Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Moderate Alcohol Withdrawal - Day 10 - Concerned no Improvement

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I visited here once previously and received great support - thank you for that at the time. Unfortunately I fell into bad habits after a relationship break down - loneliness is my trigger which I need to address.

FYI i’m 32 and i’ve had 4-8std drinks regularly for 5 or so years, usually more on a Fri/Sat. According to my Dr, who I honestly explained how I drank and why, he said I am typical “alcohol abuser” not a typical “alcoholic” (grey area I suspect). Regardless, I know I have an alcohol problem just like anyone else hence why I am trying to get on top of it now.

Anyway, my problem is this. I’m on day 10 without a drink. I have always had multivitamins, but now extra water and Thiamine also. The withdrawal effects i’ve had are waking up shaky which leaves quickly, legs tingling, "foggy" brain and a dull headache – all I can live/function with, but no improvement from day 2 to now. All the guidelines say that “mild to moderate” withdrawal (where my symptoms fit in) should last “7-11” days. Well, i’m at 10 days and there is no sign at all i’m getting better and if anything my headache is slightly worse.

I went to my Dr again yesterday out of concern and he just said "everyone is different" and to “not worry” as my problem is minor - also that there is presciption medicine to help me if I need it. Fair response I suppose, but I don’t want drugs to get me over a drug when I can cope without them.

I might be being very impatient so apologies if I am, but I am very much a worrying type, especially of a night. If I can get some level of confidence based on experiences (not medical advice as I understand the rules) what is happening may be normal, then it would be of great benefit. I have read other threads on this but none directly relate to symptoms that are mild but don’t seem to be improving.

Any sharing of your advice or experiences (whether yourself of for others) is sincerely appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd be inclined for you to go with your Dr - it certainly wasn't unusual for me to still be feeling pretty ordinary 10 days in...

of course if you think it would help you relax a little more, why not get a second opinion?

D
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tassie guy hi, I'm almost in parallel with you (on Day 12), it's just in the last few days I've really noticed a big difference in how I feel mainly without the headache. Are you eating well? I've made good food a top priority as I'm in recovery/convalesence -- fresh fruit and vegetables, plenty of good lean protein -- and a lot of early nights.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'd be inclined for you to go with your Dr - it certainly wasn't unusual for me to still be feeling pretty ordinary 10 days in...

of course if you think it would help you relax a little more, why not get a second opinion?

D
Hi D,
I actually did speak to a friend (Dr) who said the same thing - but it still was a bit "dont worry about" it.....

For sure about the 10 days - I know a mate who struggled much worse for months so its not the time itself, more that there is no improvement when apparently there should be.

Thank you for responding.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
Tassie guy hi, I'm almost in parallel with you (on Day 12), it's just in the last few days I've really noticed a big difference in how I feel mainly without the headache. Are you eating well? I've made good food a top priority as I'm in recovery/convalesence -- fresh fruit and vegetables, plenty of good lean protein -- and a lot of early nights.
Hi, Marcher13. OK, well that does sound promising and a relief to hear. It is really the headache/brain fog that is bothering the most as I really thought it would be gone or at least showing improvement.

Yeah, I am eating well and getting to bed earlier than normal (and I dont smoke, other drugs etc) - glad to hear your method is/has working for you. I guess I will just see over the next few days and fingers crossed I follow a similar path.

Thanks for the reassurance, much appreciated.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

who said there 'should be', TG?

We're all different...we all tend to beat ourselves pretty good when drinking tho...it takes time to heal....

if you still feel this way in 30 days then maybe its time to look for other reasons

D
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

who said there 'should be', TG?

D
Fair question. When I decided to give up, I read a fair bit on the topic to get knowledge on the subject - everything from Drs opinions to people experiences on forums such as this, including how best to "tackle" the situation.

It seemed "7-11 days" was the period to get through, so I guess I had expectations based on that and I haven't reached close to that - probably a bad move in hindsight.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I added more in case you thought I was being accusatory - I wasn't

sometimes I was ok after a few days - sometimes it took a month - this thing defies easy answers I think.

D
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm right with you... tomorrow will be day 10. For me, the days leading up to day 8 were the worst I've ever experienced. It was finally having the energy to exercise that cleared my head... and I've been eating some nice salads and fruits and veggies... I think that makes a huge difference in my cravings. I am constantly getting them, but I feel good. I just have to remember I won't feel good if I succumb to my cravings. Good luck. Keep it up, we started at the same time!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I added more in case you thought I was being accusatory - I wasn't

sometimes I was ok after a few days - sometimes it took a month - this thing defies easy answers I think.

D
No, didnt think that at all D - no worries.

30 days is probably right as to whether other factors exist - in fact my Dr said something similar which actually scared me a bit as I don't want to feel this way long term for whatever reason. Hopefully as per Marcher above things turn around for the better in the short term......

Thank you again for your responses.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Palimpsest View Post
I'm right with you... tomorrow will be day 10. For me, the days leading up to day 8 were the worst I've ever experienced. It was finally having the energy to exercise that cleared my head... and I've been eating some nice salads and fruits and veggies... I think that makes a huge difference in my cravings. I am constantly getting them, but I feel good. I just have to remember I won't feel good if I succumb to my cravings. Good luck. Keep it up, we started at the same time!
Hi Palimpsest, hopefully you continue feeling better - especially as it may be that you are over the hardest part. I exercise also, but maybe need to step that up a bit, well done on that effort.

Like you looking after yourself makes it a bit easier to forget about drinking - I more just want the symptoms to start improving! These are bad enough let alone want to start all over again - thanks for the post...and likewise keep it up.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

Tassie, I'm on day 34. I was exactly in your shoes a few weeks ago. I'm a big researcher... if I get a cold, a sinus infection, anything, I read all about it and need to know exactly what is going on in my body.

I found the same information that you did (initial withdrawal lasting varying amounts of time but usually one week or less). I felt similarly concerned because by day 15 I was still not feeling any better.

For me my major symptoms (in my case, being very tired and major sleep disruption) faded around the 25 day mark.

Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it; I've only had a problem for a few years and plenty of folks with longer drinking histories were back on their feet faster than me. Even now I still have some minor things that haven't resolved yet (cannot WAIT until I stop waking up with bloodshot eyes). But everything's getting better with time.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Well for me I will just say it took me about 2 months to stop shaking as much as I did..

As for headaches and fogginess ect.. A couple weeks to a month..

Just keep taking your vitamins and hydrating and eating well.. And if you saw your doctor then your all set..

Take your time relax, time takes time..

Congrats on your decision by the way..
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

TassieGuy you might like to join our March Class thread. We are all new to sobriety and discuss all sorts of issues, you'd be very welcome. There are a few Aussies in the class, I am one of them.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm day 12 and still have a bit of a headache. Once the initial euphoria of not having a full blown hangover wore off I have found the last few days tough going. I've slept and slept every spare moment I get. I'm eating whatever I can - healthy and non healthy :-/ anything to help top cravings.
Dark chocolate stops me wanting a drink but last night it brought on a headache so fast I've decided to quit that too.
I read somewhere here it takes a month for every year you drank to return to your former glory - so I'm looking at a couple of years, lol!!
Looking forward to feeling better too xxx