Notices

Newbie - Found This Site After 6 Days Sober (Amen)

Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Newbie - Found This Site After 6 Days Sober (Amen)

I stumbled on this site while doing a search to find out what was happening in your body during the first seven days of sobriety. I'm a professional approaching 60 working away from home, and finding myself developing some dangerous drinking habits gradually over a period of years.

My inebriation is not witnessed, I drink alone, start early in the day on my days off, until mid-day, stop drinking until just before dinner, but none after dinner. When I am home I hide my drinking from my spouse, she catches me drunk about once a year but otherwise wants me to stick to one drink and I've been drinking behind her back. I haven't done a drink and drive for over 15 years. I've never had a DUI, and never missed one day of work due to alcohol. I have a lot of controls around me and my natural tendency is to keep things in control, (people tell me I am sometimes strong willed).

My drinks include 8% beer, wine, 80 proof vodka, 100 proof vodka, and starting in February of this year, I was regularly buying 151 rum. I drank em all straight except for a cube, a splash, or a squeeze. I would do 2 hours of multiple small amounts per hour with no problem. It was worse than ever this year. I have no stress to speak of, no big problems, I'm optimistic by nature, and was just feeding this beast, and losing my limits, every weekend. Eventually I got worried about the concentrated alcohol effects on my internal organs and went 50-50 with ginger ale. When I used up a big stockpile of liquor on April 21 I decided to quit for a while.

This is my *8th day sober*. Had low energy all weekend but today feel great. I bought a bottle of wine and a beer a few days ago but have no intention of drinking them. My eventual goal is one month sober and I am committed to this goal at the very least. I want to see if abstaining from alcohol improves my sleep (could be better), helps me to lose weight, improves my skin, gives me more energy, more control. My situation is not as extreme as many others but I aim to keep it from getting any worse. I am in good health, on no prescriptions, and get exercise.

I have read a lot on the forum already before I joined, and waited another day before my first post. I have had the complete range of emotions from all the posts I've read here, and especially have enjoyed reading all the encouraging words and goals achieved, high fives. That has really pumped me up and I'm glad I stumbled in here. I'll be talking to ya. I've got a lot of stories to share. Pretty busy during the week, though. (already past my bedtime)

Hey there,
Yogiebare
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on 8 days! This site is great and I wish I would have found it when I first quit. I was about 5 months sober when I found it.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a great post, yogie. Congratulations on your 8 days of sobriety. Those first few are challenging to say the least - but we never have to go back to that old life. I was 'older' too when I finally had enough and came here to get some support and encouragement. This place made all the difference.

We're happy to have you here with us. I'm sure hearing your stories will be helpful to all of us. Onward to Day 9.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Welcome Yogiebare , congratulations on 8 days. You made a good choice posting here on SR. A lot of good people here, stick around. SR is my lifeboat, grab an oar. God Bless
Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yogiebare thanks for the post.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Another Day Dry

My sleep was fitful and I hope to do better tonight. Day 9 sober, making my dinner of brown rice, kimchee, and crab.

I thank you all for stopping by and sharing some encouraging words. There will be more temptation, but for now the sea is calm.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hang in there

Originally Posted by Yogiebare View Post
I stumbled on this site while doing a search to find out what was happening in your body during the first seven days of sobriety. I'm a professional approaching 60 working away from home, and finding myself developing some dangerous drinking habits gradually over a period of years.
nice that you found this site
got you by a couple of years -- I'm 62 years old -- 5 1/2 years sober
hang in there

onehigherpower
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Talking Wowser

Onehigherpower,

It was getting to my bedtime and I talked myself into logging on for a minute.

You are an oldtimer of one month on the board and already in that short time you have been buzzing around like a bee from flower to flower averaging 10 messages a day.

There is a lot of therapeutic benefit in actively working on someone's behalf.

I like the idea of all that you accomplished in 30 days because it just so happens that my goal is to reach 30 days without alcohol. And so far I am winning.

Thanks for stopping by! You make me feel so young.

Hey there,
YB
It's *10 days* and counting.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I drank pretty much daily for many years, never got in any trouble, and fooled a lot of people including my wife who is a very intelligent person.

But I was unable to fool my body, which apparently, unbeknownst to me, was keeping score. As we age, the cumulative effects of the nightly abuse add up.

The good news is, the sooner you quit the sooner your body can start to recover. I now play competitive tennis 4 times a week year 'round with guys 20 years younger than me.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! Congrats on ten days sober!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say HI~
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile Hey There

Hey y'all,

Just wanted to check in, I'm up late because I have a 3 day weekend. When I got home this afternoon I did over a thousand jumping jacks. Then I took a cold shower and started writing.

And still not a drop to drink.

Tomorrow and Saturday will be hard for me, so I plan to spend more time with my new buds on this board and encourage them too.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great work on your 8 days!! Keep up the good work, take it one day at a time!! Educate yourself and get into one of the many programs out there..
Old 05-02-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations