Notices

Day one.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Day one.

I am a 25 year old, female alcoholic. My mother, my father, grandparents and many other relatives.. are all high-functioning alcoholics. I started drinking at 16 and immediately loved it. It was liberating and fun, and to this day is the easiest numbing agent I know of. I don't blame anyone else for my addiction - I wanted to end up here and I did. I am trying to change my perspective and want to change my life. Ive lost friends and family, and am losing my education and financial stability as it is. Today is day one and I never want to feel this way again. I hope for only pride after today and no more shame. If anyone has any words of wisdom about how to change your perspective, or anything really I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Toeachtheirown,

I too am a 25 year old female in the exact same position. my parents are functioning alcoholics and it's so hard living in a household were everything revolves around drink.
All I can suggest is stick close to the board, post your frustrations, how you feel and what you're going through, there will be at least one person who is going/has been through what you're experiencing - myself included.

Just posting this message is a positive step in the right direction.

Hope to see you around the board and the best of luck for your journey, we're all here for you.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Today is day one and I never want to feel this way again.
The good news is you never have to feel that way again if you don't want to

Welcome to SR ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. You are so wise to be confronting this at such a young age.

Not that it's limited to you young folks, but it seems the biggest hurdle 20-somethings face is the idea that you will never, ever have fun again if you don't have alcohol in your life. So change your perspective to accept that you will never drink and that it doesn't mean you are being committed to a lifetime of boring existence.

What might help is write down all the horrible things that you've done or have happened to you while drinking. Then, when you are feeling wistful about alcohol, look at you list and ask yourself...just what exactly am I missing?

The answer is "the alcohol." We miss it at a cellular level. We are addicted to the alcohol, not the fun we think we are missing.

You mind will seek a way to convince you to drink. Be strong. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR. You are so wise to be confronting this at such a young age.

Not that it's limited to you young folks, but it seems the biggest hurdle 20-somethings face is the idea that you will never, ever have fun again if you don't have alcohol in your life. So change your perspective to accept that you will never drink and that it doesn't mean you are being committed to a lifetime of boring existence.

What might help is write down all the horrible things that your done or have happened to you while drinking. Then, when you are feeling wistful about alcohol, look at you list and ask yourself...just what exactly am I missing?

The answer is "the alcohol." We miss it at a cellular level. We are addicted to the alcohol, not the fun we think we are missing.

You mind will seek a way to convince you to drink. Be strong. Good luck.
Thank you doggonecarl for this post, it gave me more optimism that I'm doing the right thing at this age. It's hard to break away when my entire set of friends' social life revolves around drinking. When people post on Facebook about being hungover and having a great night out, I know that can never be me as I won't have a great night, I'll have a horrendous time (which I won't remember but everyone else will)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today is my day one too! God luck to you Miss. I'm 34 and wish I had quit years ago. I wasn't such a heavy drinker back then (more of a pothead), but I think of the damage I've done to my body the past few years and it's terrifying.

Let's do this together. You have the rest of your life in front of you.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im a 28 year old female and this is my day 1. Well tomorrow will be as I took a couple shots this morning. But I have realized my life is not good when alcohol is involved. I dont drink like "normal" people. I drink until I blackout. I woke up this morning single bc my BF and I apparently had a bad fight and I dont remember any of it. It's a terrible feeling. I to am trying to figure out how I will do things that I used to do with a buzz from alcohol. I am going to stay close to this website it helps!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Reading the support I received here in only a half hour brought tears to my eyes. I feel so much less alone and already, more confident that not only can I do this but it is the absolute right thing to do.

I'm so happy to be a part of this place and look forward to supporting and meeting some new friends. Thank you all for your welcoming and support. You have truly warmed my heart.

Panache, thank you for your wise and wonderful words. I agree with you and doggonecarl that life is surely full of joy without alcohol, but I see the acceptance of that fact and that life as hard and alien. I don't know many young people who don't drink, although my younger sister avoids it and is an avid attendee of al-anon. I have gone to a few of these meetings with her and although being a member isn't for me, it really puts into perspective the amount of carnage one persons addiction can leave behind. I hope for love, friendship and family - in the best way possible. And I think a life without alcohol leads there for me.. Now it's just finding my strength and my way there I guess.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the boards, Toeachisown. I think it's great you are thinking about quitting at 25. Although I started drinking at 15, age 25 is right around the time I had probably turned into a full-fleged alcoholic. If only I had quit then. I would be more successful, have alot more money, and have better relationships. Looking back when I was 25, while I realize now I had a problem then, I didn't drink as much as I did now. It gets progressively worse. You can save yourself a lot of regret and heartache by quitting now.

I always thought everyone drank like me, because I always hung out with people who drank like me. But I think most "normal" people don't drink like me. Most people go out and have a few drinks, and then quit. I could never do that. Once I started, it was off to the races until I was stumbling home. Or if I was already home, until I was drunk and fell asleep.

It's a tough decision, but I hope you make the right one. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toeachtheirown View Post
Reading the support I received here in only a half hour brought tears to my eyes. I feel so much less alone and already, more confident that not only can I do this but it is the absolute right thing to do.

I'm so happy to be a part of this place and look forward to supporting and meeting some new friends. Thank you all for your welcoming and support. You have truly warmed my heart.

Panache, thank you for your wise and wonderful words. I agree with you and doggonecarl that life is surely full of joy without alcohol, but I see the acceptance of that fact and that life as hard and alien. I don't know many young people who don't drink, although my younger sister avoids it and is an avid attendee of al-anon. I have gone to a few of these meetings with her and although being a member isn't for me, it really puts into perspective the amount of carnage one persons addiction can leave behind. I hope for love, friendship and family - in the best way possible. And I think a life without alcohol leads there for me.. Now it's just finding my strength and my way there I guess.
I know in my heart that life without alcohol is an amazing thing, but my mind will not let that happen at this present. Even just walking the dog then thinking about the future I thought, how will I occupy my evenings? How can going on holiday and not drinking be enjoyable? (I'm sure at a later date someone can clarify that for me).

I too can't imagine a life without alcohol, but as long as I am on this board and people with milestone sobriety are telling me it's possible I will fight to change my own life for the better. I'm attending my first AA meeting Saturday, I have no preconceptions so I'm going with an open mind.

I too hope for love, friendship and family and I know drinking will not bring me that, being an alcoholic is not an endearing quality in a person - I/we all should know.

Keep in touch eachtotheirown. I am joining the March class thread tomorrow, perhaps join with me and we can chart our progress together? The best of luck with your journey.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
I always thought everyone drank like me, because I always hung out with people who drank like me. But I think most "normal" people don't drink like me. Most people go out and have a few drinks, and then quit. I could never do that.
I had to come up with a model for what a "Normal" person was. I picked my sister.

Years ago I remember telling her, "I wish I could drink like you."

She said, "But I don't drink."

And I told her, "That's what I mean."

So whenever I get into a situation that makes me want to drink, I ask myself, "What would a normal person do?"

It's my sister I'm thinking of.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done, I started sobriety at 49, and although already having a good life once the withdrawal and re adjustments made life for me is fantastic without drink. Once you get rid of the hype we all believe it's plain sailing gaining freedom money freedom respect freedom and so much less pain.
Keep on people talk of the boredom once withdrawal finishes but push on through and start looking for the good things that are just happening , it's great.
Love John.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Well done, I started sobriety at 49, and although already having a good life once the withdrawal and re adjustments made life for me is fantastic without drink. Once you get rid of the hype we all believe it's plain sailing gaining freedom money freedom respect freedom and so much less pain.
Keep on people talk of the boredom once withdrawal finishes but push on through and start looking for the good things that are just happening , it's great.
Love John.
Thank you.

This gives me so much hope and so much to look forward to. I like everyone here just want a happy life.. And it sounds like letting go of alcohol offers the best path to that.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Panache I know exactly what you mean! I was planning a trip down south with some girl friends but what is the point of an all inclusive if I can't enjoy a cocktail!? Certainly this is going to be quite the struggle and adjustment, but the support and wise care that is on these forums have made me pretty sure that this is the right path, for both of us!

I'd love to join tomorrow and work on this with you!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome. Join one of the women's support groups. I'm pretty sure they have one on this site. Great that you started so early. Much of my military career I drank but not that much. After years I was stressed with work and other things. Drinking more and them one day I decided to stop. Much better life. I wake up cleared headed and get work done at work. I enjoy the other things in life instead of looking forwarded to grabbing drinks and wasting my money on hangover lol. Good luck to you and keep us posted
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toeachtheirown View Post
Panache I know exactly what you mean! I was planning a trip down south with some girl friends but what is the point of an all inclusive if I can't enjoy a cocktail!? Certainly this is going to be quite the struggle and adjustment, but the support and wise care that is on these forums have made me pretty sure that this is the right path, for both of us!

I'd love to join tomorrow and work on this with you!
Exactly toeachtheirown this is our new start and we WILL do this with the support of the board. Join the "class of March" thread with me and keep in touch, whatever you're going through I am too and we can beat this demon together. Stay in touch.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Where do I find this 'Class of March' thread and how does it work? haha
Im such a noob on this site!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Class of march is in this section and what I've come to believe, is people who are abstaining for good and using march as their milestone. They call themselves "the marchers". I will definitely be joining tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day one is a beautiful day (even though you may feel like crap) Day two is even better. This is the best day 2 I have experienced (and I've had a handful of them). This site has given me so much confidence and giving me the feeling that I am worth something. Stick with us here and build yourself up. We are all understanding of the powerful grip of addiction. You are not alone and there is no reason to feel anymore shame. Best Wishes
Old 03-21-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Toeach! We're so happy you've joined us - you're never alone with this.

Congratulations for looking at what drinking is doing to your life. I continued struggling for many years - always trying to use willpower to control it. It all caught up with me in my 50's. I destroyed relationships, finances, health. In the end, there was no fun in it - just misery and a hollow feeling. This won't happen to you. Good job on coming here and looking for help - you'll never regret it.