-judgmental people and don't over analyze your reactions. I hope that makes sense. I know what I am trying to say but am having trouble putting it to words. I will clarify if needed.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Can't add much, but if it's any consolation you are not alone! It's all a part of the journey and you will learn something from all of these uncomfortable feelings, one day you will look back and understand and be able to give others hope, God Bless!