Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Exhausted. Emotionally, Physically, & Mentally. But today is a new day!

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So, I was going to quit drinking Sunday, but there was a BBQ and I didn't. Got in a huge fight with my husband and decided that was the last day I would drink. Then Monday rolled around and I decided that I didn't want my last drink to have been a negative experience so I would have a few glasses of wine and end it on that. Fine and dandy until Tuesday 3:30 pm when I decide that quitting on an odd numbered day was a bad omen!!!!!!!! So I decide to make white wine marinated chicken. The marinade calls for 1/4 cup wine; I drink the rest. It hits me hard. I seriously think my body/mind are rejecting alcohol because I was wasted, and I used to drink twice that and have no issues. Husband realized I was drunk, argument ensued. It was a bad night. Again.

Today I am done. Period. No more excuses. I had my last drink around 10pm and have my first dose of Antabuse in my purse. I will be taking it this afternoon. I have no trouble not drinking when I have a reason. I went 11 months last year and it was the best year of my life. I just have trouble the first few days, which is why I am trying the Antabuse. I'll be checking in here a lot today to help motivate me until my husband gets home and I can take my first pill. I am so tired of this issue defining me. I don't care about hiding it anymore. I am going to own this, not let it own me.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your first paragraph sounds exactly like me! I always think of my last drink as being this romantic farewell, were I take my last gulp and banish the bottle to the bin in triumph... Then the next day I'll find an excuse to drink again, like "I should probably start on a Monday" which then leads to "maybe start on the 1st day of the next new month" etc.

I'm new to this forum today too, but welcome
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Your first paragraph sounds exactly like me! I was always think of my last drink of being this romantic farewell, were I take my last gulp and banish the bottle to the bin in triumph... Then the next day I'll find an excuse to drink again, like "I should probably start on a Monday" which then leads to "maybe start on the 1st day of the next new month" etc.

I'm new to this forum today too, but welcome
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking... - YouTube
Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha! That is so funny. Thank you so much. I enjoyed that a lot!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hahah brilliant Rennet, laughed out loud at the sniffing glue part.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

glad you liked it.. sorry to make light in your thread pinot

The fact that you went 11 months before should give you a lot of confidence. I've quit smoking twice.. both times very far apart.. but it was really easy the second time because I knew exactly what to expect. It was just a waiting game. Drinking is definitely tougher but same concept hopefully will apply
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rennet View Post
glad you liked it.. sorry to make light in your thread pinot

The fact that you went 11 months before should give you a lot of confidence. I've quit smoking twice.. both times very far apart.. but it was really easy the second time because I knew exactly what to expect. It was just a waiting game. Drinking is definitely tougher but same concept hopefully will apply
I find if I quit drink I don't crave cigarettes as much and find it a lot easier to quit. The drink has been such an integral part of my life I think it's harder for me to quit. But when I drink, if I don't have a cigarette I get so agitated... Vicious circle.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm with you on this one. I'm done. I quit for a few weeks last month. I had days of shaking and crying at my shame, but after those days, I felt better and wasn't as depressed. My husband and I both are addicted. When he recently found out his bio dad passed away, he brought home a bottle of cabernet. it unfortunately brought back the desire to drink. I decided yesterday I was done, still I piled in the car and went and got my last big bottle and actually drank it all before going to bed. It was a big bottle a night for four nights straight. I rarely ever finish it, and would find myself finishing the last couple of glasses in the morning. I'm so done and am glad you are too. It will be a struggle, but we can do it. I will be thinking about you! Best of Luck
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I sure remember thinking there was never a good time to stop drinking, and there never was. But, the longer I waited for the right time, the worse it got.

I'm glad you're commited to sobriety.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I sure remember thinking there was never a good time to stop drinking, and there never was. But, the longer I waited for the right time, the worse it got.

I'm glad you're commited to sobriety.
I think for me, it's the daunting feeling that I'm never gonna have that "buzz" (if you can call it that) again? And then the next question that comes to mind is, how do you get over that (careful not to say that word replace).
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
I think for me, it's the daunting feeling that I'm never gonna have that "buzz" (if you can call it that) again? And then the next question that comes to mind is, how do you get over that (careful not to say that word replace).
I'm at a point now where sobriety is my number one priority. It took a lot to get to this point. A lot more than I expected I would ever let happen. As long as I'm sober I'm not letting getting anything get in the way of that. Of course I may relapse tomorrow and then my thinking will be all screwed up again, but I know other times I've quit I have tried to compartmentalize my drinking as one area of my life I need to improve. What's different this time is that it is all that matters.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your posts! I've kept busy all day despite feeling like crap the whole time. Could barely believe it when I was driving home from an appointment and was actually thinking of going to the store and getting wine!! Tried to tell myself I would quit after this weekend! Then I looked in the rear view mirror and saw my infant son looking back at me with a concerned look... like he knew what I was thinking and was begging me not to. I drove strait home.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you, Pinot. It does feel strange in the beginning - it's been part of us for so long. That strangeness will go way eventually - and you'll be free. You are on your way!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wink

Way to go Pinot----hang in there you have a great start. Keep up
the good work. We are all here for you.