Notices

So Scared

Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congrats on your awesome decision last night!!! Very encouraging and prayers out to you for a great day focused on just today. Awesome really
Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There is a song by Sevendust called "Shine" and a part of the lyrics say:

I feel like I'm in a blocked state of mind
Am I getting through

I'm on a free fall

So hard
Hard for me to shine
Been so long

The words "hard for me to shine, been so long" nails it for me. I have to learn to confront everyday life sober, remember that I control my actions and path, not some substance.

Great job, won't be your last struggle, but it can and does get better.

Toss
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Glad that worked for you Charlie but it would have been terrible advice to give me when I was struggling.

I don't believe in testing my resolve. My resolve got all the testing it needed without my creating more.

If I've made a commitment to be alcohol free I don't need a bottle around to remind me of that resolve.

I know myself, and I'm not casting aspersions on you here because I realise there are differing schools of thought, but if I'd kept a bottle around, it might have really meant that a part of me was not ready to let alcohol 'go'.

Newhope - maybe it's time to look for a little '3d' help?
D
Dee, I think if you re-read my post you will find that I did not advise the OP to keep the bottle. There were many options open to myself when I was in the OP's position; keeping the bottle is what I did.

The sad reality of the world we live in is that alcohol is legal and it is sold and served everywhere. Unlike cocaine or heroin, someone in recovery from alcohol cannot avoid close contact with alcohol for the rest of their life.

An added difficulty with being a recovering alcoholic is that alcohol is so frequently put right in your face. One must learn to deal with this, or 2 for 1 margarita night at your favorite Mexican restaurant will always be a disaster. At one point or another, willpower will need to prevail.

I am working a strong program in outpatient treatment and AA. I was more than ready to let alcohol go. Good riddance. Like I said, that bottle is a symbol of my recovery to me now. Whether the bottle is in a cabinet in my kitchen or down the block on the shelf at the liquor store, ultimately makes no difference if my mind is made up to drink.

Congratulations newhope01 for making it through!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a real difference between alcohol being everywhere, and alcohol being in my home though.

To go out and get it involves a million opportunities to change my mind...having it there in my house might involve only one split second yes/no decision.

Guess we'll have to disagree on this one Charlie.

D