Notices

Hi from a new guy

Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi from a new guy

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and happy to be alcohol free for 3 days. I've had issues quitting before, but I'm thankful I've made an effort to try again. As an introverted guy I don't usually open up on online communities like this but I'm hoping to change that. Although this is my first post, I've been viewing for the past few days and have found that to be helpful in its own way. So thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Bean!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on three days sober!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, BeanSkillet! This is a great place. I was very shy about opening up at first, but now I couldn't imagine not coming here every day. I think you'll find it very helpful and encouraging. You're not alone anymore.

Congratulations on Day 3. You never have to go back to the madness. I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Beanskillet,

This is a great place to get sober . reading and posting on SR is part of my daily routine, it helps me to maintain my primary purpose, to remain sober, one of the tools I use to achieve sobriety.

Do you have a plan or other support to maintain your sobriety?

CaiHong
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to quite possibly the greatest forum in the world....ever! You'll find amazing support, understanding and great people who have a wealth of experience. Like you I am so grateful that when I have insanely returned to alcohol I have found/been given the strength to try again. It's only 4 days since I climbed back onboard, and yet this forum has made the process easier. First thing in the morning I log on and touch base so to speak. And, like you, for a guy who historically keeps his cards close to his chest, I did not think I would become so active, so quickly. Something snapped this time though and I never want to go back to the cycle of binging again. I've had more than enough of that!

Look forward to hearing from you again soon.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome bean looking forward to seeing you in the threads!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks, everyone.

Shauninspain, I too feel like something has snapped in me that is different than other times. This is the first time I have felt confident in my desire to quit FOR GOOD.

Cai, right now my main focus is recognizing and reversing the negative thought patterns that always drove me to drink in the first place. I also want to take a more holistic approach to recovery that involves better overall health (changes in diet, exercise, positive affirmations, etc.). I struggle with depression and anxiety so I think getting healthier overall will help me tremendously. And, I don't know, I guess I'm learning as I go. I'm just trying to keep up the positive momentum I have right now.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeanSkillet View Post
Shauninspain, I too feel like something has snapped in me that is different than other times. This is the first time I have felt confident in my desire to quit FOR GOOD.
Those are magic words my friend.

Welcome to the forums -- this is a FANTASTICALLY supportive group of people all helping each other down that flower-strewn path to sobriety.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR beanskillet

D
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeanSkillet View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and happy to be alcohol free for 3 days.
Way to go on 3 days Bean, That's awesome! Even one day for an alkie like me is amazing. It's takes a bit of time, just remember though that feelings do pass and you won't die from having uncomfortable feelings in early recovery. Just ride them out.

I used to not be able to stand being uncomfortable in my skin for even a minute and I had to change the way I feel. But those days are fewer and farther in between. First we crawl, then we learn to walk.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome beanskillet..I think you will find this site a great support system. We are all dealing with similar struggles and it's nice to know you are not alone as well as the advice and encouragement you will receive. Congrats on 3 days, keep going, it's worth it
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Reading is good but posting and reading is even better. You could also join the "class of March 2013" in the daily support section of this site. You well find helpful, supportive folks at the same place in their recovery as you.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome BeanSkillet and congrats on 3 days!